Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2011 2:24:10 PM EDT
I owned a mossberg 930SPX for a while. I liked the gun but the LOP was too long for me. I am 5'6" and the most I run my ar15 stocks are one click out from completely collapsed. I haven't bought a new gun in a while and for some reason I want a shotgun. I understand that for semi auto guns benellis are great. What version should I get?

Requirements

-Live in NY state with an AWB, stock cannot collapse or have a pistol grip in order to have a magazine over 5 rounds.

-Runs on bird slugs and buck

-Short LOP. Recoil spring must be short. I have no problem chopping the stock but recoil spring cannot limit me to a 12.5 inch LOP like my 930SPX.

ETA: I'm looking for a home defense gun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
They're Italian.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They're Italian.

They're Expensive.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you need a youth model gun.

My Benelli Montefeltro (hunting gun) has been 100% reliably on all varieties of shells in all kinds of weather. They're good guns overall, but not as great as TV wants you to think. If I had the money to spend again I might look around more.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a SBE II Left handed and with it the phrase "if it flies, it dies" is sure enough! I have used it in flooded timber on ducks, in the fields on geese, and in the woods on turkey. great gun worth every penny.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking for a tactical/home defense gun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]
look into anm2 super 90.    very reliable
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my Nova.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#8]
there bad ass. well worth the money. they are the only semi auto I will own.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I currently have 2 Benellis. I have an old Super Black eagle. It has fired tens of thousands of rounds. I have killed so many birds with it that I cannot remember all the hunts.

I have a SBE II, Its one year old and I love it. Felt recoil is much less than the old gun due to the comfort tech stock.

I have owned a couple of M2s. I loved them

I cannot say enough good things about them. Yes the are expensive, but, you get what you pay for. If want no malfunctions ever get a Benelli.

They willl not cycle 1 oz loads. So if using the ultimate home defense loads use 1 1/8 oz loads
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a m2 with 21" barrel for coyote and turkey hunting and it has always went bang when the trigger is pulled. Its worth the money i paid for it and has always worked no matter how bad the weather.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a SBE I bought/traded for 13 or so years ago.  It has seen a ton of shotgun shells, and is still ticking.  The majority of the duck hunters my stepdad guides use a SBE, and they seem to run all the time, and most of the guys don't clean them as they should.

My stepdad has the Super 90, and I like the SBE as it fits me better. Heard great things about the Nova, but haven't shot one yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Benelli is the standard when it comes to waterfowl
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
3 MI tacticals
1 M4

They shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger.

The M4 is a much better shooter.  The M1s recoil is sharp and stout if you do know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The Benelli M4 Entry model is a sexy beast.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Got an M1014 and Nova 26"... both excellent shotguns.

M1014 for USPSA and the Nova for the trap range.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I have owned multiples of the M1, both sporting and tactical.

Also owned the M3, M3 Top Folder, and M4.

Never a single hiccup from any of them, so long as you break them in.

A new in box M1 (should you find one) will need a flat of heavy loads before any target stuff.

Once it limbers up, you will never see a misfire from a gun related problem.

Awesome pcs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#19]
You're 30 days late for the $200 manufacturer rebate.  There may be another one if you wait.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

look into anm2 super 90. very reliable
Is there a recoil spring tube in the stock and how far back does it extend?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I currently have 2 Benellis. I have an old Super Black eagle. It has fired tens of thousands of rounds. I have killed so many birds with it that I cannot remember all the hunts.

I have a SBE II, Its one year old and I love it. Felt recoil is much less than the old gun due to the comfort tech stock.

I have owned a couple of M2s. I loved them

I cannot say enough good things about them. Yes the are expensive, but, you get what you pay for. If want no malfunctions ever get a Benelli.

They willl not cycle 1 oz loads. So if using the ultimate home defense loads use 1 1/8 oz loads

I have the SBE II too.  Pure sex, these are.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#22]
they are an excellent gun, I've tried the Browning Gold, Win SX2, Rem 1187 and I always go back to the Benelli. I bought my first one, an M1 in '97 and put 4000rds through it before I traded it off. I shot mostly reloaded trap shells through it and could count the number of malfunctions I had on one hand, I only had 1 malfunction with the many boxes of factory shells I shot. After that one I tried the other brands, but ended up going back to Benelli in '05 when I bought a new M2.

