Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2012 3:38:56 PM EDT
Thinking of taking a mini vaca there with the girlfriend. Cant afford a nice vaca this year. Where should we stay? We would be driving down from Boston. Looking to go for four-five days.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
meh, tourist town

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
We rented a nice place on a cannal in N. Myrtle Beach. was 2 blocks off the beach and was not as tourist heavy as Myrtle Beach.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't see driving past Ocean City MD to get to Myrtle Beach.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I would keep on driving until I got to the Charleston area.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thinking of taking a mini vaca there with the girlfriend. Cant afford a nice vaca this year. Where should we stay? We would be driving down from Boston. Looking to go for four-five days.

Meh, tourists, lots of teenagers, drunks, traffic, crowded beaches, etc.  I'd go to the outer banks and find a nice quiet beach and have it virtually all to yourself.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It isn't what it once was. Lots of touristy things to do. If you have never been it's probably not all that bad. But I'm only 3hours away so I have been there to many times to count.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.

If you must see South Carolina.

Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, NC is much nicer than Myrtle Beach......Where i am.

Charleston is beautiful.....and fun!
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A few questions:

- Where are you located?
- What's your budget?
- What's your limit in terms of driving to a destination?

Myrtle Beach is ok, better in off season, but depending on your answers, I might be able to suggest something to better fit your needs!
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I like it
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few questions:

- Where are you located?
- What's your budget?

Myrtle Beach is ok, better in off season, but depending on your answers, I might be able to suggest something to better fit your needs!

- Boston
- I'd like to keep it under $1000 for the both of us. We normally do something like Bermuda, Carribean, etc but cannot afford that this year. Like to stay in the states as well.
- I've driven from Boston to FL before and refuse to ever do that drive again. I am thinking SC is the farthest I will go. Should be about a 15 hr drive.

Basically just looking for a few days getaway to enjoy some nice weather. December can be crappy here in MA so I want to go somewhere nice during that time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Go see the Mermen play ball. They got a pretty good pitcher, good enough for the big leagues, if he could only get his shit together. The White Flame, or something.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]
The "Redneck Riviera".  I like it.

If you scuba go out the the "Governor"  Went down in the 1800's with a load of 1853 Enfield Rifled Muskets.  I got a few brass rifle parts when I went down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Meh, tourists, lots of teenagers, drunks, traffic, crowded beaches, etc.  I'd go to the outer banks and find a nice quiet beach and have it virtually all to yourself.

QFT
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, NC is much nicer than Myrtle Beach......Where i am.

Is Johnny Mercer Pier still there?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few questions:

- Where are you located?
- What's your budget?

Maybe that is his needs. A lot of things arent open in the offseason. There is a lot to do there. There are 2 nice state parks, Adelaigh, which I misspelled, but it's a beautiful garden/park that was owned by sculptures. It's breathtaking.

Sure there are a lot of touristy things but people seem to like them.

I personally don't care for those kinds of places but my friend is a naturalist at huntington beach state park and we visit sometimes. We always find something fun to do.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#16]
i was there last year for a few days and it was ok.
one thing i found kind of amusing was almost everyone that worked in the area seemed to be Russian.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh hell no. Don't invite no more Yankees to the OBX. We are full up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If you want water that reaches a comfortable temperature, you need to go south of O.C. South of V.B for that matter.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Long, long way from Boston for that slide. Are you looking for a party beach or a quiet time camping? If you're looking to booze it up try Dewey Beach in Delaware, Ocean City MD or VA Beach. If you're looking for quiet, I'd go to Chincoteague or Assateague in VA. Outer Banks of NC is a good compromise, bars and such but you can still find quiet places.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I was there overnight many years ago. Fuck...how many damn miniature golf courses do ya need?

For someone who despises tourist traps, I was in hell.

Two places I will NEVER go on vacation: Myrtle Beach and Gatlinburg.  

Unfortunately, Mrs VACaver wants to go to both.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want water that reaches a comfortable temperature, you need to go south of O.C. South of V.B for that matter.

