Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/11/2013 1:15:55 PM EDT
My laptop came bundled with windows 8, I hate it.

Before that I was rocking my homemade PC with XP installed for what seemed like forever, since 2004 anyway.

XP was great for my purposes, easy to use and change settings, games functioned just fine, I was able to do all my paperwork on there and then of course music and video.

I have disliked 8 since I started it up the first time. The laptop came with enough bloatware to keep me busy for the first 3 hours, then I had to install an aftermarket start menu (seriously microsoft, what the fuck is with that), and now I am continually getting freeze ups on idle.

I have a corporate copy of XP but I don't want to use it since they are going to kill support for it soon.

I dabbled with a dual booted linux machine in college but it was more for curiosity than anything, nothing I used was really compatible with it, I was recently reading that Ubuntu now is very user friendly, and with Steam supporting linux now it seems like it might be worth trying again.

Who uses it and do you think it will work for me? I only game maybe 3-4 hours a week, usually on Sunday night. I have to write up and save contracts and estimates, and I like to watch Netflix and Youtube. The rest of the time on  my PC is pretty much just surfing or in the forums.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 1:21:02 PM EDT by Tod-13]
1. They added a bunch of stuff in that does things like sends your desktop searches and whatnot to Amazon and other places. Look that up or maybe someone else will describe it in more detail.

2. It works OK, until you need stuff that doesn't. For me it was CDs and DVDs. Ubuntu burning seems to be broke for years now and simply not work my hassle.

3. They also did a Windows 8 thing by putting in their Unity interface which makes it difficult to impossible to customize. My girlfriend gets migraines reading on certain colors. It took some searching and work to even do something simple like change the color of highlighted/selected text.

I use a different Linux (can't remember what) for my girlfriend's research desktop. She's working on a PhD.

We use Windows or Mac for other stuff.

Android phones.

ETA: Added point 3,
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:23:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 1:26:22 PM EDT by Alpaca]
The Unity Windows Manager is terrible.

If you liked using XP... I would suggest grabbing Kubuntu (comes with KDE Windows Manager) or grab Linux Mint... the Cinnamon desktop is also a lot better than Unity.

The gaming options are pretty limited... don't expect to play many games

You are also screwed in regards to Netflix.  Netflix uses Silverlight to play movies, Silverlight is Microsoft and they haven't exactly ported their DRM system to Linux...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:23:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 1:26:50 PM EDT by BangStick1]
I've been tinkering with Ubuntu and Linux Mint and Ubuntu Studio.

The operating systems are fast and clean.  Mint has a more refined look to it and

comparable to Windows.  Ubuntu has more a Mac feel, IMHO.

All will require some ability to use the command line in the terminal but there

is plenty of help out there.  The distros I have all came with IRC and usually

someone is there to answer basic questions.  Harder problems can be researched

on the forums.

They all seem a bit glitchy in spite of all of the claims of stability.  YMMV.

Steam has a client for Linux now and there are some native games for Linux.

NVIDIA is providing driver support on Linux now, as well.  There may be more

games to come.  Time will tell.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:25:16 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alpaca:

If you liked using XP... I would suggest grabbing Kubuntu (comes with KDE Windows Manager) or grab Linux Mint... the Cinnamon desktop is also a lot better than Unity.
View Quote

Unrelated note, you may be wanted for questioning regarding an incident related to death of an innocent goat.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:25:51 PM EDT
Just man up and install Debian.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:27:35 PM EDT
I use Fedora 19 on a dual boot system when I don't have to use Windows 7.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:28:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Undefined:
View Quote

Interesting, reading about it now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:28:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hauslp:

Unrelated note, you may be wanted for questioning regarding an incident related to death of an innocent goat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hauslp:
Originally Posted By Alpaca:

Beats using Unity... which is basically you and the goat are flipped ... and that fucking goat is going to town on you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:29:47 PM EDT
I'll go back to Windows 98....I'll do it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:30:55 PM EDT
I've been using Ubuntu for like 8 years.

When it went to Unity, I had to roll back.  Fucking terrible.  I'm running an old version of Ubuntu still.  I'd say go for something like Mint instead.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:31:23 PM EDT
Linux Mint

XFCE if you want speed
Cinnamon or KDE if you want looks

Either will run fine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:32:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDestructo:

When it went to Unity, I had to roll back.  Fucking terrible.  I'm running an old version of Ubuntu still.  I'd say go for something like Mint instead.
View Quote
It's still Linux. If you don't like Unity, get rid of it and install Gnome, KDE, or whatever floats your boat.

