Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2002 11:13:29 AM EDT
Might be moving there in a year or so.  Or the Ft. Worth area.  Anyone got any tips/opinions on the area?  What's the weather like?  What's the job situation like?  Anyone in construction management know what that specific job market is like?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Tell Me about Dallas
View Quote

Well, they aint none to fond of Kennedys...
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a rumor that they have a football team, but as of yet, that cannot be confirmed.
[peep]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I have figured it out that every American will live in Dallas at some point in his or her life!

So just go ahead and get it over with sooner rather than later.

Who knows, you might just stick around for the duration.

Eric The(DallasChamberOfCommerce)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#4]
We don't have any more room on the freeways.  Come back in 5 years when the "High 5" BS is done.  Takes almost 2 hours to get to work as it is.
[whacko]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Ft. Worth is more fun.  Traffic is better there too.  

Dallas is where the East ends.  Ft. Worth is where the West begins.

Ft. Worth is a big small town.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Dallas has 2 weathers. Hot & Humid and Cold
Very nice political climate.
Womenz are stuck up, at least towards me they are.
Job market kinda sucks, however I see a lot of construction so that might be good.
Good neighborhood are towards the northern part of Dallas.
Don't know where you are now, but if you are used to mountains, there ain't none here.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My sister just moved to Dallas two years ago. Housing is very cheap. Very firearm friendly and the weather is hot and humid.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, where its hot and humid 8 monts a year, and the other four I have to deal with 80 year olds and rich carpet-baggers.  I did notice that housing was cheap.  What do you mean by a two hour commute?  Are there trains from the suburbs to downtown area?  And this two hours, its from where to where exactly?  I know people down here that live in palm beach and drive to miami, so they have a two hour commute too.  Thats about picking your location, not traffic.
Tell me more about Fort Worth, if anyone knows.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...Womenz are stuck up, at least towards me they are.
View Quote

No they're just stuck up. I had to go down to Palestine to find my wife. But, they all is sure fine to look at. :D
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]
What do you mean by a two hour commute? Are there trains from the suburbs to downtown area?
View Quote

DART just opened a rail line from plano to downtown Dallas. They also plan on connecting other suburbs via rail.. but thats still a while away..

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Ft. Worth has a real downtown that rocks after dark.

Ft. Worth has better museums and cultural thingies.

Ft. Worth has a better attitude.

Ft. Worth has Billy Bob's.

Housing is cheaper in Ft. Worth.

You know your neighbors in Ft. Worth.

Fewer big city problems in Ft. Worth.

It's a quality of life thing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Ft Worth has Angelo's.  'Nuff said! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I left that one for you or 1GUNRUNNER1!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, Ft. Worth has Angelo's Barbecue, but as the Hun and His Traveling Road Show found out yesterday, it is CLOSED on SUNDAYS!

Wahhhh! Don't they know that fat folks like to eat on Sundays, as well?

Oh well, there's always......

Eric The(Something)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Commute is from Van Alstyne area(FAR NORTH DALLAS) to Las Colinas.  About 60 miles one way.  Yeah, yeah I did it too myself.  But I can still use my full-auto range and hunt coyotes in my little neck of the woods.  AWESOME!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ft Worth has Angelo's.  'Nuff said! [:D]
View Quote

Agreed!!! When DonR told me about this place I did not believe him. Now I am a believer. What in the world do they put in that sauce. I can eat that by itself.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Everyone if Ft. Worth wants to live in Dallas!
Seriously, It's hotter than hell here, weather can change severely in 24 hours (it can drop 40-50 degrees. It's flat, flat, flat... But the GUN LAWS are great. CCL is easy to get, you can carry a loaded long arm (rifle or shotgun) in your car or on your person! I carry an AR15 or a Rem 870 in the car (depends on my mood). You can buy a Serbu (.12 or 20ga pump shotgun with a 6 inch barrel)for around $600 and carry it legally! God Bless Texas!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Anybody with a niner logo can..Chupar on thine grande varga!