If you tie a rope around your nuts you can fish 'em back out when you leave the water.  It aint but a thang.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lots of drunk Marines and stellar paratroopers from Bragg, avoid fore mentioned drunk marines oh and cheap beer at mother Fletcher's if it stir exists
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Nothing but HEAT, minature golf and those cheesy Tee shirt / Beach towel stores. Oh, did i mention the most of the time unbareable Heat.  I went there last August, i thought i made a wrong turn  and ended up on the Sun.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We rented a nice place on a cannal in N. Myrtle Beach. was 2 blocks off the beach and was not as tourist heavy as Myrtle Beach.

This is correct, the north end will also be cheaper, less tourist, frat boy bs, and less to do, which translates into..... As this is gd.... More bang for your buck ;-)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#25]
As a native SC resident, I recommend going to Charleston over MB, especially if no small kids are involved. I will on rare occasion venture to Myrtle Beach, off season only. During the summer it is too hot, too crowded, and just not much fun IMO. It is a good spot for families with children though, since there are a bunch of things to do if you are between 6 and 16.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Fun place to visit if your single and during spring break.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:30:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Go see the Mermen play ball. They got a pretty good pitcher, good enough for the big leagues, if he could only get his shit together. The White Flame, or something.

What about that Russian pitcher, is he still around?  And I think we just missed the Fourth of July party too.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:58:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
meh, tourist town  

yeah... 'necks and trash everywhere
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Opt for North Myrtle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

meh, tourist town  

Yep; go elsewhere.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This. Myrtle Beach is a tourist trap. Unless you dig outlet malls, go to Charleston.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:22:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Yes.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Tourist trap, but I've had plenty of fun there.  You might also try Garden City, which is a little further south and pretty kitchy, or maybe Murrell's Inlet, which is further south still and is very calm and peaceful and with plenty of good restaurants.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:28:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:30:10 AM EDT
[#36]
been years since I've been down there, but Surfside and Garden City used to be a bit less crowded than Myrtle
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yes.

Sweet, as a teenager in the 60's they had a Juke Box under the pier. Spent many a night dancing there in the sand.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:46:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

i sure as hell do. MD is a anti-2A shithole and i'll be damned if i will spend anymore of my hard-earned dollars there than i have to. Plus the town is not nearly as nice as it once was. T

SC also doesn't recognize my PA LTCF but they are not nearly as anti gun. I'd rather spend my money in DEL, VA or NC
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Everyone I know goes to Ocean lakes to vacation.  Like a little gated city where everyone drives golf carts. It's right on the beach, in the front part is the camping/ RV area, and the houses are behind that.  Little ponds everywhere to fish in, and it's only a couple of miles south of Myrtle, and a few north of Murrells Inlet, which is really beautiful.

Go after Labor day, the crowds are mostly gone, and the heat isn't as bad.  

There is a state or national park near there, and also the Socastee zoo is nearby as well, where my stepson got shit on by a bird, and we also recorded a masturbating monkey.  I have never seen as many writing spiders as I did there, they are everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#40]
It's a great place to go if you really like playing golf.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:52:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Stay the fuck out!  More room for me

Been doing the Redneck Riviera for 15+ years, every year. I'll be there the week of the 16th for Mustang week.

Honestly, best beaches you will ever find.  

Tip #1 -  If you are looking to just hang out on the beach, go to North Myrtle beach.  Less crowded. Or Cherry Grove, but those are mostly homes for rent.

Tip #2 - Plan a week.  Look up Elliott Realty on the web. Do a last minute condo rental at something like 60% off. They want paying people in there. Cheaper than 4 or 5 days at a hotel.  If you are a true beach bum, get ocean front. Look for smaller condos. Not the huge, mammoth 40 story units. Big condo = very crowded beach.
 Staying at a condo offers the advantage of a kitchen to save on restaurant bills. Plenty of Wal-Marts and grocery stores to stock up on alcohol and other stuff.

Tip #3 - Avoid restaurant row. Places like Captain Benjamin's looks enticing, but the food is so-so.  

Tip #4 - Sun Screen. use it!

Tip #5 - SC law allows you to keep a firearm in your room. As long as you are paying an accommodation tax, they cannot tell you no firearms.

