Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 10:10:13 PM EDT
I really need to get out of SA this weekend, and was wanting to go to the beach or something, so I'm thinking maybe Corpus, seeing as it's only a couple of hours away.

Any of you guys been there recently or live there?  I haven't been there in 5 years... what is there to do this time of year?  What are the good restaurants, bars, hotels, etc?  Plus if I just wing it and go will I find a hotel OK?

I appreciate any input.  I think I'm leaving either tomorrow or Saturday and staying one night.

- Jenny
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in Corpus.

If you want to go to the beach you probably want to go to Padre Island, but we do have some small beaches McGee Beach downtown and the bigger North Beach on the otherside of the Harbor bridge.

If you like to fish you could always do that.

You could see the Lexington or the Aquarium if you are into that.

I'm not much into bars or clubs, other than Bottoms Up one of the local topless bars lol.

Restaurants, you could go to Whataburger on the bay. lol.

I'm sure Mexican food isnt that special to you since there should be plenty up in San Antonio, but Kiko's is supposidly the best local Mexican restaurant.

Also most other major restaurants can be found on restaurant row, right off the freeway, S.P.I.D., along with most of the stores.

I dont think finding a hotel would be that hard this time of year.

[edit]bring your guns let go shooting saturday, rofl[/edit]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Has to be better than Laredo.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring a baseball bat for the water bugs (roaches).  They get pretty big over there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I live in Corpus.

If you want to go to the beach you probably want to go to Padre Island, but we do have some small beaches McGee Beach downtown and the bigger North Beach on the otherside of the Harbor bridge.

If you like to fish you could always do that.

You could see the Lexington or the Aquarium if you are into that.

I'm not much into bars or clubs, other than Bottoms Up one of the local topless bars lol.

Restaurants, you could go to Whataburger on the bay. lol.

I'm sure Mexican food isnt that special to you since there should be plenty up in San Antonio, but Kiko's is supposidly the best local Mexican restaurant.

Also most other major restaurants can be found on restaurant row, right off the freeway, S.P.I.D., along with most of the stores.

I dont think finding a hotel would be that hard this time of year.

Fishing sounds like fun.

I was wanting to go to the aquarium, that's why I'm originally going.  Haha, yeah just THAT bored here.  But I think my fiance would enjoy seeing the Lexington.  Is it still done up in blue lights so it looks eerie or just plain white lights?  And do they do tours or do you just kinda walk around on your own?

Thanks for the ideas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bring a baseball bat for the water bugs (roaches).  They get pretty big over there.

Eeeeewwwwww........

Man, if there's one thing I hate more than liberals, it's roaches, probably because they're so close on the evolutionary ladder.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
But I think my fiance would enjoy seeing the Lexington.  Is it still done up in blue lights so it looks eerie or just plain white lights?

Actually I dont remember, if I were to just guess I think they are probably still the blue lights.

And do they do tours or do you just kinda walk around on your own?

Its been a while since I've been there, but if nothing changed then its mostly you can just go around and see what you want, but they also have people who form groups and then give guided tours if you prefer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Drive down a little ways to Port Aransas and charter a fishing boat, if you like fishing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Holy crap...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I grew up there. Went to King high school.  My mom still lives there.  I go down to fish a couple days a month.

For food, try Kiko's,  Nolans, or any of the big chains along South Padre island drive.   There is an Academy there too.  Roy's bait stand (Actually a 2 story fishing gear store) is about three miles further down past Rodd Field Rd.

For fishing and the beach, head out to Port Aransas for the party boats or the jetties. Reds are pretty good off the jetties right now.   There are a couple of decent seafood places in Port A.   Hotels won't really be a problem, the ones on the beach are more expensive. (110$ a night  just a couple of days ago.)  Try the Alistair inn or the Day's inn.  The beach is drive on access,  10$ gets you onto the National Seashore portion. If you have a 4x4 you can get a LONG way from civilization.

Be prepared for nasty traffic along Padre Island drive.  It's nothing but malls and shopping fanatics.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Next to the Kiko's on Everhart is a little crappy Mexican place called Ayala's.  There you will find all that is good in life (just be aware that springs poke out of the seat cushions.

Downtown: Stay at Omni Bayfront, eat at Waterstreet Oysterbar
The Island: Stay at Port Royal, eat at Trout Street.

I miss living in Corpus.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Tour the Lex, check out the aquarium, hit the dog track.  Also, go to the 2-story Whataburger for breakfast.  Breakfast burritos while you are looking out over the gulf is a mighty fine way to begin the day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
the lex is in bluish purple lights at night i live in portland across the causeway so i see them all the time. if you like fishing port A is a good place to start and go eat at the restaurant in port royal its a little spendy but they have excellent cuisine. They also have a gambling boat that floats out of port A if you like that sort of stuff.

ETA: IBTR

IN Before TX Redneck
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#13]
You got to go to the Aquarium for sure, there are even a few hotels near it and the Lexington. There are rooms right on the beach so you can see the Lexington right out your room door. I cant say much for the beach right there, but Nort Padre isnt far, you can drive down the beach for 2 hours if you want, all the way to South Padre, if you have a 4X4. Find a secluded place for you and your woman to chill and relax or fish. The peer at North Padre is cool to fish off of as well. The Quality Inn has hot tub rooms preaty cheap!

Im getting out of my town tonight too, gonna take my beautiful wife out for a romantic evening in Austin.

Have Fun!! Corpus is great!!!

Edited to say, there is a reastraunt near the Lexington, they have 1LB burgers. Really great atmosphere, and the staff were really nice. I dont remember the name, but im sure you can find it if you ask around down there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#14]

"...there is a reastraunt near the Lexington, they have 1LB burgers. Really great atmosphere, and the staff were really nice. I dont remember the name, but im sure you can find it if you ask around down there."

Isn't it Pier 99?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Just go.  Take a little adventure into the unknown.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
"...there is a reastraunt near the Lexington, they have 1LB burgers. Really great atmosphere, and the staff were really nice. I dont remember the name, but im sure you can find it if you ask around down there."

Isn't it Pier 99?

Thats it!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Has to be better than Laredo.

+1 lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top