Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 3:03:32 PM EDT
I was reading up on NC gun laws cause I'm here and it said that Teflon bullets were illegal???  WTF?

link  Cllck NC on the map and read.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Teflon coated bullets are illegal in VA too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
some legislators watched too many movies
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a pointless law.
I can run out to Home Depot, wrap my bullets in teflon plumbers tape, and have AP rounds in seconds.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]
where can one buy teflon bullets?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What about Moly Coating your bullets? not as slick but the same concept right?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
So what do teflon bullets do, provide a non-stick surface for the bullet?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Are we talking about Moly coated bullets?

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=875044
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So what do teflon bullets do, provide a non-stick surface for the bullet?

They're less prone to ricocheting and, ironically, are less likely to penetrate kevlar than standard FMJ bullets.

They've been largely replaced with frangible ammunition. They were never armor-piercing anymore than a Glock is invisible to airport x-rays, but politicians and Hollywood were never really concerned with facts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I seem to remember two urban legends...one about the teflon making the bullets faster that they will go right through vests.....the other that the teflon keeps the rifling from making traceable marks on the fired bullet...both of course lend to the good old nickname for these..."cop killer bullets"

I actually never understood that actual purpose of these.
The only person that I knew that had a huge cache of teflon coated rounds..............was a cop. I am guessing he wasnt trying to penetrate vests or use ammo that couldnt be traced back to his gun. Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]
NC legislators have been watching too many movies.

“If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law.” Sir Winston Churchill
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#13]
The facts are that the Teflon was the "sticky" type, and it only covered the nose of a flat point sintered steel bullet.  It made the bullet more resistent to ricocheting off of auto glass and doors.

The teflon did not make the bullet any more "Armour piercing" than it was without the teflon.

Teflon nosed bullets (specifically the KTW round) could penetrate some lighter samples of soft body armour. The penetration was because the bullet was high velocity , hard steel, and had a flat point. The teflon was irrelevant.

Spraying teflon on a bullet does not make it armour piercing.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Teflon "bullets"

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#15]

.50 BMG  + PAM =
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#16]
The "AP Teflon bullets" refer to a rarely known KTW ammo, which was only marketed to Law Enforcement only, and have never released for public sales.  Interestingly, it was precisely the work of irresponsible news reporting that let the cat out of the bag.

The KTW projectile was made with hardened steel, intended to defeat body armor in pistol caliber.  Teflon was applied to the surface of the projectile to protect the rifling of th pistol or revolver, and not intended to enhanced penetration.

At this time and age, the KTW pistol ammo is sort of mood.  I think the company have went out of business too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The facts are that the Teflon was the "sticky" type, and it only covered the nose of a flat point sintered steel bullet.  It made the bullet more resistent to ricocheting off of auto glass and doors.

The teflon did not make the bullet any more "Armour piercing" than it was without the teflon.

Teflon nosed bullets (specifically the KTW round) could penetrate some lighter samples of soft body armour. The penetration was because the bullet was high velocity , hard steel, and had a flat point. The teflon was irrelevant.

If I may correct - the KTW round was not Teflon nosed.  It had a peculiar construction that had an adverse effect upon barrel wear and lifetime.  The solution offered was to spray the bullets with Teflon to lubricate them and to reduce barrel wear.  It had nothing to do with the terminal ballistics, intentional or unintentional.  But since it was a feature of an anti-armor handgun round it must of course be contributing to its terminal effects.

It would have made as much sense to ban the type of powder used in the KTW rounds.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I may correct - the KTW round was not Teflon nosed.  It had a peculiar construction that had an adverse effect upon barrel wear and lifetime.  The solution offered was to spray the bullets with Teflon to lubricate them and to reduce barrel wear.  It had nothing to do with the terminal ballistics, intentional or unintentional.  But since it was a feature of an anti-armor handgun round it must of course be contributing to its terminal effects.

It would have made as much sense to ban the type of powder used in the KTW rounds.

Hmm.. My info is from an interview with the three cops that made up "KTW" in some gun mag years ago. You might be right though, as your version makes sense too.

BTW, Nyclad = Nylon Clad lead bullets. The nylon (ie plastic) coating reduced leading.

I understand that Nyclad HPs aren't made any more....
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
some legislators watched too many movies

Good thing they haven't heard about the new waffle-faced, split-tail, anal-ease coated bullets.  Those fuckers are nasty, I heard they cut through kevlar like the proverbial hot knife through butter.  Ssshhhhh, don't let DU get wind of this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm.. My info is from an interview with the three cops that made up "KTW" in some gun mag years ago. You might be right though, as your version makes sense too.

BTW, Nyclad = Nylon Clad lead bullets. The nylon (ie plastic) coating reduced leading.

I understand that Nyclad HPs aren't made any more....

Funny, that I've not sure that it was true or not, but there have been reports that LE people have confused Federal Nyclads with the murderous KTW teflon coated bullet, and of course they were arrested for possesion of teflon bullets.  Later they were released when they found out that Nyclad were not on the "no-no" list.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess this is similar to the outlawing of brass knuckes, switch blades and silencers.  Fucking legislators.  Wouldn't is be nice if legislators had to bring up the repeal of a law for consideration for every time they consider a new law.  I mean fuck.  Fucking ignorant paternalists.  Like teflon alone makes a bullet evil.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if Mythbuster would be interested in the whole teflon bullet theory.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#23]
jsut for kicks, i bet we could get some media and poiitical attention for the civilian depleted uranium bullet problem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I wonder if Mythbuster would be interested in the whole teflon bullet theory.

Good point.  Can they be contacted w/ suggestions.  That would be a great way to make politicians look like frigging idiots!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top