Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/19/2012 11:19:28 PM EDT
I had to put my beloved Golden down over the summer, we are thinking about getting another dog for the kids and ourselfs. We are thinking of getting a 13 inch Beagle because the wife thinks they cute.

Has anyone have any experience with Beagles, are they good dogs?

Brian
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
They howl a lot.

Oh, and they can have strong personalities, very clingy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
They are really good with cream cheese and lox.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They howl a lot.

Mine must be mute... Haven't heard him howl but once or twice...  Yes, very clingy, a bit stubborn and he has an incredible personality...
He's almost 2 years old and I love the little guy...  I've read that they can suffer from epilepsy attacks...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Let's see, they're available in .357 mag, .44 mag, and .50 AE. Great for silhouette, but heavy....wait, you said deagle, didn't you?

oh.

never mind.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I would never ever own another hound!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#6]
we adopted an adult beagle...she bonded into our family very quickly, and while she was fairly noisy, she was also the sweetest dog I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Absolutely loved children and was quite tolerant of their antics. very protective of her people. loved to play and run....and sniff everything.   unfortunately we lost her last May, and she is sorely missed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Never had one myself, but from everything I've heard, they're loud, stubborn, and awesome.  I've played with a few in my time, and they are definitely quite sturdy for their size.  I would say that they're one of the smallest dogs that a kid could really wrestle with without having to worry about hurting the dog.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
They are great, if you like loud, destructive-with the amazing ability to destroy things of high value (Expensive sunglasses, Apple products, remote controls, etc.) and get away with 99% of what they do because they are cute.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They are great, if you like loud, destructive, and vengeful critters that get away with 99% of what they do because they are cute.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are great, if you like loud, destructive, and vengeful critters that get away with 99% of what they do because they are cute.

http://foodcourtlunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/beagle3.jpg

That dag is gliding?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I grew up with a beagle, and they are strange dogs.. Just as sweet and affectionate as can be when they want to be, and the next minute as stubborn as a mule.

And they don't bark or howl (much), they are hounds and they bay.

Our Barnaby lived to 18 years, and he was a very good dog. Just accept that beagles would just as soon ignore you, not even acknowledge your existence a good part of the time.

But all in all I'd say yeah, get a beagle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a beagle. I just put the one i grew up with down a few weeks ago due to a tumor between his heart and lungs. He was only 9, it was sad watching the little guy shut down. I miss the fuck out of that dog every day.

Mine bayed and howled at trains and stuff when he was real young, but not as much as you would think beagles would. They eventually get more mature but are kinda stubborn when they are young, if i was outside with him and he smelt something or saw a squirrel he would head off after it, me screaming at him to come back didnt work until he was older.

Overall a great dog, super affectionate, they are little dogs but arent bitch dogs at the same time (yorkies, poodles, etc.)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:29:11 AM EDT
[#13]
they are food thiefs/counter surfers and true pack dogs that need compainonship.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:38:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Already mentioned, Beagles are in the hound family and are prone to howling...like anytime..be prepared to wear ear muffs.
Also already mentioned, they can be very stubborn and commonly reffered to as the "mules" of the canine family. You might be out walking your beagle on a beautiful day, cross a street..everything is going fine...you get halfway across and your beagle stops and lays down in the middle of the street. All the yelling and yanking and previous training in the world is out the window. You will end up carrying your beagle to the other side.....while cars are honking at you.
But if all this sounds good to you...go for it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#15]
And they don't bark or howl (much), they are hounds and they bay.

My best friend while I was growing up had a beagle. They have the most distinctive sound of any dog I've ever heard.

Just accept that beagles would just as soon ignore you, not even acknowledge your existence a good part of the time.

Just like a cat in that manner.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I prefer quieter dogs. They tend to bark/howl a lot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I prefer quieter dogs. They tend to bark/howl a lot.

Yep, my neighbor has a pen of them and I would love to make them disappear!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They are great, if you like loud, destructive-with the amazing ability to destroy things of high value (Expensive sunglasses, Apple products, remote controls, etc.) and get away with 99% of what they do because they are cute.

Yep. I have 3.  Not apartment dogs thats for sure..