A Linux distro is really just a starting point. You can change anything you like, at will.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:33:07 PM EDT
I use it everyday and it does everything that I need it to and more.  I like having full control over the OS.

Don't go XP.  Support ends soon and it's going to be a zero day nightmare.  Windows 7 is a good OS if you want MS.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:33:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Undefined:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:33:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Subnet:
It's still Linux. If you don't like Unity, get rid of it and install Gnome, KDE, or whatever floats your boat.    

A Linux distro is really just a starting point. You can change anything you like, at will.
View All Quotes

Listen to this guy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:34:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
View Quote

http://reactos.org/

You're welcome!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:34:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tod-13:

1. They added a bunch of stuff in that does things like sends your desktop searches and whatnot to Amazon and other places. Look that up or maybe someone else will describe it in more detail.

View Quote

They did this so the programmers could get paid.  

They've come to the realization that software development costs money

and they don't get enough from donations from the users.  

You can turn that feature off.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:35:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tony-Ri:

You're welcome!
View All Quotes

You're welcome!
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:35:56 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Yes, but telling someone who is looking for a simple solution that they can put together their own operating system is probably going to be a non-starter.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:37:09 PM EDT

Yes, but telling someone who is looking for a simple solution that they can put together their own operating system is probably going to be a non-starter.
View All Quotes

It's a bit of a paradox, because anyone who can manage to tweak a Linux distro to suit them for daily use, can damn sure figure out how to make Windows 8 not suck.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:37:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 3one5:

Listen to this guy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3one5:

Listen to this guy.

I would generally agree, but the last time I installed Ubuntu with Unity I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to open a shell and gave up... it was the most retarded interface ever.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:39:36 PM EDT
Bill Gates suck dicks!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:42:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wegs:

Bill Gates suck dicks!!!!!!!
View Quote
Maybe, but he hasn't been the CEO of Microsoft in forever.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:44:02 PM EDT
I  use "Classic Shell" (www.classicshell.net) to "obscure" the Windows 8 crappy desktop and make it more like Windows 7 (Which I liked). It also allows you to simulate an XP desktop to a limited degree.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:48:28 PM EDT
If you want a minimum amount of headache... I would suggest just buying and installing Windows 7... then everything will work like you expect and all that Windows only software will keep on working.

Are you running Windows 8.1?  I thought they made a change so that you could basically get something like your classic desktop back?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:49:55 PM EDT
Here, try this if you are using Windows 8.1: http://www.gizmag.com/windows-81-modern-ui/29552/
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:50:52 PM EDT
It's a bit of a paradox, because anyone who can manage to tweak a Linux distro to suit them for daily use, can damn sure figure out how to make Windows 8 not suck.  
View All Quotes

The fact that you have to un-suck it out of the box is what throws me. I tried Vista when it came out, hated the UAC stuff and spent too much time with network problems, went back to XP, then I had windows 7 for a bit which wasn't terrible once it was set up. So far I hate windows 8.

I am at a new point now though, I had boxes of boot discs and computer hardware in my den and I could always switch to an older OS if I was having trouble. I tossed all my stuff away and made my den into a play room for the baby so all I have to work with is a laptop. I don't live on my computer anymore and we have my wifes laptop with Windows 7 on it so I want to experiment with linux.

Probably the ideal set up would be dual booting with windows 7 since it was the least sucky of the 3 since XP. I would have to track down a good copy of it in a retail store somewhere though, the only one I have is the home edition 32-bit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:55:22 PM EDT
I've developed a rather sour opinion of people who freak out about Windows 8.x

Use it for 30 minutes, once you figure where things went you are good to go.

Other OS's are awesome, but the bleating of "But it's different!!!".

No foolin.  It's tech.  It changes.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:56:10 PM EDT
Get Mint!

I like the MATE version. Gnome 3 went all unity stole and I hate it.  MATE is a fork of gnome 2, with all the old school gnome goodness.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:59:49 PM EDT
I had an old desktop that was running Windows Vista (very poorly I might add), so I threw Kubuntu on it and use it as a linux box now. It works great and serves the intended purpose.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:01:31 PM EDT

How about windows 7?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:02:49 PM EDT
I used to run Ubuntu, then after every update it was off to Google to figure out how to unfuck everything.

I got tired of it and bought a mac.

Flame on...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:03:42 PM EDT
I would use xp and forget it.  Just make sure to back up copies of all service packs and updates before it is discontinued.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:04:40 PM EDT

You're welcome!
View All Quotes

You're welcome!

