Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2006 2:52:39 PM EDT
What can you tell me about ROTC programs?, I heared that they will pay for the colledge is this true or is that just regular enlistment?, and if they do is it 100% or partial, and do they actually pay or, or do they reimbers you?.... What other advantages, and dissadvantages are there, and what else can you tell me about it?....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:54:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:55:50 PM EDT
IM/email me, I can tell you everything you need to know..
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:58:09 PM EDT
I'm in AFROTC

ROTC pays for your school A LOT more than enlistment does.

Step DO NOT TALK TO A RECRUITER ABOUT ROTC!!!!!!!!!!! Their job is to get you to put pen to paper and ship off to basic training. They do not know, nor care about commissioning programs, and will fill your head with JUST enough BS to make you think that enlistment will be the way to go.

Call your local ROTC detachment and find out the skinny. Go to MY detachment's website if you want.

www.miami.edu/aerospace-studies

There you will find the REAL deal.

Scholarships are on a competetive basis, and even if you don't get one comming right out of high school, you can get one at any point in your college career.

I have been on a ROTC scholarship my whole time in college, and have loved every second of it. ROTC is a lot of bullshit, but at the same time, it is a lot of fun too, and I have made friends for life and done things that I would never have had a chance of doing without ROTC, and I'm not even on active duty yet!

Also, don't let any Academy puke try to sell you on the Zoo as being the only way to get to pilot school. I'm getting the SAME gold bar when I graduate as you get at the Joint, and I go to the SAME pilot school that they do as well.

ROTC produces BETTER officers than the academies, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

IM me if you have more specific questions, and I'll be glad to answer them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 3:12:59 PM EDT by 30Caliber]
I suspect things are different now, but when I went through college 10 years ago, NROTC was the only branch that would guarantee an active-duty commission upon graduation. Most of the AFROTC and AROTC cadets in my year group didn't go active duty. I can also tell you that it's difficult to get a USMC commission through NROTC (not many slots).

Find out whether you get a commission in the Reserves or in the regular armed forces (and what the chances of augmenting are and what that means as far as your career).
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:10:35 PM EDT
AFROTC you WILL go to active duty
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:13:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
I'm in AFROTC

How so? The scholarship will pay for your schooling, but if you decide to resign your commission, then you need to pay it all back. Going enlisted, you get $50,000 (last I checked) over four years while going to school. It doesn't matter how much your schooling costs, it's still $50,000.
The scholarship only pays for exactly what it costs to go to school. It shouldn't take an economics major to do a cost/benefit analysis on that.

Step DO NOT TALK TO A RECRUITER ABOUT ROTC!!!!!!!!!!! Their job is to get you to put pen to paper and ship off to basic training. They do not know, nor care about commissioning programs, and will fill your head with JUST enough BS to make you think that enlistment will be the way to go.

Call your local ROTC detachment and find out the skinny. Go to MY detachment's website if you want.

Very true.

Just like the regular recruiters, those in charge also have quotas they need to make. So they will give you just what you want to hear, to get you to sign up. No difference from real recruiters.

Scholarships are on a competetive basis, and even if you don't get one comming right out of high school, you can get one at any point in your college career.

Whereas enlisting will give you up to $50,000. Even those who are just above a drooling retard will get the GI Bill, where you pay $1200 and get $28,000.

I have been on a ROTC scholarship my whole time in college, and have loved every second of it. ROTC is a lot of bullshit, but at the same time, it is a lot of fun too, and I have made friends for life and done things that I would never have had a chance of doing without ROTC, and I'm not even on active duty yet!

Not at all different than going enlisted.

Also, don't let any Academy puke try to sell you on the Zoo as being the only way to get to pilot school. I'm getting the SAME gold bar when I graduate as you get at the Joint, and I go to the SAME pilot school that they do as well.

Academy grads usually get preferential treatmnet when going for assignments. It's just a fact of life.