Tip #6 - Canned beer is OK with the law, as long as you are not a drunk asshole. Keep it in a coozie. Take your trash with you.

Tip #7 - When coming into town, get off 501 at I-22, or hwy 22. Avoid driving through Conway like the plague.  If you can hit the MB area early, you will beat the incoming traffic since most check in times are 3 pm and later. Aynor is a major traffic bitch too. There is a left turn you can take just as you are coming into town to bypass and take you directly to 22. It's Hwy 319
   Check out and leave either extremely early, or leave late. Again, peak traffic is around noon.  Take the 22 and back to 319 to 501.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:21:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:22:58 AM EDT
[#43]
OBX to the north, or Jekyll Island to the south are both better.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Myrtle Beach is to crowded for me.  I prefer the Outer Banks area.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Stay the fuck out!  More room for me

Been doing the Redneck Riviera for 15+ years, every year. I'll be there the week of the 16th for Mustang week.

Honestly, best beaches you will ever find.  

Tip #1 -  If you are looking to just hang out on the beach, go to North Myrtle beach.  Less crowded. Or Cherry Grove, but those are mostly homes for rent.

Tip #2 - Plan a week.  Look up Elliott Realty on the web. Do a last minute condo rental at something like 60% off. They want paying people in there. Cheaper than 4 or 5 days at a hotel.  If you are a true beach bum, get ocean front. Look for smaller condos. Not the huge, mammoth 40 story units. Big condo = very crowded beach.
 Staying at a condo offers the advantage of a kitchen to save on restaurant bills. Plenty of Wal-Marts and grocery stores to stock up on alcohol and other stuff.

Tip #3 - Avoid restaurant row. Places like Captain Benjamin's looks enticing, but the food is so-so.  

Tip #4 - Sun Screen. use it!

Tip #5 - SC law allows you to keep a firearm in your room. As long as you are paying an accommodation tax, they cannot tell you no firearms.

Tip #6 - Canned beer is OK with the law, as long as you are not a drunk asshole. Keep it in a coozie. Take your trash with you.

Tip #7 - When coming into town, get off 501 at I-22, or hwy 22. Avoid driving through Conway like the plague.  If you can hit the MB area early, you will beat the incoming traffic since most check in times are 3 pm and later. Aynor is a major traffic bitch too. There is a left turn you can take just as you are coming into town to bypass and take you directly to 22. It's Hwy 319
   Check out and leave either extremely early, or leave late. Again, peak traffic is around noon.  Take the 22 and back to 319 to 501.

Agree with all of this. I just got back from a week there and I had a blast. True it's full of tourist stuff (minigolf, tshirt stores), but we stayed in a condo directly on the beach. We stocked up on food from Sam's and WalMart and just stayed on the beach all week. It was great and not crowded at all. Now farther up the beach where the huge aparment buildings were it was quite crowded.

Eat at the Noizy Oyster. It was delicious.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:50:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i sure as hell do. MD is a anti-2A shithole and i'll be damned if i will spend anymore of my hard-earned dollars there than i have to. Plus the town is not nearly as nice as it once was. T

SC also doesn't recognize my PA LTCF but they are not nearly as anti gun. I'd rather spend my money in DEL, VA or NC

Myrtle Beach is the Jersey Shore with a drawl.

Truck a little south and go to Chincoteague if you don't like MD.  Sure there's not as much touristy bullshit and the beach is set back from conveniences, but that's not a downside to me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#47]
do not go.  very dangerous place.  I am in a position to know.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
It's a good place to play "Spot the French Canadians" on the beach.  

Especially during "Can-Am Days" which is usually one week in March.
http://www.grandstrandevents.com/CanAmDays/
BTDT

Oh, and if you happen to be around for the South Carolina Crawfish Festival, don't miss it.

Check out Waccamaw Pottery and Brookgreen Gardens if you are into kitch.

Francis Marion State Park for short hikes through the swamp.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

we did the same thing but were on the beach. nice enough, not too touristy in n myrtle.

J-

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Save yourself a couple hundred miles and the high-percentage goober crowd you'll find at Myrtle and go to Nags Head instead.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top