IMO they are the most reliable semi auto on the market, yea the others are good too, but they are gas operated and have more parts to worry about. the Benelli's are dead simple and practically un breakable. They also need very little maintanace to keep them running, I know guys that abuse them and they still keep going.

For the LOP question, I think it could be done, but your going to have to use a slip on pad  on a synthetic stock because there will be nothing to run screws into on the back of the stock to hold the pad on. You will also need to get a model without the Comfortech stock because these have a removable comb and some recoil reducing chevrons down the side of the stock that would be in the way. A wood stock model or the American series would be what you want. On my Comfortech equiped M2 I could cut the stock down enough to get roughly a 11.5" LOP without any kind of pad attached. The comfortech stock is interchangeable with the wood stock and basic syn stock on the American series so my measurment should be the same for all the models, but I would still ask to pull a pad off and double check the inside of the stock before you purchase just to make sure it will give you the results you want.

For the model,  if you plan on putting a mag extension on it you will need to get either a M1/M2 or a SBE1/SBE2 because they are the only Benlli auto's (except the M4)that will accept extensions.. A wood stock would make it easier to attach a pad after cutting the stock because you could just find a rifle pad and grind it to fit the stock and there should be enough wood left to run screws into after the stock is cut down and that would give you the cleanest look. There would not be anything to run screws into the sythetic stock after the cut is made so a slip on pad would be needed. The M1/M2 is avaliable in a HD model with a short barrel, otherwise the other models with bird barrels are only going to go down to 24" barrels. Short stock models have 21" barrels but I don't know if they come in 12ga. Also, the M1/M2 only hold 3 in the tube so you're going to want an extension for sure.

All my Benelli's have cycled 1oz loads 100%  right out of the box, but 1 1/8oz is the min listed in the manual. But for home defense your going to be using hot loads anyway. I personally stick with a 3" model because I don't think a 3.5" model is really needed for your app. and the 3" models are cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  About 10 inches.

I don't understand why you would want a chopped stock.  Are you a midget?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. About 10 inches.

I don't understand why you would want a chopped stock. Are you a midget?

I might be I'm 5'6". I want the LOP to be a little north of 11 inches.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm looking for a tactical/home defense gun.

Then you should be looking for a pump. I would never suggest a semi for HD, even one as reliable as the Benellis I have owned. Also you LOP req is gonna cause you issues with the Benellis unless you can go collapsible. they fave a fixed length recoil spring tube inside the buttstock unless you get a M4.

I have owned 3 M1s, 2 Montefeltros and a Nova, all great guns. My HD guns are a 870-12ga and a cut down 500C

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I sure do like my VINCI  I know it not a HD but it is that badass
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#27]
My department has run 14" Benelli's with rifle sights and Surefire forends for about 13 years now. We started with 25 M1's and now have an additional 12 M2's. VERY reliable. We have 4 "range guns" that have 25,000-30,000 rounds of 00, slug and bird shot through them. Even reliable with bird shot which we use for tactics training. Not a hiccup.

I think the only of your concerns that may apply is the LOP. Both the pistol grip and standard stock are a little long for body armor IMHO.

Like Ferris Bueller said, "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up".

John
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I prefer my Beretta Xtrema2 for waterfowl.

For a HD gun I prefer my 870 Marine Magnum but if I had a chance to get a Benelli M4 I would but rather I would prefer it over the Remington would have to be determined at a later date.

If you get an 870 then you could get a youth stock for it or cut it off at any length you wanted because it doesn't have anything in the stock to get in the way.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Nova has a long LOP.  I'm currently brainstorming about the best way to chop it, and I'm 5'10".  the molded stock/rcvr makes it a bit risky.  I've even considered chopping the stock right behind the rcvr in order to epoxy in a stud, and mount a blackhawk/knoxx recoil reducing stock.  don't think that will work, but damn I love that stock on my 870.

best idea I've had so far is to just chop it a few inches, then use a "grind-to-fit" butt pad.

if anybody knows of any online write-ups on chopping the nova stock, I'd love to see some

on the positive side though, the action of the Nova is beefy, and operation is excellent.