ROTC produces BETTER officers than the academies, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

How so? For never having been on active duty, you can't make that claim. I've seen good Academy officers. In fact, a couple of my favorite officers were out of the Academy. And my least favorite officer was ROTC.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:21:20 PM EDT
Yes, you can get college money after enlisting, but it is a longer and tougher road with fewer reawards. If you do ROTC you enter active duty as an OFFICER with all the pay/benefits/privelages. If you go to college either while enlisted or after separation you do not become an officer (unless you do OTS). On top of me being on a full scholarship which pays for every college cost I can worry about, I get a non-taxable stipend just for sucking air, and have ever since i was a freshman.

When I mentioned finding out about the "real deal" I was refering to the real deal regarding ROTC/college programs.

And as for the Academy vs ROTC, Academy officers come out socially retarded, and tend to treat their enlisted like shit. That's why the Air Force created Air and Space Basic Course, to treat Academy officers how to act like a human being. Furthermore, ROTC grads routinely outperform Academy grads at competetive schools like pilot training because they had to be the BEST at ROTC to get there, whereas they didnt have to compete anywhere near as much at the Academy.

And Academy grads are only treated favorably by other Academy grads, everyone else knows that they are assholes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:27:15 PM EDT
Well, first you become a Spot, a Kididiot, the lowest form of life on the planet. Everybody is above you, including the lowest ranking EM out of basic.
They will make you bark like a dog.
They will hold a sword under your genitals as you do pull ups.
They will make you sweat blood.
They will get in your face.
They will make you walk through chest deep water in early April at Fort Drum, NY, then sit in a night ambush.
Then they will make you walk all the way back to main post with no sleep in 24 hours.
They will give you 2 hours of sleep after that 24 hours.
They will ambush you any time, anywhere. Including while in a raft on the Hudson River.
If you don't measure up, they will slaughter you, and feed you to the rest of the class.

No, I was not in the ROTC, but I did assist in some training for some Sienna Kididiots.

Bilster
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:31:49 PM EDT

Yes, you can get college money after enlisting, but it is a longer and tougher road with fewer reawards. If you do ROTC you enter active duty as an OFFICER with all the pay/benefits/privelages. If you go to college either while enlisted or after separation you do not become an officer (unless you do OTS). On top of me being on a full scholarship which pays for every college cost I can worry about, I get a non-taxable stipend just for sucking air, and have ever since i was a freshman.

When I mentioned finding out about the "real deal" I was refering to the real deal regarding ROTC/college programs.

And as for the Academy vs ROTC, Academy officers come out socially retarded, and tend to treat their enlisted like shit. That's why the Air Force created Air and Space Basic Course, to treat Academy officers how to act like a human being. Furthermore, ROTC grads routinely outperform Academy grads at competetive schools like pilot training because they had to be the BEST at ROTC to get there, whereas they didnt have to compete anywhere near as much at the Academy.

And Academy grads are only treated favorably by other Academy grads, everyone else knows that they are assholes.

Jeez dude,
you haven't got a clue about active duty. Everything you've said is because someone told you so. Not because that's what you've seen. Chill out and quit trashing academy grads.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:36:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By YukonJack69:
Jeez dude,
you haven't got a clue about active duty. Everything you've said is because someone told you so. Not because that's what you've seen. Chill out and quit trashing academy grads.

I've had plenty of experience with Academy cadets, and they've gone out of their way to confirm just about every stereotype I have ever had about them.

I had an academy cadidiot try to stand up an E-5 on base for not saluting him. He (a C/2c) was trying to chew out an active duty NCO, on the NCO's base, for not saluting, even though enlisted are not required to salute cadets.

Not to mention many other stories of douchebagness that I have encountered with those clowns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:44:30 PM EDT

Jeez dude,

I've had plenty of experience with Academy cadets, and they've gone out of their way to confirm just about every stereotype I have ever had about them.

I had an academy cadidiot try to stand up an E-5 on base for not saluting him. He (a C/2c) was trying to chew out an active duty NCO, on the NCO's base, for not saluting, even though enlisted are not required to salute cadets.

Not to mention many other stories of douchebagness that I have encountered with those clowns.

Fortunately they are not all douchebags. Yes, they produce them but ROTC has their fair share.
Keep an open mind, I guarantee once you get to UPT you'll find one or two you like
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:45:25 PM EDT
The commisioning programs in this country are hit and miss.

