Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/4/2007 1:51:34 PM EDT
No replies in three days in the Handgun Sec. The Mosquito seems to be the new one. Looks a little light. They have a Trailside (?) that is heavier but may be discontinued.

But, the object of my affections is one that my gun shop has for $499 that doesn't show up on the Sig site. It is beefier than the other two and if the reviews are good will be one of my Christmas presents. Has a rail for a light/laser too!

I think heavy, high quality .22 semi-auto pisols are goig the way of the dinosaurs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:52:48 PM EDT
i've heard too many problems w/ em....i'd just as soon recommend and opt for the Browning Buckmark, Ruger series, or Walther P22s

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:57:15 PM EDT
Mine looks coll with my gemtech on it. Thats about it though. Get a ruger with tactical innovations upper and I promise you wont be dissapointed. I had to have a sig when it came out, looking back I wish I would have shot one before I bought. If all you care about is looks though its the coolest one around.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:00:06 PM EDT
How do you hang a laser on the Ruger?
The heavy Sig looks and feels like an old Colt Marksman!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:02:24 PM EDT
if you were asking about a laser because of the gemtech comment those arent lasers. get a walther with their laser it looks sweet!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:03:23 PM EDT
I got rid of my Mosquito. It was too unreliable. It even came with the two springs. I tried them both with lots of different ammo. It was good with some and crappy with others.

My ruger eats everything.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:04:56 PM EDT
The Mosquito looks like another light weight P22.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:11:05 PM EDT
I just recently bought one to use to teach my wife how to shoot pistols (loud bangs make her gun shy). I put about 100 rounds through it as a test using 2 different ammo mfgs; it shot fairly nice, but I had 4 un/load malfunctions in that time period. I am hoping that a breakin period will help, but the consensus of reviews that I have read here have been to go Ruger and avoid the Mosquito and P22.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:14:19 PM EDT
I would buy the P22 before the Mosquito. But this other Sig. looks like a winner. Hell, it cost more so it is better. Right?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:24:02 PM EDT
Where do you see the Trailside on Sigs website? I traded up from a P22 to a Trailside and am much happier. Very accurate and the only reliability problems were when I lost the trigger bar spring during reassembly
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:34:16 PM EDT
I saw plenty of Mosquitos and a few Trailsides on Gunbroker. Nothing anywhere about the other one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:28:24 AM EDT
Go Buckmark, or if you got the $$ a Smith 41.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:40:29 AM EDT
Smith and Wesson Model 41 is worth the money, accurate and reliable.

Shootist
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:52:12 AM EDT
Had 2 mosquitos, got rid of both.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:00:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stumps:
Had 2 mosquitos, got rid of both.

+1, me too.

Both had numerous problems. Failures to feed and extract namely. I had a few light strikes. A few times the slide wouldn't cycle at all. I couldn't go a single magazine without at least one failure. And yes, I was sure the recoil springs were correctly installed on both pistols.

I sent the first in for repairs and Sig instead replaced it. Four months later I received the second pistol. Same problems.

I traded it in for a Ruger 22/45. With the Ruger I haven't had a single failure in 500 rounds (aside from the occasional dud round).

This is just my experience, others have had relatively trouble free Mosquitoes. I didn't.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:06:54 AM EDT

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:45:01 AM EDT
I've got an S&W .22 that I've had for 15 or so years. I don't think it has the rail I need for a laser/light attachment. I'll check it!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:54:14 AM EDT
I cannot comment on the mosquito, but my sig trailside is a great gun. The only weakness is that the mags are plastic and outrageously expensive.
I also have two buckmarks and they are great shooters all around, browning mags are inexpensine, and made from steel like they should be.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:03:41 AM EDT
You'll have better luck getting a conversion kit for your Glock/1911/Beretta/AR
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:12:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2007 8:15:17 AM EDT by RunsWithScissors]
Every thread I've read on this subject indicates that: a pot metal gun that
works (Walther P22), is better than a Pot metal gun that does not work (Mosquito).

Lots of people who love their P226R buy these and end up scratching their heads
wondering how to make it go away.

My Brother had a Trailside's and the nickel finish flaked off and wouldn't lock back the slide.
and that was the one he got in exchange for the *really* disfunctional trailside.

His S&W 41 is the tits, and the P22 is a trooper.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 1:50:17 PM EDT
A German guy on rimfirecentral spilled the beans on the P22 and Mosquito early on.
Short version:
Neither Walther or SIG had anything to do with the P22/Mosquito designs or construction.

Slightly longer version:
They are both conversions of replica blank-firing guns sold in Europe. The main task of that conversion process was making the barrel a separate part (it was originally integral with the frames,and blocked to prevent chambering anything but blanks). He claimed (having seen both) that the guns' designs were not strengthened at all to help withstand the stress of real 22LR ammo. He posted links to German gunshop pages that showed the original blank-guns' internals, and they appeared identical to the P22 and Mosquito.

I agree that they look nifty, but some of the early P22 reports were comical in their failure rates.

------

My opinion: zinc is zinc, and I don't own either one.
For $125 I'd have thought about it, for $250+ they are both a joke.
Rugers are a far better deal-- they cost more and aren't as tacticool, but they shoot darn straight, and last a very long time.
~
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 1:56:13 PM EDT
I just ordered a sig mosquito it will be here tomorrow. I read a lot about them and they can be made to run good.
Top Top