Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/27/2004 5:47:14 AM EDT
I've been giving a lot of thought lately to buying a new (or recently used) car.

I think I'd like something either a little sporty (Eclipse, Integra, RSX-S type, Celica, Supra, Mazda 3) etc.) or a more powerful 4 door sedan with a little more luxury (Mazda 6, Lancer, Acura RL or TL, used Lexus).

I really like 5 or 6 speeds, and I'd like to have some good gas mileage.

My biggest criteria, though, is RELIABILITY and the car staying as new as possible (no rattles, squeaks, problems) for as long as possible.

I recently saw that Mitsubishi is offering 3 year free scheduled maintenance, 3 year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and 10/100,000 power train.

But I have NO experience with Mitsubishi cars regarding quality, reliability, etc.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that is quite a range of cars you have listed there!

Based on what you are looking for, I'd suggest something like an Acura TSX, RSX, Mazda 6, and I adore the Mazda 3.  For reliability's sake, I'd go with a honda car (tsx, rsx, accord) or a Toyota (camry, solara).  The lansers are awesome cars if speed is your thing, otherwise you'd probably be best to pass.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Mitsubishi ... from those wondeful people that attacked Pearl harbor ..

(Mitsubishi made the Japanese Zero fighter plane, and many others)
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mitsubishi ... from those wondeful people attacked Pearl harbor ..

Such a tired argument.....

It really was only for comic effect ... I guess no one is laughing ...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"BMW:  From the same folks who brought you Omaha Beach"

yup, I dont like them either .. BUT!    they went and bought Chrysler, and I drive Jeeps! so I cannot get away from them!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Mitsubishi also made the Japanese versions of the F-15, F-16 and the P-3....

Quoted:
Mitsubishi ... from those wondeful people that attacked Pearl harbor ..

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:59:29 AM EDT
[#8]
they should of stuck with the GSX eclipse and not stuck a shitty v-6 in it.  it needs more power and the old gsx's looked better
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're considering the RSX, Eclipse, or Celica, check out the Hyundai Tiburon.   I bought an 03 with the V6, and it's been a great car!  It's several thousand less than the aforementioned cars, and comes with a lot of great standard features.   Mine is a 6 speed manual, and came with:  Leather, Leather wrapped steering wheel, power windows and locks, keyless entry, 7 speaker Infinity sound system, 17" aluminum wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes, and more...

For all the bashers, Hyundai has been praised as making the greatest improvements in the auto industry in the last few years.  I think it was last years 90 day quality survey that JD Power put out ranked Hyundai even or ABOVE Honda AND Toyota.   Hyundai has gotten their shit together and is putting out much higher quality products nowadays.  

I've had mine for about 15 months, and have 15k miles on it, with NO problems.  The aftermarket is really warming up to the Tiburon very well.   Here's my ride:  www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3317.   Compared to the cars I listed above, I think the Tiburon just looks the best.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#11]
If I remember correctly, the Mistubishi cars (Mirage, Gallant, etc) used to rank at the bottom of the crash test rankings in just about every category in which they had a car.

Mechanical reliability was decent, but they tended to collapse on the occupants when they hit/were hit.

I'd check that. It isn't everything, but it does matter.

Mini Coopers do amazingly well in the crash tests, perform really well in the supercharged version (which is a 6 speed), get great mileage, and come with racing stripes if desired. Built in Britain, corporate parent is BWM.

The current sportly little Subaru is no slouch either, but haven't driven one, just passed them... hehehe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a new "sleeper" for you.  Check out the NEW Volvo S40 w/all wheel drive.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've got a new "sleeper" for you.  Check out the NEW Volvo S40 w/all wheel drive.

An awesome car!  I recently was in the market to buy a new car, and this is the car I wanted.  Unfortunately it was not released in time, so I had to buy something else.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#14]
It's also worth keeping in mind that Mutsubishi is on the verge of bankruptcy - and woudl have gone under a few months ago, if some Japanese banks had not bailed them out.  DaimlerChrysler HAD been involved in trying to finance them - but recently announced that they are no longer going to make any efforts to keep Mitsubishi afloat.

My GUESS is that they will go out of business within the next few years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#15]
It's foreign.
Any outher questions?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#16]
ETA - if you want RELIABILITY, buy anything from Honda or Toyota (or their luxury divisions, Acura and Lexus)

The integra is an incredibly reliable car
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#17]
From what I have read on other enthusiest sites they have sub par Warranty service and they just recently got busted for hiding 30 years worth of defects that would have opened up a flood gate of recalls. I would be highly suspect.

Look at Mazda6, it fit me like a glove and had the sweetest shifting 5sp I have felt in along time, loaded it maxes out around $26k, with EVERYTHING. BTW, it looks fucking hot in the Blazing copper color! If you really wanna wake it up Kenne Bell makes a SC for it and there is a large aftermarket following. Did I meantion it is one of the best hadling FWD cars out there?

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's foreign.
Any outher questions?