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Well there is a guy named J.R. and his brother is Bobby ewing and it sucks .
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Don't watch Swordfish to much.....sir.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Everyone if Ft. Worth wants to live in Dallas!
Seriously, It's hotter than hell here, weather can change severely in 24 hours (it can drop 40-50 degrees. It's flat, flat, flat... But the GUN LAWS are great. CCL is easy to get, you can carry a loaded long arm (rifle or shotgun) in your car or on your person! I carry an AR15 or a Rem 870 in the car (depends on my mood). You can buy a Serbu (.12 or 20ga pump shotgun with a 6 inch barrel)for around $600 and carry it legally! God Bless Texas!
View Quote

I see the ATF will be visiting you shortly (6 inch barrel legally) OK
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
God Bless Texas!
View Quote

Amen to that! [;D]  There are some good folks in Dallas/Ft. Worth.  I hoped to move there last year working for Bank of America, but the position fell through.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 2:37:57 AM EDT
[#25]
NFA WEAPONS ARE LEGAL AND PLENTIFUL ALL OVER TEXAS (FULL AUTO, SHORT BARRELED RIFLES/SHOTGUNS, AND AOW's).

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 2:41:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can buy a Serbu (.12 or 20ga pump shotgun with a 6 inch barrel)for around $600 and carry it legally! God Bless Texas!
View Quote

I see the ATF will be visiting you shortly (6 inch barrel legally) OK
View Quote

It's called a registered AOW.  Perfectly legal.
View Quote

Yep....if he lived in Texas he would know about stuff like that...
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Question: What does Ft. Worth have that Dallas doesn't?
Answer: A major city 30 miles away...

Seriously, I've lived in both and could live in either one now with the job I have. I live in Fort Worth. Great pedestrian downtown, 'the worlds greatest small museum' (Kimball) if you're into that sort of thing. A decent gun show about every 6 weeks. More laid back.

Although, the womenz in Big D are about as fine as you will find anywhere (and they know it).
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Dunno, I've been in Dallas going on  1.5 yrs now and I have not seen traffic yet. Everyone keeps talking about traffic. I keep missing it. Either that or Dallasites do not KNOW traffic.

Traffic is a daily occurence of sitting in one spot, on the fwy, for more that 15mins. No accident. No construction. Perfect weather. On a 10 lane fwy (5 lanes each way). Both sides of the fwy. @ 3:00 PM in the afternoon Or 7:30 in the morning. Think I'm kidding. Try getting into the city in SF using the Bay Bridge from Oakland. Try using the Santa Monica fwy or the 91 Riverside fwy in SoCal around that time. Boys THAT IS traffic. What you have here in Dallas is a slow crawl, NOT Traffic. REPEAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN DALLAS!! You just have fucked up on ramps and off ramps. I do like the little access road U-Turn dealys though
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I do like the little access road U-Turn dealys though
View Quote

That's a "Texas Turn-Around".  It's always amazing not to see those other places.

Makes intersections much less crowded.

Never thought they were anything special till I missed them when out of state.

First heard the term used by friends from CA.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Lordtrader, I don't think that most people comprehend Kali style traffic. It isn't just 'traffic', it is a separate malevelent entity, writ large on a macro scale.

I "commuted" from Livermore to San Jose a couple a years ago and this drive was I'm guessing 30 miles as the crow flies. A good day (no wrecks) was 2+ hours. A bad day was a Poe short story. I did think it was kinda cool the way the motorcycles would just fly by on the white stripe at 70mph though.

You are right about Dallas traffic, it's more of a molassis situation as opposed to a 30 mile parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Womenz is yummy
and there's plenty of money.
Houses is cheap, but
the BS is deep.
Highways are nice, but
they're slower than mice.
Summer is hot,
winter is colder than snot.
Bunches of guns, and of course,
and Eric the Hun.

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I did think it was kinda cool the way the motorcycles would just fly by on the white stripe at 70mph though.

View Quote

Ahhh the White Line law. Bikes can ride the white line. Figures CA to have a "white line"(snort) law. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#35]
It's called lane splitting, the "motorcycles ride the white line" thing.  Anyone know if Texas allows it too?  I ride a Harley, and wish they would let me do it here in Florida.  Of course, I'd get creamed by a damn bluehair carpetbagger if I tried it down here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top