I, in my mere 7.5 years of Army active duty (Bowing to internet commandos that know better)..Have found that many good officers come from West Point, and, from ROTC.

Officers should be delt with like men. Some are good, some are bad.

I have to say....Most are good. I have met many wondorful leaders of men among officers.

I remember one time at NTC, Our Squadron CO came and sat down in our track with us, and,
just BS'd like a dude.

LTC Soldner. Finest Cavalryman I've ever met.

Ah, I'll go on forever if I'm let to. Officers can be good people from any branch.
ROTC recruiters are who to ask.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:46:00 PM EDT

Fortunately they are not all douchebags. Yes, they produce them but ROTC has their fair share.
Keep an open mind, I guarantee once you get to UPT you'll find one or two you like

O I'm sure that's true. I of course am speaking in gross generalizations. ROTC has its fair share of tools too, but they dont seem to be as arrogant/mean as the Academy guys.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:55:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chromeluv:
IM/email me, I can tell you everything you need to know..

Same goes for me, im here if you need help on the NROTC side of things.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:03:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 4:08:17 PM EDT by CAR-10]

I'm in AFROTC

ROTC pays for your school A LOT more than enlistment does. [True.]

Step DO NOT TALK TO A RECRUITER ABOUT ROTC!!!!!!!!!!! Their job is to get you to put pen to paper and ship off to basic training. They do not know, nor care about commissioning programs, and will fill your head with JUST enough BS to make you think that enlistment will be the way to go. [True.]

Call your local ROTC detachment and find out the skinny. Go to MY detachment's website if you want. [True, or go to the nearest AFROTC Det.]

Scholarships are on a competetive basis, and even if you don't get one comming right out of high school, you can get one at any point in your college career. [Probably, if you don't wash out first that is. The atmosphere when I graduated was that you really need to have a technical degree to hope for any scholorship money from AFROTC.]

I have been on a ROTC scholarship my whole time in college, and have loved every second of it. ROTC is a lot of bullshit [True] , but at the same time, it is a lot of fun too [True as long as you run with the right crowd], and I have made friends for life and done things that I would never have had a chance of doing without ROTC [very true], and I'm not even on active duty yet!

Also, don't let any Academy puke try to sell you on the Zoo as being the only way to get to pilot school. I'm getting the SAME gold bar when I graduate as you get at the Joint, and I go to the SAME pilot school that they do as well. [True, I have no idea how or why anyone would put themselves through the academy.]

ROTC produces BETTER officers than the academies, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. [You need to wait until you've been on active duty for two years before you can make that statement. ASBC will be an eye opener for you-in a lot of ways.]

IM me if you have more specific questions, and I'll be glad to answer them. [That goes for me too.]

My comments are in red above.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:06:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 4:11:06 PM EDT by JustinOK34]
I commissioned through AFROTC in 2003, started out as an aircraft maintenance officer and I actually got picked up for UPT less than a year into active duty. (They send most ROTC types to their duty station before they go to tech school, and my tech school was delayed quite a few months.) Did ASBC in spring of 2004, started UPT late summer of 2004 and graduated Sept of 2005.

I've seen my fair share of AF officers from (pretty much) every commissioning source (USAFA, AFROTC, OTS, AMS, COT-lawyers/doctors, etc) and I've known some Navy/Marines that have come through USNA, NROTC, and OCS.

Fresh USAFA grads tend to have a chip on their shoulder (but there are plenty that I know that are totally cool). The ones that are senior Capt's and higher have usually mellowed out. However, they are smart, motivated, and well trained, I won't dispute that.

The few USNA grads I've known have all been cool dudes, and seemed normal to me.

Most ROTC/OTS types don't come across as rude types, and tend to work with others in a different way. They just seem easier to get along with up front. I think we're a little more laid back.

Either you're a good officer or you're not, I don't think it's right to label people based on their commissioning source, although it is fun to poke fun at it from time to time.