Oh, and they stink a little bit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine does none of the real bad stuff beagles are notorious for.  Yes he can be noisy at times and he likes to get into the garbage but he is a great little hound.

You have to get them out a LOT mine walks 3 times a day and if not he is real grumpy.  When you walk him it is like a tug of war sometimes he pulls you to get a rabbit othertimes you have to drag him to get him away from a scent.  My daughter loves him and he almost always tolerates her.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a great beagle,aka Daisy The Wonder Beagle.

Absolutely the best dog we ever had. I hunt rabbits, and she is a phenomenal one man rabbit dog. She broke off of deer very easily. On the negative, she IS a hound, and was fairly stubborn to house train. Where a Lab might take 6 months to "grow up", Daisy took 18 months. She is kinda "clingy" like someone said earlier, but she is small and not bothersome. She trails me around the house, camps out where ever I am. If someone wants a low maintanence dog, beagles aren't it.....if you don't hunt rabbits, they will need a looong walk every day. Make it a house dog and you won't have the backyard howling you hear about.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:01:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had to put my beloved Golden down over the summer, we are thinking about getting another dog for the kids and ourselfs. We are thinking of getting a 13 inch Beagle because the wife thinks they cute.

Brian

I had one when I wa younger. They are affectionate dogs, but mine stunk.. Even after you gave her a  bath.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:01:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I am currently dogsitting my sisters 3 Beagles for a week and a half.  At this time I can say that I am beginning to hate beagles !  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:02:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mine ate a sofa, and chewed up an old TV we had stored in the garage.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine ate a sofa, and chewed up an old TV we had stored in the garage.

Mine ate at least one pair of Maui Jim sunglasses and eats any cushion or pillow you put into his cage.  The funk can be bad too, it only takes a week or so after a bath for that hound dog smell to come back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#25]
My favorite. I'm currently between beagles and looking for another come spring.  Great with kids, very patient with them. Ive honestly never had one that was all that noisy. They do require more training than say, a Lab. Once they are trained however, they are good. They are escape artists. If you can get them out to run rabbits they are a joy. This also helps keep them quiet as they get to make some noise while on the chase and ours learned quickly that making noise is reserved for chasing bunnies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#26]
They broke up in 1970.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:17:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Root of all evil.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They howl a lot.

This,and as others have said,they do tend to have a unique odor.
The ones that we have had are very good with kids.Sorry about your golden.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I used to have a six pack of 10'' Tennessee beagles, they were very good dogs for there purpose (deer/ rabbit). They were the most mischievous animals I've ever been around, Lord they were fun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:01:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Friggin awesome pooches.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I haven't had good luck with them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Upside:
Fun energetic dogs.  
They are amazingly cute especially as puppies.
Great family dogs.  Our kids would hang all over him and he would take every bit of it.
Great hunting dogs.

Downside:
They can be loud depends on the dog. The one we had rarely barked and only howled when chasing bunnies.
If you want a dog that you can keep off leash and have it follow you around like a golden or a lab this ain't it.
They will wander they are driven by their nose. They can's help it.  So unless you have a fenced yard they need to be on a leash.
They are prone to back problems as is any dog that is two dogs long and half a dog high.

I miss this dog all the time. He was an old man in this picture.

He is the one on the left.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Multiple personality animals.

Inside beagle loves people and other pets. Not too hard to train. Ours rings a bell when he wants out. He sits, lays down and does other tricks.
Basically a 25# lap dog that loves attention.

Outside beagle says fuck you, I'm chasing bunnies. Needs space to run and exercise every day.

Ours rarely makes a noise inside, only when on a bunny trail.

They can smell bad, it has something to do with the fact that they will roll in anything!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:20:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Stick with the 15 inch; you'll get more muzzle velocity.

Wait, what?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Best breed I've ever owned. Mine have been fun, loyal and gentle with kids. They don't howl all that much and mine don't smell either! Great watch dogs and like another poster mentioned, they are a smaller dog without the toy dog stigma.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Brian

My in-laws have always had beagles. They're sweet, cute, noisy (hubby calls the howling  "beagle song"), and can be hyper.   They'll also eat themselves into a coma as often as they can and will get really fat unless you keep them active and don't overfeed them.