ETA:  I'm waiting like hell for a Vinci tactical
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#31]
M1, M2, M4 you are good to go
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not down with pump guns.

So the M2 is the only benelli with a short enough recoil spring tube that will allow for a sub 12 inch LOP? The M4 looks short too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're Italian.

They're Expensive.

And they're fucking awesome  I love my M4
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I love my M4 but it is pretty heavy mutha all decked out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. About 10 inches.

I don't understand why you would want a chopped stock. Are you a midget?

Length of pull should be at or above 13", even if you are 5'6".  I am not much taller than that and 13" means my nose is sitting on my thumb.  I am fine with 14-14.25" with a t-shirt or light jacket.  When wearing hunting clothes I would prefer 13.5-13.75".   Most factory guns that are not made in the U.S. come with 14.25" or longer LOP.

Check out an 1100/1187 youth model before you do anything with a Benelli.  The 1100/1187 will give you a really good idea about LOP and what you actually need.

I am a huge Benelli fan.   They work and are super simple!!!!!  

If I am 5'6"  I would want the LOP to be a little north of 11 inches.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

OK.  1100.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#37]
The Urbino Stock by Mesa Tactical might be your best bet for shortening the LOP on a Benelli. It is fixed with a pistol grip and is a little over 2 inches shorter than the factory stock. Makes a huge difference. If you buy the civilian Benelli M4, the tube tops out at 5 rounds which I guess would keep you NY legal but there are also some murky Fed laws about modifying imported shotguns. You'd have to modify the gun even more, oddly enough, by adding more USA manufactured parts. Do some research and I recommend checking out the shotgun forum on this sight.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Length of pull should be at or above 13", even if you are 5'6". I am not much taller than that and 13" means my nose is sitting on my thumb. I am fine with 14-14.25" with a t-shirt or light jacket. When wearing hunting clothes I would prefer 13.5-13.75". Most factory guns that are not made in the U.S. come with 14.25" or longer LOP.

Check out an 1100/1187 youth model before you do anything with a Benelli. The 1100/1187 will give you a really good idea about LOP and what you actually need.

I am a huge Benelli fan. They work and are super simple!!!!!

I just looked up an old post and the LOP on my 930SPX was around 12.5 inches. I think I was measuring correct from trigger to tip of center of the stock. With a squared stance like I shoot my AR and my glock it was a hair too long for me not to mention that it did not have a rubber butt pad as I cut it down so the recoil spring was a half an inch shorter than the stock.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Got a 20 ga and 12 ga M2.  Never missed a beat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Benelli & Short LOP do not belong in the same sentence.

That said, the M1 & M2 are probably some of the best autos on the market.

I'd recommend buying a Remington 870, Hogue Youth Stock, and calling it a day. Would set you back maybe $250-$300 if you go used.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I haven't shot any of their autoloaders but my 12 gauge nova just. plain. works.  Never a problem with it.

The plastic stock flexes a little which takes some of the kick out of heavy loads.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Get a benelli M2. They are very nice shottys. I've got one of them, and an M4. They just keep on shooting.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#43]
My m2 tactical has been excellent.  Im gonna put mesa tacticals new stock on mine soon, that lop is 12.5".
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  About 10 inches.

I don't understand why you would want a chopped stock.  Are you a midget?

I am the same height, and I have an M1 Super 90 with a pistol grip stock. It fits me like a glove, the factory stock feels like it was made for us. There is not a better shotgun out there.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I love my Benelli M2 and my father has the SBE2.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#46]
What about 922R compliance with an extended magazine?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Benelli tactical shotguns are pure sex.
Others will never do after you get used to them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So the M2 is the only benelli with a short enough recoil spring tube that will allow for a sub 12 inch LOP? The M4 looks short too.

I don't know if the VINCI comes in a tactical model.  If it does, it's your best bet.  The recoil spring is contained within the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Get a Benelli with an Xrail.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like you need to .......................... MOVE.

Just say'n....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top