Edit - Feel free to IM/Email me with any questions as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:08:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CAR-10:
The atmosphere when I graduated was that you really need to have a technical degree to hope for any scholorship money from AFROTC.

That comes in cycles. I got a scholarship comming out of HS as a non-tech major, then the next year they tightened it up to tech-only, and now they are loosening it again. Call a ROTC Det to find out the current situation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:08:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 4:10:55 PM EDT by CAR-10]

Originally Posted By CAR-10:
The atmosphere when I graduated was that you really need to have a technical degree to hope for any scholorship money from AFROTC.

That comes in cycles. I got a scholarship comming out of HS as a non-tech major, then the next year they tightened it up to tech-only, and now they are loosening it again. Call a ROTC Det to find out the current situation.

No doubt it's changed, that kind of thing is cyclic and I'm glad to hear they've loosened up a little. Of course I did leave with a non-tech degree.

I'll just ask the new Lts that come into the office, I left the Det and I haven't looked back since.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:10:53 PM EDT
ROTC is great, but like has been said don't trust any recruiters, even the cadre don't necessarily have the best info. i was told i'd be doing computer work, and it turned out i'm doing civil engineering (AF version of Combat Engineering)
but the experience i'm getting is fantastic
you're best bet is to ask people who have recently commissioned (within the past 5 years or so)
feel free to email/pm me with any questions. i've got friends in most career fields and i can put you in touch with pilots, engineers, EOD techs (AF has some Officer EOD techs, not sure about other services), etc.

it's a great way to go, i just wish i had going ROTC right away in school, 'cause the scholarship rocks. pay is pretty good too
http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,78426,00.html

and you can't beat the experience - last year i went to 8 different countries on a 7 month deployment, my masters is being paid for, working towards my PE (professional engineering certification), and when i decide to get out i won't have any trouble finding a job

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:14:23 PM EDT
what is so popular about friggen AFROTC. so many kids in my class are goign for it.

PJ
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:24:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 4:26:06 PM EDT by dugedug]

Originally Posted By lsmlax006:
what is so popular about friggen AFROTC. so many kids in my class are goign for it.

PJ

Check it out for yourself and find out what. :)

May 06 grad/commission as O-1E.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:26:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 4:26:59 PM EDT by lsmlax006]

Originally Posted By dugedug:

Originally Posted By lsmlax006:

PJ

Check it out for yourself and find out what. :)

May 06 grad/commission as O-1E.

Im perfectley happy in the NROTC/MO side of things

PJ
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:37:54 PM EDT
And...I'm glad I'm Army.

If you have any questions about the Army ROTC program in general, let me know. I'm a 4th year cadolt that will be taking an extra year of school and I will commission next spring.
I'm not sure whether or not any of the other services allow you to drill with a Reserve/NG unit as a cadet, but the Army does, and you don't have to be prior enlisted to do so any more. The caveat is that you can't be on scholarship to do so.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 4:45:12 PM EDT by dugedug]

Originally Posted By Ranger_SXT:
[
How so? The scholarship will pay for your schooling, but if you decide to resign your commission, then you need to pay it all back. Going enlisted, you get $50,000 (last I checked) over four years while going to school. It doesn't matter how much your schooling costs, it's still $50,000.
The scholarship only pays for exactly what it costs to go to school. It shouldn't take an economics major to do a cost/benefit analysis on that.

And if you get the boot on active you loose the 50k. Also, it is not easy being on active and giong to school at the same time, especially enlisted. And the scholarships pay for a bit more than just the cost of tuition. There is also a monthly stippen for BAS @ $400/mo. + $300 per semester for books

Just like the regular recruiters, those in charge also have quotas they need to make. So they will give you just what you want to hear, to get you to sign up. No difference from real recruiters.

I have found quite the opposite true. AFROTC isn't under the pressure that enlisted recruiters are. Even though the enlisted recuiter I had was a straight up guy, I've never been given a hard recruiter line nor have heard anyone been given a line from the Cadre. I've seen AFROTC actually try to cut Cadets to get the numbers right for the year. Min. requirements are almost always getting tougher and there is a real competitiveness to get a commission.

