Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2016 1:10:51 AM EDT
Corsairs had six guns and a gun camera in the right wing (inboard of the guns, near the hinge).  What is making this Corsair look like it has eight guns?

What do you see?

ETA: Corsair gun camera location (there was a landing light in the opposite location on the port side):

ETA: Landing light in same position, other side:

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:38:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Marginally helped performance and endurance to cover the gunports with tape or cloth and dope, until they actually needed to be fired. Think of them as replaceable shoot-through muzzle covers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I see 6 taped... the 2 outermost ports look like the have lenses or something other than a barrel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:15:30 AM EDT
[#3]
There was never an eight gun version of the Corsair.  That's not a field mod either.  If you look at the right wing (lens perspective), there are no powder burns visible on the bottom of the wings when they clearly are below the actual three gun ports.  Additionally, if you zoom in, the outboard most "ports" appear much lighter in color than the inner three taped ports, indicating to me they're painted.

Who knows the reason why.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
From a friend (callsign "Wiki", appropriately enough):

"VMF 213 had the habit of painting fake gun ports outside the original 3. I've seen one that looks like it has 10 guns. If you see it up close you can see the fake."

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#5]
So, I did an image search of "VFM-213" and found this pic.  Seems to show five "guns" on the closest Corsair's wing.

The pic I posted in the OP also came up in the search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top