Check it every decade to see if they've ever caught up to Windows 2000.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:06:25 PM EDT
I use Mint 16.  Which is based on Ubuntu.

Desktop environment I use is cinammon (now 3.0).  

I will say, Mint 16 is rather snappy compared to 15.   Maybe it's just me.   15 seemed a tad on the slow side.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:08:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Pacodutaco:
I would use xp and forget it.  Just make sure to back up copies of all service packs and updates before it is discontinued.
View Quote

Don't XP computers have a pretty high rate of infection?

Why not use Windows 7?   I went from XP to Win 7 and didn't notice much a learning curve at all.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:09:05 PM EDT
Linux Mint Cinnamon has been working well for the last installs I've done.  As good as you're going to get for Linux.

Windows 7 has been working well for me.  I've tried Windows 8 and hated it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:19:01 PM EDT
While I prefer windows 8, Ubuntu is capable enough. Despite the hate Unity is fine. I can't stand KDE. If you have time to mess with it give it a shot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 2:32:39 PM EDT by all4bao]
Windows 8 is a piece of crap.  It's made for glue sniffing, crayon munching brainless idiots.  Why would you made an operating system designed for a tablet and have it on desktops, laptops, and enterprise environment?  Microshit
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:34:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gcw:
Linux Mint

XFCE if you want speed
Cinnamon or KDE if you want looks

Either will run fine.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:43:35 PM EDT
Another vote for Linux Mint for a first timer. I'm mostly a Fedora user, but its not as user friendly until you get the basics of Linux down.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:00:02 PM EDT
And with that power and configurability lies the problem.  For the average user who is looking for a low or no cost replacement for Windows, that kind of configuration is going to be a significant enough chore that frustration will rapidly set in.  Look what happens the minute casual distro users run into a USB, codec, or peripheral incompatibility....

That's the only reason I shake my head at the chorus of 'ZOMG UBUNTUMINTKUBUNTUFEDORAGENTOO!" posts when someone asks about alternatives to Windows X

That said, for a user that can stick with it and do the research, it's an amazing education in personal computing.

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 3:02:42 PM EDT by dara]
Originally Posted By all4bao:
Windows 8 is a piece of crap.  It's made for glue sniffing, crayon munching brainless idiots.  Why would you made an operating system designed for a tablet and have it on desktops, laptops, and enterprise environment?  Microshit
View Quote

You do realize the Metro UI is optional right? Completely avoidable. It works great on tablets btw.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:03:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:10:55 PM EDT
I want to try Mint, but when I boot I get an F'ed up screen with garbled graphics and it just sits there.
Wax OS did the same but after an hour finally booted. I guessing its a driver issue? It's an old Dell 1501.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:18:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By all4bao:
Windows 8 is a piece of crap.  It's made for glue sniffing, crayon munching brainless idiots.
View Quote

Custom made for GD?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:59:23 PM EDT
I am creating a boot disk for mint right now.

It took me 45 minutes just to find a DVD-RW, my pc supplies are super low right now, time to start working on another box of geek gear from the looks.

I tossed everything I had into the recycle bin and shot all my hard drives with handgun while I was on a fire misson to clear out my den, I got a little carried away.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:24:19 PM EDT
The douche bag in charge of Ubuntu/Canonical is a libtardtastic POS, and probably has backdoors opening up straight to 0bama's thugs and the NSA.

Nevertheless, Ubuntu, and several of its derivatives, is one of the easier Linux distros to set up and actually use on the desktop. I prefer KDE, so I use Kubuntu.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:25:32 PM EDT
I am creating a boot disk for mint right now.

It took me 45 minutes just to find a DVD-RW, my pc supplies are super low right now, time to start working on another box of geek gear from the looks.

I tossed everything I had into the recycle bin and shot all my hard drives with handgun while I was on a fire misson to clear out my den, I got a little carried away.
View Quote

Man, that's doing it the hard way.   Make a USB boot disk.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:28:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tc2k11:
The douche bag in charge of Ubuntu/Canonical is a libtardtastic POS, and probably has backdoors opening up straight to 0bama's thugs and the NSA.

Nevertheless, Ubuntu, and several of its derivatives, is one of the easier Linux distros to set up and actually use on the desktop. I prefer KDE, so I use Kubuntu.
View Quote

That.
I used to recommend Ubuntu - no more.

Trying to decide which to recommend now - maybe fedora?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top