Whereas enlisting will give you up to $50,000. Even those who are just above a drooling retard will get the GI Bill, where you pay $1200 and get $28,000.

Wish I would have used the GI Bill for what is was suppose to be for. But like many I pretty much blew it on junk. Again, getting money and having someone pay for school are two different things. I was living off the high horse till my GI bill ran out. Had a full ride through AFROTC and GI Bill all at once. Then bam by GI was all dried up and I had to go back to Romen Noodles.

Academy grads usually get preferential treatmnet when going for assignments. It's just a fact of life.
Assignments are based on performance, not were you graduated from. Show me otherwise and i'll show you disciplinary action in need. ;)

How so? For never having been on active duty, you can't make that claim. I've seen good Academy officers. In fact, a couple of my favorite officers were out of the Academy. And my least favorite officer was ROTC.

I have. I can. OTS have been the most laid back as far as my experience goes. Next is ROTC. Acad. grads are usually a-holes looking for the next promotion. Our Col. was OTS, but he will even admit that Academy cadets have been lacking as of late.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 4:48:31 PM EDT by SWO_daddy]

First of all, for someone who is just some college kid with a half-assed uniform, you sure do talk a lot of trash.

Your statement that people who get into academies had less competition than ROTC is plain old bullshit and called by anyone with a clue. You sound like a whiny little bitch that got OWNED when your USAFA application came back DENIED.

You had best hope someone reading this thread isn't going to become your CO along the way. If I were an AFA grad officer, I'd be finding out who you are ASAP and looking for a way to fuck with you, if only to give some credence to your stereotype. But I wouldn't fuck with you because I am an academy asshole, I would fuck with you because YOU are an asshole.

Be careful about the toes you step on today son, because they may well be connected to the ass you will have to kiss tomorrow.

SWO_Daddy
USNA 1988

DID YOUR PARENTS HAVE ANY CHILDREN THAT LIVED????

SIR, YES SIR!!!!

I BET THEY REGRET THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:49:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 9245:
What can you tell me about ROTC programs?, I heared that they will pay for the colledge is this true or is that just regular enlistment?, and if they do is it 100% or partial, and do they actually pay or, or do they reimbers you?.... What other advantages, and dissadvantages are there, and what else can you tell me about it?....

I'D look into navy myself. Thats what im thinking.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:51:23 PM EDT
I hear mention of pay, or a stipened, do ROTC programs actualy pay you?, and how does the GI bill factor into all of this?, and are the academys paid for to or are they out of pocket?, I'm so confused....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:02:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:

Your statement that people who get into academies had less competition than ROTC is plain old bullshit and called by anyone with a clue. You sound like a whiny little bitch that got OWNED when your USAFA application came back DENIED.

FYI: I got accepted to USAFA, and made the best decision of my life: I turned them down.

Be careful the toes you claim to have been stepped on, they may be attached to the foot you have to put in your mouth.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:03:39 PM EDT
AFAIK, there is no GIBILL for ROTC. You get scholarships instead. And yes, as an AFROTC cadet with a full ride tech scholarship I get a monthly BAS. Read my post again for what I get.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:03:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 5:12:45 PM EDT by Napoleon_Tanerite]

I hear mention of pay, or a stipened, do ROTC programs actualy pay you?, and how does the GI bill factor into all of this?, and are the academys paid for to or are they out of pocket?, I'm so confused....

I get a full ride ROTC scholarship which pays ALL tuition, fees, ect.

ON TOP OF THAT, I get 400/month tax free stipend to spend as I see fit (usually on ammo)
ON TOP OF THAT, I get 300/semester tax free to compensate for books (I dont buy books, so I spend the money on ammo)

*edited
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:11:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 5:19:15 PM EDT by JustinOK34]

Edit - Disregard!

Yeah it was $250/semester for me as well now that I think about it.

And let me know if you have any UPT questions
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:12:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 5:13:17 PM EDT by Napoleon_Tanerite]
sorry, you're right, it was 300/semester not 300/month

it used to be 250/sem, but they raised it 2 years ago.

editing post....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:15:55 PM EDT

FYI: I got accepted to USAFA, and made the best decision of my life: I turned them down.