I've got a question.  What's your point?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#20]

If you're considering the RSX, Eclipse, or Celica, check out the Hyundai Tiburon

No, no, no, do no such thing.  If you're considering the RSX, Eclipse, or Celica, the Tiburon should be nowhere near your list.  And of that list, the only 2 worth considering is the RSX and Celica.  Between the 2 of those it's mostly a matter of personal preference as to which one you get.  Personally I prefer the RSX, but it's be up to you.  They out-do the Tiburon in every way, performance, handling, braking, quality, styling.  From what i've read, the RSX is supposed to be the top of the heap when it comes to the sport coupes priced around 20k.  Top notch quality Honda engineering through and through.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's foreign.
Any outher questions?

Yes, when is your Klan meeting?

Wow I just got attacked by A mod.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It opens the floodgates for the guys CavVet who DON'T joke about it.......shortly we'll have some Rising Sun pictures and some Pearl Harbor diver bomber photos.......and we'll have some broken ass Japanese quotes.....should be a photo of Hirohito and maybe some Kamikaze's thrown in......

Funny how pictures burn into peoples mind and memory. Nice to know I dont have to ever do it again, as I see the last time the pictures stuck.

Mission Accomplished!

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Attacked?  Hardly.  That was a love tap.

Really?
I don't fucking appreciate beeing called A klansmen even in jest.

Buying foreign cars puts American business out of biz.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, there are SO many cars out there, and so many factors to consider.  ARGH!

I've been relatively happy with my 96 Honda Civic with regards to gas mileage and reliability, but it is SO boring, has no power, no luxury features, etc.

But I don't want to break the damn bank.  However, if I spend more to get a more reliable car, than that pays for itself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Well instead of trolling you should have named a few American cars that are similar to what GW2112 is  looking for.  Are there any?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Well instead of trolling you should have named a few American cars that are similar to what GW2112 is  looking for.  Are there any?

Funny thing is...You could have done the same thing.

Go buy A Mustang. (Happy now?)
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

First of all, there are so many alliances and joint ventures among car manufacturers these days that it is hard to figure out who is an "American" business and who is "Foreign"

Is Chrysler "american"? - after the merger/takeover with Daimler (Mercedes), it's not clear that Chrysler is still an american business.

Are Jaguar and Volvo "foreign" businesses.  They are owned by Ford.

You see the problem?  It's almost impossible to clearly point to "foregini" car makers.

Another problem is that a lot of american cars are still shit (with crappy quality and reliability) and THAT is why people buy cars like Honda and Toyota.  It's called the free market (you know, capitalism) and if Honda and Toyota can play the game better, then they DESERVE your business, because America is all about free enterprise and capitalism.

Finally, there's the issue of putting american workers out of business.  There are plenty of assembly plants from Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, etc in the United States.  If you stop buying those cars, you will put AMERICAN workers out of work.  These foreign companies BUILT assembly plants in the U.S. creating jobs for American workers.  During that same time, American companies have been moving their assembly plants and parts manufacturing to Mexico, putting American workers out of jobs.

Who should you be rewarding with your business?   I'm not sure the answer is so clear-cut that "it's foreign" can sufficiently address it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If you're considering the RSX, Eclipse, or Celica, check out the Hyundai Tiburon

No, no, no, do no such thing.  If you're considering the RSX, Eclipse, or Celica, the Tiburon should be nowhere near your list.  And of that list, the only 2 worth considering is the RSX and Celica.  Between the 2 of those it's mostly a matter of personal preference as to which one you get.  Personally I prefer the RSX, but it's be up to you.  They out-do the Tiburon in every way, performance, handling, braking, quality, styling.  From what i've read, the RSX is supposed to be the top of the heap when it comes to the sport coupes priced around 20k.  Top notch quality Honda engineering through and through.  

Well, the Tiburon IS in the same class.  Stock for stock, it's got better low end torque than both the RSX and the Celica.  Does lose out on the top end.  But for daily driving, that's more useable power.  It also responds to a greater degree to simple mods, such as a cold air intake (12-15hp) which will give you even more useable power

Styling is a matter of taste, and it's been confirmed that Pinanfarina was somewhat involved in the design of the Tiburon.  (the RSX just looks too much like an Accord, which looks too much like a Camry, which looks too much like a... etc etc etc... very bland IMO.  The Celica is just... weird...)

Porsche designed the suspension, so handling is not a problem.   The Tiburon outperformed a freaking C5 'Vette in a test on a short track (1.1 mile), and it was only because it handled better.  

Me thinks you saw the 'Hyundai' brand and automatically assumed it was inferior.  Well, things change.  ;)

And the top of the line Tiburon is probably $6k less than the top of the line RSX.  The RSX is not THAT much better.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Well, MOST "foreign" cars are built in the states now, even then MOST of the foreign car companies are OWNED whole or in part by American car companies. So buying even a foreign car indirectly supports American workers.

If you really want to wave the American flag dont buy anything made in China, if you can.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It was meant as a broad generalization to counter your broad ranging generalization.  In a witty attempt to show the ignorance of both sides.

If you were offended; I am sorry.

One piece of advice:

You should grow some thicker skin if you wish to engage in such generalized bashing of others.  We are a "community" comprised of many people and some of those people are NOT Americans -- they are "foreigners".  Did you think how YOUR comments might have offended them??