They're also ruled by their nose and tend to take off and go deaf to you if they smell something good. This is great if you're hunting rabbits, not so great if you're trying to get them back so you can put them in the house and head to work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:28:16 AM EDT
[#37]
The Beagles were the most over-rated band, ever.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I've got two. Love them. They are loud and that can be a good thing...and equally irritating.

Mine are lap dogs, not working dogs. If you get one you need a fenced in yard. The room lets them roam and sniff and play and get the destructive energy out.

Letting one roam free is not a good idea in a suburban or city area. They follow their noses everywhere. They go with a scent and keep going without regard to the rest of the world. That includes crossing busy streets and highways.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Get the big kind.  Big enough to make an impression, but not so small to be written off.

VERY sturdy and solid.

Too smart for their own good.

Hilarious.  They're always up to something.

Extremely loyal but not in an annoying way.

Monitor their food intake.  That feeling most animals have telling them they are full, yeah they don't have that.

If there is something they can roll in, they will find it.  It's their version of scent masking, makes them better hunters.

They will chase any kind of small furry animal in the yard.  Even ones in the neighbor's yard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:31:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Beaglez wit de Deamz!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

My in-laws have always had beagles. They're sweet, cute, noisy (hubby calls the howling  "beagle song"), and can be hyper.   They'll also eat themselves into a coma as often as they can and will get really fat unless you keep them active and don't overfeed them.

They're also ruled by their nose and tend to take off and go deaf to you if they smell something good. This is great if you're hunting rabbits, not so great if you're trying to get them back so you can put them in the house and head to work.
They will eat until they splode if you let them. They are gluttons. And their sense of smell will drive them crazy when you have food. We brought home leftover roasted duck from a restaurant one time, and our boys went apeshit. They howled, pranced, and then went into this weird cry-warble until my wife just gave them the duck to shut them up.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Family in my neighborhood has a beagle that they tend to let run loose.  Drives me fuggin' nuts when he's out and I'm walking my dog.  He will literally follow us around the neighborhood barking and howling the whole time.  PITA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If there is something they can roll in, they will find it. It's their version of scent masking, makes them better hunters.

When ours would get loose, I swear it found every pile of dog/cat/deer/raccoon shit within a 3 mile radius and roll in it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:43:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Amen

GSD for the win

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#45]
ours is 1/2 beagle and 1/2 Lab. she's a runner, if she gets out her nose drops to the ground and she takes off in pursuit. She's vocal, makes a lot of neat noises,grunts,growls,squeaks and rumbles like a Wookie in the early morning when I pet her. She's clingy when you get home and she's been alone, but i prefer that to not noticing me at all. Open the fridge and her head goes inside immediatly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen

GSD for the win

You guys are on to something. I have 2 beagles. I love them, but I don't think I'll own another. My great dane is easier to train, easier to groom, doesn't dig or snore or flip out if I'm 2 minutes late serving him dinner.

I'm thinking GSD or Doberman for my next dog.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:04:42 AM EDT
[#47]
If you want a hound breed without a lot of the obnoxious Beagle traits, get a Catahoula Cur. One of the best dogs [I'd put her up there with my GSD/Malamute mix I used to have] I've ever owned.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#48]
They are great companions and get along with just about everyone. They are clingy, but not one master dogs by any means.

It also costs a metric fuck ton of cash to have then fixed up after near death run ins with coyotes.  Afterwards, they will enjoy a life of ease occupying your favorite recliner and there is nothing you can do about it.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#49]
The only reason they are still around as a breed is because they are cute as puppies.  Great working dogs, but few use them for that anymore.

No more hound dogs for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#50]
I've had beagles all my life. Good dogs, and the bark is epic. Mine is a LAZY dog now, and we call hime the 4H beagle because he is so overweight, but great dogs for the house because of their size. They are also not afraid of being watchdogs. Great early warning alarm that the whole neighborhood can hear. Only downside is that if you live in an area with lots of rabbits, or your gate gets left open, your beagle may end up in the next county following his sniffer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top