Be careful the toes you claim to have been stepped on, they may be attached to the foot you have to put in your mouth.

Then you are a dumbass, junior.

I see a rough road ahead for you in the military.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:20:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 5:22:31 PM EDT by 9245]
So if you complete ROTC do you choose whethor you go active, reserve, or gaurd, what field, and where your stationed(or in my case where not to be stationed, NOT perminently overseas, NOT CA, NJ, NY, IL, or any other communist state....)?....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:23:59 PM EDT
Army gets 500/month tax-free stipend for 4th years. I think IIIs get 450, then 300 and 350 respectively for Is and IIs
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:29:00 PM EDT

So if you complete ROTC do you choose whethor you go active, reserve, or gaurd, what field, and where (or in my case where not NOT perminently overseas, NOT CA, NJ, NY, IL, or any other communist state....)?....

If you do AFROTC, you'll get a regular commission (they aren't doing the reserve commissions any more from what I heard recently) and you'll go to active duty. Some careers require a selection board (pilot/nav/ABM, OSI, Combat Controllers, and others) which you'll compete for well before your graduation/commissioning.

If you don't have a career that requires a selection board, you make a list of careers you want, and a list of bases you want to be stationed at. Most people get a career from their top three choices and same for bases.

Just so you know, Alaska is considered an overseas assignment, and its awesome up there. I was there for 10 months and I hope I can go back.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:36:34 PM EDT

So if you complete ROTC do you choose whethor you go active, reserve, or gaurd, what field, and where your stationed(or in my case where not to be stationed, NOT perminently overseas, NOT CA, NJ, NY, IL, or any other communist state....)?....

With few exceptions, you WILL go active duty after graduation. I have known a few people that are commissioned into the reserve as a defered entering of active duty. This was so they could go to med/law school, and then would go on active duty afterward.

As for assignments, EVERYTHING is competetive. You are rated on a few different criteria:

GPA
Physical Fitness Test
Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (like the SAT)
Field Training Performance (after you go to that)
Commander's Rating (counts for 50% of your overall selection total, so it's the biggie)

That is all calculated into an Order of Merit score.

You put in what you would PREFER, and the AF places you based on your preferences vs everyone else's. For example, if you want to be a pilot, and so do 1000 other people, the AF only needs 350 pilots that year. They rank all 1000 who want to be pilots based on their OM score, then draw a line. Everyone above the line goes to UPT, everyone below the line does not. The same holds true for base assignments, and other career fields.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:46:03 PM EDT
I got one of their full ride scholarships because initially I thought it was what I wanted to do. I ended up not staying in the program because it really wasn't for me. They pay for all of the schooling and give you a stipend which is nice. However I wouldn't assume that they will just pay for your school because the process I went through was very competitive. There are other scholarships for cadets who are in the middle of college that are separate but still they don't give them to just everyone.

Anyways in the end I am happy because I am making a helluva lot more outside the military and I have all of my freedom.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:48:50 PM EDT

With few exceptions, you WILL go active duty after graduation. I have known a few people that are commissioned into the reserve as a defered entering of active duty. This was so they could go to med/law school, and then would go on active duty afterward.

As for assignments, EVERYTHING is competetive. You are rated on a few different criteria:

GPA
Physical Fitness Test
Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (like the SAT)
Field Training Performance (after you go to that)
Commander's Rating (counts for 50% of your overall selection total, so it's the biggie)

That is all calculated into an Order of Merit score.

You put in what you would PREFER, and the AF places you based on your preferences vs everyone else's. For example, if you want to be a pilot, and so do 1000 other people, the AF only needs 350 pilots that year. They rank all 1000 who want to be pilots based on their OM score, then draw a line. Everyone above the line goes to UPT, everyone below the line does not. The same holds true for base assignments, and other career fields.

Yup.

Also remember, this can always be trumped due to "the needs of the Air Force." It's kind of their catch-all incase you get screwed over (slim chance, but it has happened).
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:50:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dolanp:

Anyways in the end I am happy because I am making a helluva lot more outside the military and I have all of my freedom.