I said it was A foreign car.
Ok perhaps that was A "broad" statement but I think it's painfully obvious as to what I was refering to.
My "generalizing" was that you should not buy foreign cars.
You likened me to the KKK.
You "generalized" that I was A scum sucking racist pig.
And who the hell did I "bash"?
BTW...Keep your advice.

Greywolf2112...
I am sorry if I get your thread locked.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to have a 2000 Eclipse GT. I never had any problems with it. It drove great. It ran great. It does 0-60 in under 7 seconds stock. There's a ton of aftermarket parts for it.

The only problem is that it kinda handles like an american car. The tires grip ok, but you can really feel them slip if you try and take a hard turn too fast.

Only the transmission and a few other minor components comes from Japan. Most of the rest of the parts are from the US (and some from Mexico). I think they're assembled here.

If you like the Lancers, they're coming out with a Lancer RS, which is a stripped down version of the EVO (same engine, horsepower, etc., but no spoiler, moonroof, etc).
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#38]
FORGIVE AND FORGET!??? I THINK NOT!!!!

Would you by an Iraqi, Iranian, Libiyan Automobile?

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Went through the same decision process back in April.  I wound up with a Mazda6s.  Seemed to me to be the most car for the money.  Car now has 7000 miles on it with no problems so far, and handles great.  Mazda is owned (at least in part) by Ford, and my car was made in Michigan.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Christ, Metaphaze, I ask a simple F-ing question and I get this crap again?  Good thing I didn't ask about buying a german gun - I'd be looking at pictures of concentration camps.

It is difficult choosing between an RSX S-Type for $26,000 and a Tiburon for $20,000 similary equipped -
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

It is difficult choosing between an RSX S-Type for $26,000 and a Tiburon for $20,000 similary equipped -

If you are considering the Tiburon, check out www.newtiburon.com.  Feel free to PM me any questions.  Either way you choose between the two above, I'm sure you'll be happy with what you get.   ;)
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Would you by an Iraq ... Automobile?

( ... various provocative 9-11 pictures )

No offense, but I think that's pretty stupid.

First of all, the Bush adminsitration has repeatedly ADMITTED that they have found no link whatsoever between Iraq and the 9-11 attacks.

Second of all, the "Grand Experiment" we are currently paying for with american lives, is to TRY to establish a stable democratic and free country in Iraq.  If Iraq built a competetivie automobile and exported it, by refusing to buy it (purely because it was iraqi) you could be helping contribute to the failure of that experiment.  

Plus, you better believe that there will be plenty of Iraqi OIL exported to the U.S.!   Make sure you ask your local gas station if there's any Iraqi oil in their gasoline, and refuse to fill up if there is!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Christ, Metaphaze, I ask a simple F-ing question and I get this crap again?  Good thing I didn't ask about buying a german gun - I'd be looking at pictures of concentration camps.

My dad has a Tiberon, and while he's very happy with it, it's not in the same category as an Acura (which one of my friends has).  The Tiberon seems underpowered (at least his does) and it definitely has a cheaper and flimsier feel to it.

But - I think it's definitely a great deal at the praice.  I guess you'll jsut have to test drive both, and while you'll deinfitely like the Acura better, only you will be able to decide whether you like it $6000 better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all, the Bush adminsitration has repeatedly ADMITTED that they have found no link whatsoever between Iraq and the 9-11 attacks.

Second of all, the "Grand Experiment" we are currently paying for with american lives, is to TRY to establish a stable democratic and free country in Iraq.  If Iraq built a competetivie automobile and exported it, by refusing to buy it (purely because it was iraqi) you could be helping contribute to the failure of that experiment.  

Plus, you better believe that there will be plenty of Iraqi OIL exported to the U.S.!   Make sure you ask your local gas station if there's any Iraqi oil in their gasoline, and refuse to fill up if there is!!

I believe Iraqi nationals played part in 9/11. I also believe they have played a part in previous attacks. I DO NOT support the rebuilding of Iraq, so i have no qualms if this little "Experiment" fails or not. These are my beliefs, may not be yours, but sure as hell are mine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You asked your question, and got MY answer. Buy an American car. Even though American made cars have some "influence" from other countires, atleast our hardworking American neighbors are getting paid to build them. Whereas the Jap car debacle is pure crap. Build the car 65%, send it to Mexico or Canada. Have them assemble it and get into the NAFTA.

And why don't you like seeing the pictures? Do you want to forget what the Japs, and the Terrorist have done to us? I think we should see these pics everyday, to remind us what is going on.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe Iraqi nationals played part in 9/11. I also believe they have played a part in previous attacks. I DO NOT support the rebuilding of Iraq, so i have no qualms if this little "Experiment" fails or not. These are my beliefs, may not be yours, but sure as hell are mine.

You appear to be suffering from a severe case of confirmational bias.  Hope you have enough tinfoil stocked up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I vote for the celica. Ive had mine for 3 years now and have had 0 problems with it other than a bad belt.
6 speed and fun to drive, very surviveable in accidents.  (alotof the guys on newcelica.org have wrecked them and walked away)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top