Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/28/2001 3:38:10 PM EST
Just wondering if it would be legal to build an AR lower(postban) with a teloscoping stock and other "ATF Evil features" if I register my lower as a pistol? any info would be most helpful! THANKS![beer] ~Ric
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 3:48:12 PM EST
A pistol cannot have a stock of any kind - or it's legally a short-barrel rifle. A post-ban AR-15 SBR cannot have a telestock if it's got the detachable magazine and a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 4:19:20 PM EST
No pistol can have a stock? i always see products for many pistols to ad a stock to them,and i never see any disclaimer about checking NFA rules or laws, what about making my lower into like you said a short barreld rifle,do you you know what it takes or any forms I need to do so? Thanks Again!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:43:01 PM EST
A lawful pistol with a stock attached becomes a "SBR", subject to NFA rules. A pistol with a stock must have a 16" minimum length barrel to be legal. To make your rifle a SBR, you need to do a Form-1, along with the tax paid, CLEO signature, fingerprints and photos. Then you can take the stock off, and it looks like a pistol, but still a rifle under the rules.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:47:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:40:23 PM EST
50 Ounces = 3 Pounds, 2 Ounces [list=1] [*]FAR-15 = 4 Pounds, 14.72 Ounces = 78.72 Ounces[/*] [*]Carbon 15 Rifle w/ Stock = 4 Pounds, 4.8 Ounces = 68.8 Ounces[/*] [*]Carbon 15 Rifle w/o Stock = 3 Pounds, 14.4 Ounces = 62.4 Ounces[/*] [*]Carbon 15 Pistol = 2 Pounds, 14 Ounces = 46 Ounces[/*] [/list]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:56:45 PM EST
It is doable, but you will likely have to do alot of custom work. [list=1] [*]Go With A Flat-Top Upper.[/*] [*]Use Aluminum Rather Than Steel Wherever Possible.[/*] [*]Shorten The Barrel To 7.5" or Less.[/*] [*]Use Plastic Rather Than Metal Parts Wherever Possible.[/*] [*]Remove Any Unnecessary Parts.[/*] [list=1] [*]Bolt Catch[/*] [*]Dust Cover[/*] [*]Trigger Gaurd[/*] [*]Foward Assist[/*] [/list=1] [*]If Necessary, Cast Your Own Plastic Lower. You could check around and see if Cavalry Arms will make you a custom one w/o a Built-In Stock. I'm not sure, but I believe no Lower that comes with a stock can be considered a pistol.[/*] [*]AND, IF ALL ELSE FAILS: Get A GogoGadgets Lower w/ Non-Detachable Magazine or Alter your Mag. to be Non-Detachable. I have designed a modified Mag. Release that will make my Mag. Non-Detachable and I will soon check with the ATF (Opinion Letter) as to whether it is considered Non-Detachable.[/*] [/list=1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:04:45 AM EST
Cheaper, and Legal, to either pay the $200 making tax and build it as an AOW OR have a Title II manufacturer build and register it as an an AOW and transfer to you with a $5 transfer tax. In either case the 94 ban doesn't apply to an AOW. You still won't be able to add a stock, that would make it an SBR, which Is covered by the ban.
Top Top