Well, you know who to thank for that.... the people who stuck with ROTC through the suck
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:50:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dolanp:

We're glad you're happy! Thanks for letting us know!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:55:27 PM EDT
Don't mean it to be offensive to anyone, just relaying my story. The more money we civilians make the more money the military gets to play around with so everyone contributes. I'd be punching a keyboard in the military same as I am now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:57:59 PM EDT

Then you are a dumbass, junior.

I see a rough road ahead for you in the military.

I kind of have to agree.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:59:38 PM EDT
i completed 4 years of rotc at a big 10 university, Army.

If I can give anyone one sliver of advice if you decide to go to ROTC.

Do not get hurt. And if you get hurt, get it documented right away. Go to the ER immediately, doesn't matter what. Your rights as a cadet in ROTC programs, Contracted or Not Contracted, Scholarship no Scholarship, you are covered by federal workman's comp. USE IT. Go to Physical Therapy. DO NOT start PTing until you know you are 100% ready, then wait another week to make sure.

Trust me. You do not want to be a senior in you Army Class rated in the top third, and blow out your knee, get it labeled chronic, and be medically discharged a month before your commissioning.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:47:29 PM EDT
Regarding the GI Bill, if you attend a state or fairly inexpensive school and the Air Force pays you less than a certain amount in one semster -- somehwere around $2000-- (that's tuition and books only IIRC) you WILL qualify for the GI Bill upon comissioning.

I'm at Florida State and will be eligible to pay into GI bill when I come on AD in May and then collect later on for a Master's degree, etc...

And to the original question: most has been answered but if you want to be an officer in the Air Force and can put up with a little bullshit along the way, ROTC is probably the best commissioning source... Though if you're not interested in a pilot slot , OCS might be a better option. Especially if you want to do Engineering; the local OCS recuiters here were offering full time E-3 pay for 2 years of school with a 4 year commitment (Your last two years of college you sign a contract and get paid E-3 pay -- about $12,000/year I think-- and then owe the Air Force 4 years as an engineer) This is usually only for tech/engineering majors though (of course depending on the needs of the AF ).
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:52:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HACRUEVO:

I'm at Florida State and will be eligible to pay into GI bill when I come on AD in May and then collect later on for a Master's degree, etc...

Don't even need GI bill. AF tuition assistance will pay for you to get your masters while you are on active duty. The catch is that you will owe them4 more years serivce, BUT it runs concurrently with your current service commitment. For example, I have a 10 year service commitment AFTER i finish pilot school. If I get my masters on year 5 of my 10 year commitment, I wont owe any more time, BUT if i get the masters on year 9 of my 10 years, I will owe the AF 3 more years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:06:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HACRUEVO:

Don't even need GI bill. AF tuition assistance will pay for you to get your masters while you are on active duty. The catch is that you will owe them4 more years serivce, BUT it runs concurrently with your current service commitment. For example, I have a 10 year service commitment AFTER i finish pilot school. If I get my masters on year 5 of my 10 year commitment, I wont owe any more time, BUT if i get the masters on year 9 of my 10 years, I will owe the AF 3 more years.

Oh, so you already know you're going to graduate and have some silver wings on your chest?

You won't be able to do 70+ posts a day in UPT. You're gonna go through some serious withdrawal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:07:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JustinOK34:

Oh, so you already know you're going to graduate and have some silver wings on your chest?

You won't be able to do 70+ posts a day in UPT. You're gonna go through some serious withdrawal.

optimism my friend!

withdraw from arfcom?? forget arfcom, i'm hoping i even have enough time to go shooting!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:19:38 PM EDT
Cadet,

Let me give you some free advice in an attempt to salvage the time, effort, and taxpayer money that has thus far been put into your education. And that’s all it’s been so far… an education. When you actually get to what we in the Marine Corps call “the fleet”, and finally gain some experience of your own, first hand, you’re going to find out that where an officer went to college or what his officer accession program was, has absolutely nothing to do with his abilities as an officer and leader. It’s much more complex than that. However, it’s your lucky day Cadet, because I’m going to sum it up for you in two words.

