Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/25/2004 3:54:03 PM EST
Saw a 23 cu. ft. "Freedom Safe" (made by Liberty Safe) at the local Orscheln shop on sale for $800 from the regular price of around $950. They also have "Centurion" safe, also made by Liberty Safe on sale for $650 or so ....

Any words on these safes? Both the Freedom and Centurion are 23 cu. ft. but the Centurion has 5 bolts located on one side of the door only, while Freedom has 5 bolts on each side of the door. Any experience/opinion on these safe is appreciated. Thanks.

MG87
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:55:43 PM EST
Buy Bigger!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:59:35 PM EST
Sorry, but I don't necessarily agree with the buy bigger, just get one. Get the size you can afford now. Make sure it is fire rated. I bought mine and sleep better ever since. It is full, but I'll just go out and buy a second one. I spend alot of time away, working out of town, I always was nervous when I was away and my wife would leave town for a week-end, I'd think "my guns" they are unprotected! Now I don't care, they are locked up in a fire resistant safe. Besides, it would take longer to get into two safes then one big one. My recomemdation to anyone with guns, get a safe!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:58:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By TrksNguns:
Sorry, but I don't necessarily agree with the buy bigger, just get one. Get the size you can afford now. Make sure it is fire rated. I bought mine and sleep better ever since. It is full, but I'll just go out and buy a second one. I spend alot of time away, working out of town, I always was nervous when I was away and my wife would leave town for a week-end, I'd think "my guns" they are unprotected! Now I don't care, they are locked up in a fire resistant safe. Besides, it would take longer to get into two safes then one big one. My recomemdation to anyone with guns, get a safe!

Agreed. This is exactly why I am looking at a safe with 20-25 guns capacity under $1K. The Freedom safe is rated at 20 minutes for 1200 degrees. The door seal will expand when exposed to heat, sealing the guns inside from external heat. I plan to put the same in the basement (walk-out) just next to my main water line. If the house should catch fire, I am hoping the broken water line will keep the safe cooler.
Top Top