Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2010 5:55:34 PM EDT
So I donated blood the other day, and I called the number on the paper for my cholesterol number.
They said it was 190. I am 27 years old. 6'1" tall, and weigh 260. It's not a fat 260, I'm just fairly
heavy for some reason. I'm not a beanpole, or in "peak" physical condition, but I am not fat. So
what does that number mean to me?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It means dibs for others.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
NO MORE  BACON for you!...

ETA: Seriously 190 is high if its your "bad" cholesterol... and unless you look like arnold swartzeneggar at 25 then at 6 ft 1 " you should weigh in between  190-210.   As my Dad told my brother when he was 10 YO at the supper table "YOU ARE FAT, NOT BIG BONED FAT!....  I was like................and then my ass got whipped with a belt.....It was worth it....
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Well there are many different numbers to you cholesterol...what was the letters with the 190?

HDL good cholesterol
LDL bad cholesterol
triglycerides is the fat in your blood

I think more bacon should be added to your daily diet STAT!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
your fat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

your fat.

His or mine?

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you were fasting the test is meaningless.  Go to your doctor and get a fasting lipid panel.  That will tell you your total  cholesterol, LDL, HDL, and triglycerides.   LDL is the most important number.  Depending on your risk factors your LDL should range somewhere <160 to <100.   A lot of Dr.s believe <100 is optimal regardless of risk factors.  Some even treat to a taget of <70.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at your report and tell us the LDL vs HDL.
190 while kind of on the medium high side isn't bad at all if it's primarily HDL count, however, if that count is primarily LDL then you need a diet change.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Just goto the source...

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4500

Initial classification based on total cholesterol and HDL cholesterol

Total Cholesterol LevelCategory

Less than 200 mg/dL

Desirable level that puts you at lower risk for coronary heart
disease. A cholesterol level of 200 mg/dL or higher raises your risk.

200 to 239 mg/dL

Borderline high

240 mg/dL and above

High blood cholesterol. A person with this level has more than twice
the risk of coronary heart disease as someone whose cholesterol is
below 200 mg/dL.

HDL Cholesterol Level

Category

Less than 40 mg/dL

(for men)

Less than 50 mg/dL

(for women)

Low HDL cholesterol. A major risk factor for heart disease.

60 mg/dL and above

High HDL cholesterol. An HDL of 60 mg/dL and above is considered protective against heart disease.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
It just means you are close to being told you are no longer allowed to eat things that make life worth living.

I call dibs on your bacon rations.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm tellin ya I'm not fat. This is me, and my 3 year old in front of the alamo this last summer. I have actually lost a couple pounds since then, but
in this pic I was running 265 give or take. I have always been heavy, and as for the 190-210 idea yeah right. I would look like a beanpole if I weighed 190
not gonna happen unless I get cancer.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm tellin ya I'm not fat. This is me, and my 3 year old in front of the alamo this last summer. I have actually lost a couple pounds since then, but

in this pic I was running 265 give or take. I have always been heavy, and as for the 190-210 idea yeah right. I would look like a beanpole if I weighed 190

http://i39.tinypic.com/35i7tdz.jpg

Holy crap that killer shamu whale has a little girl this time!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

U RONG FO DAT! Funny! But RONG!

Yep, you don't look fat to me either but it has more to do with diet. You should see me - well under 180 and have recently developed full blown damned diabetes. I'm lucky to have it under control with only pills and diet but this crap all comes with age and diet. My advice is to start getting the diet under control and maybe some exercise before it get worse. Cholesterol isn't that hard to tame at your age/size.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Untreated?

Cholesterol =    345
Triglycerides = 1400

Treated?

Cholesterol =    135
Triglycerides = 200

Do I win the thread?

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
What is your waist measurement?  And I mean true, measured with a tape across your belly button, not your pants waist.

That will tell you a lot about your general level of fitness and excess body fat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#16]

You look fine weight wise and 190 is not that high. I view cholesterol as sort of a pseudo science.  For example:  my SIL runs about 30-40 miles a week has about 2 lbs of fat in her whole body, is practically a vegetarian although she does eat some chicken and fish.  Her cholesterol was over 230.  In other countries there are studies where the people have high cholesterol and low occurrence of heart disease.  So I always am skeptical of one number meaning a whole lot.  That being said there are plenty of simple diet changes that can drop your number by 20-30 points easily.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Untreated?

Cholesterol = 345

Triglycerides = 1400

Treated?

Cholesterol = 135

Triglycerides = 200

Do I win the thread?

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#18]

You're in good shape cholesterol wise.

Less than 200 total is ideal.  Total number to HDL should be a ratio of 4:1 or lower (200 to 50 for example).  3.5:1 is ideal.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top