The first one is respect. Respect is what makes someone an outstanding officer. I’m not just talking about respect for your superiors, which is part of your ROTC education (maybe you were sick that day.) I’m talking about respect for your peers; their backgrounds, experiences, strengths, weaknesses, what they offer the military, what they don’t, but most importantly, what you can learn from them and how you can help them contribute to the mission. Respect for your junior enlisted; respect for the fact that they decided at 17 to be placed in harm’s way at 18, respect for the fact that they’ll do anything you ask them to because that’s what their Drill Instructor told them to do, respect for the fact that they’ll spend hours manning an M2 protecting their fellow servicemen or patrol the streets of Ramadi in 130 degree heat, braving sniper fire and IEDs, not because they know or realize the importance of their actions to the strategic plan, but because it’s what the guy next to him expects, and he’ll do anything not to let his best friends down. Respect for your senior enlisted, respect for the fact that he’s spent half his life defending this country, respect for the fact that he has your back and won’t let you fail even though he may not say it, respect for the fact that he bites his tongue when you say or do something stupid, because he doesn’t want to make you look bad in front of the troops, and he knows he can repair the damage and restore your reputation with the troops. Respect for the fact that he is a living repository of corporate knowledge in your trade, and that he has succeeded thus far in the most demanding job in the world. Respect for your weaknesses; what they are, how to improve upon them, and what to do to make up for them. Respect for your equipment, its capabilities and limitations; respect enough to make sure your troops take care of their equipment, and taking care of your own equipment, thereby leading by example. Respect for the unparalleled, awesome power of the U.S. Military, and respect for our forefathers who had the wisdom to put it under civilian control. Respect for the strength and determination of our enemies, so that we may never underestimate him, or treat him harshly once he seeks quarter. Respect for the civilians you’ll encounter, who suffer most from war. Most importantly, respect for yourself. Enough respect for yourself to never compromise your integrity, to continually gain tactical and technical proficiency through study and education, and to stay physically fit so you may always lead from the front

The second word is arrogance. Arrogance is what makes someone an awful officer. Arrogance makes a young officer think he knows everything. Arrogance makes a naïve officer stick with a bad plan. Arrogance makes an undisciplined officer think he doesn’t need to stay in shape or improve his military proficiency. Arrogance makes a pompous officer treat his troops poorly. Arrogance makes an ignorant officer disregard the seasoned, time tested advice of his senior enlisted. Arrogance makes a rude officer disrespect his peers in front of his troops and behind his peers’ backs. Arrogance makes a myopic officer disregard the advice or opinions of others. Arrogance makes the obtuse officer judge another by the color of his skin, his religion, his accent, where he’s from, and maybe even where he went to college. Arrogance makes the rash officer make poor decisions or assumptions before he has most of the available facts straight.

I’m not going to waste my time defending the education and preparation I received at the U.S. Naval Academy. It was one of the many experiences that make me who I am today, and it was one of the better experiences of my life. If you’d like, IM me, and I’ll give you the e-mail addresses of some of the Marines I’ve led in combat; you can ask them anything you’d like about their opinions of what makes a good officer, and then you can decide for yourself. I’m certain their opinions will differ from what you might hear around campus, read in a book, or garner from a few weeks in the fleet each summer.

I’ve never met you; you might be a fine Cadet. Doesn’t mean you’ll make a good officer. Be very careful to make sure that the impression I, and others here on arfcom, have gotten of you is not the impression you leave with your troops, peers, and superiors in the real military. So far it seems you’re all arrogance and no respect. You might want to consider changing that in the next 3 months. But what do I know; I went to a service academy. Good luck.

JDC
Major (Sel), USMCR
USNA ‘96
USMC 96-2002
USMCR 2002 – Present
OIF III, Hit and Fallujah, Iraq, Feb-Sep 2005

I'm in AFROTC

IM me if you have more specific questions, and I'll be glad to answer them.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:24:38 PM EDT
Major, good effort, but I feel this puke is beyond fixing.

SWO_Daddy
USNA 88
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top