Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 7:46:42 AM EDT
What kinds of tests do they do there and how ghey is it?  I know you have to stand in line in your underwear and do the whole turn your head and cough thing... I leave in 3 hours for MEPS and I just wanted to make sure there is nothing I am forgetting and that I know what to expect.  I know it's very boring but that's pretty much all I've heard...what should I bring the recruiter totally didn't fill me in on that  I figure, a change of clothes, ID, the packet from him, some money and thats about it...anyone?

ETA:  What is the minimum physical shape you should be in to attempt infantry OSUT/airborne? (score in different APFT events)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=386880&page=2

Scroll to the bottom of page, details the whole MEPS process.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Its a full physical, basically the whole grope your balls, look at your ears, check your eyes sort of thing.

You'll do a urine test and a blood test, so be ready for that.

Also dexterity testing, which you'll think is absolutely rediculous.

You're going to be going through with a bunch of kids, so basically 90% of your time will be spent sitting around not doing anything.

When I went through it took about 6 or 7 hours, YMMV.

Edited to add: Don't fall asleep.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]

I remember playing pool. Not much else to remember.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info guys, I've gtg, heading to the recruiter's office...I'll be back sometime Friday night, hopefully 11X
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Turn your head and *cough*...  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#6]
go ahead and tape your ballsack to your bellybutton,

trust me, it will be easier if you do it, and not the 70 year old "doctor"
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't get too drunk  the night before, I was so plastered my blood alcohol level said I should have been comatose.  They took me anyway ... LOL
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you forget to turn your head, remember, the doc has a hold of your nuts and might not take to kindly to you caughing in his face.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#9]
don't forget the hearing test!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Ahhhh MEPS.

I remember a Navy corpsman yelling  at everyone they were getting the "red carpet' treatment.  Figure that they are never going to be nicer to you than when they are trying to get you to join

When I arrived, I was the only officer candidate so I had a different colored folder and was first in line for everything.  I did notice that after the doc grabbed my nuts to "make sure I had two",  he went done the line of 20 or so guys WITH THE SAME GLOVE!  This was 1987.

Moral of the story: Be as close to first as you can get.

Also, don't volunteer a lot of info.  Just because you took a Bendadryl once doesn't mean you have allergies so don't mark it.  Rare headache? Leave it out.  Don't be zealous in answering everything "yes".  Look for ways to honestly say "No, I don't have this or that problem."  Trust me on this.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#11]
^...the answer is always 'no, there's nothing wrong with me' !!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you forget to turn your head, remember, the doc has a hold of your nuts and might not take to kindly to you caughing in his face.

Actually, the doc was sitting down when he grabed me.  Nothing funner than having a 70 year old guy grab your balls and squeeze them , well, maybe having a 65 year old doc watch you try to pee for 3 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Wear underwear. You don't want to be that guy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Picture a whole group a guys standing in a row in there underwear.

Finally the doctor comes in,  a really short old Filipino looking woman.

She proceeds to go down the line with the "turn your head and cough" routine.  About halfway through a guy looks down at her and says in a loud voice

"So,. . .  how much do I owe ya"

Everybody laughs.

. . . until some Captain comes in and chews everybodys ass for about 15mins.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#15]
BRING A PAPERBACK BOOK!  

Oh, and don't stow it in the locker in the beginning.  Stick it in your pocket (try hard) and bring it with you.  You'll need it during the hurry up & wait portions of the tests..........when you're not supposed to be talking to other people.  Also, you probably already know a lot more about the military, and military life, than they do.  -1 if you run into prior service for some reason.

Duck walking - do it and get er done so you can swap stories about it.

You'll pass.  Ask if you can also take the DLAB while you're there.  It's very painful, but you can get into other interesting MOSs with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top