Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 7:35:54 PM EDT
I need to burn some DVD backups of shows recorded on my Dish Network PVR. There are a lot of stand alone DVD burners which run $100-150 but these cheap models don't seem to have a hard disk. Will they work for burning a bunch of my favorite episodes on one DVD?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:03:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:08:52 PM EDT
I was thinking about one of these:

Sharp DVD Burner
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:11:33 PM EDT
If a computer one will work you can get one from newegg.com for around $50...thats what i got mine for.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:19:13 PM EDT
Having to record from the analog outputs has stopped me.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
I need to burn some DVD backups of shows recorded on my Dish Network PVR. There are a lot of stand alone DVD burners which run $100-150 but these cheap models don't seem to have a hard disk. Will they work for burning a bunch of my favorite episodes on one DVD?

GunLvr

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 1:34:58 PM EDT by HardShell]
Learn from my mistake : Spring extra for a model with a hard drive, so you can edit, etc. before burning to the DVD.

I recently bought an inexpensive Panasonic unit without the hard drive and already regret it. The ease of use and recording quality are great - but editing options are all but non-existent on anything exept a DVD-RAM (which, of course, cannot be formatted/finalized to work on other standard DVD players).

It is fine for transferring movies from the DVR (as long as you're there to start and stop it where you want - no truncating later ) and for making permanent discs of old/new home videos, but to get the most out of movies recorded on your DVR I strongly recommend one with a hard drive - it's just much more flexible IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:36:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:49:43 AM EDT
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I think I'll go with the cheap unit (wife doesn't want to spend much on this) but shortly I will be getting DirectTV and hopefully I can hack the DirectTivo to save shows on my computer and also edit shows before burning onto DVD.

GunLvr
Top Top