Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2010 10:15:15 AM EDT
I am going to be in Mexico for a week at a resort with internet access and was wondering if this would be a good way to avoid international roaming charges on my cell phone. I will of course have my laptop with me.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am going to be in Mexico for a week at a resort with internet access and was wondering if this would be a good way to avoid international roaming charges on my cell phone. I will of course have my laptop with me.
Thanks!

yeah, as long as the connection is decent, it should work fine.  i use it to keep in touch with my sister who is living overseas.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup! Works great... Free computer to computer calls.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#3]
make sure you know when its on so you don't embarrass your wife
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Ichat which is like skype I believe...

I enjoy it, I am out of town all the time and for long periods of time (months)  It is nice to see some faces instead of just voices.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Works great for me. I use it to talk to my family in North Carolina. no problems so far.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Works great.  its been good for me to keep in contact with my Dad who is living in Kuwait.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the web-based version of Google Talk, as it supports audio and video. It's very, very easy to use.

I used to use Skype for this, but honestly...the client application itself is a bit too "heavy" for my tastes, and I really appreciate the elegant simplicity of Google Talk.

Just my two centavos.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Skype to Skype calls are free.

Skype to regular phones are not.

Sound quality sucks ass on Skype to phone (if you're on the receiving end). Experience - Dad calling on Skype (laptop on wireless G) to my mother's T-Mobile cell phone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Skype to Skype calls are free.

Skype to regular phones are not.

Sound quality sucks ass on Skype to phone (if you're on the receiving end). Experience - Dad calling on Skype (laptop on wireless G) to my mother's T-Mobile cell phone.

My company has recently started doing conf calls on skype....it's free and the sound quality is far better than the conference service that we used for years.

Having said that...all of the users call in via Skype on their computers - not land lines
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I use skype quite regularly, free calls and it's not that bad going from PC to PC or Laptop.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I paid $30 dollars for a year's worth of unlimited calling to any number in the US, and my wife has never complained about the call quality.

I imagine that if someone has an issue with call quality, it may be their connection or their microphone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds great so far but I am wanting to use it to call back home when we are gone. How much is it to call a landline/cell phone and do you pay as you go or is it a subscription service and if so how long do you have to sign up for.
Oh, can I call forward my cell phone to a skype number?
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Works for me. I have a cousin that lives in China and we talk all the time. Voice quality is pretty good.
Quoted:
Sounds great so far but I am wanting to use it to call back home when we are gone. How much is it to call a landline/cell phone and do you pay as you go or is it a subscription service and if so how long do you have to sign up for.
Oh, can I call forward my cell phone to a skype number?
Thanks again!

Did you consider talking to skype. I know I did and they answered all my questions. Including all the ones your asking. I always prefer to here it from the horses mouth myself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#15]
We use it to talk to our deployed son when he has access to Internet.

It works as good as the Internet connection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top