Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2013 8:44:13 AM EDT
Link

Rochester, NY

Three African-American teenagers arrested and charged with disorderly conduct last week believe they were unfairly targeted by police.

The basketball players said they were waiting for a bus in Rochester, NY, to take them to a scrimmage when police asked them to leave the area. When 17-year-old Deaquon Carelock and 16-year-olds Raliek Redd and Wan’Tauhjs Weathers pushed back against the officer’s request, saying they were following instructions from their coach, police arrested them.

“You’re just downtown minding your own business and the next thing you know, anything can happen,” Carelock said in video captured by NBC station WHEC.

“We tried to tell them that we were waiting for the bus,” Weathers added. “We weren’t catching a city bus, we were catching a yellow bus. He didn’t care. He arrested us anyways.”

Police say the teens were obstructing pedestrian traffic and repeatedly ignored orders to disperse, according to a police report obtained by FOX station WROC. Police had been keeping an eye on the area after receiving complaints of loitering from a nearby store. The students’ coach said he had no reason to think they were causing trouble.

“My guys were waiting for the bus like they normally do,” Jacob Scott, the student’s basketball coach, said. “I get to the scene after parking my car and three of my guys are handcuffed.”

At that point Scott says he tried to explain to the officer that the students were simply following his instructions to wait for the ride to their scrimmage, prompting the officer to tell him he too might be arrested if he didn’t leave the area.

outcome.............
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#1]
WWB... the new DWB.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Isolated incident.  Oh, by the way, pick up that can.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Soda or beer?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
This country is fucking ruined.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Made it home safe, blah blah blah.  Christ, how low do our standards of fairness and just behavior have to sink before we wake up as a society?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Deaquon Carelock
Raliek Redd
Wan’Tauhjs Weathers
View Quote

Even a serial novelist can't make up shit like that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#7]
This is bullshit, of course nobody worth a damn will give a shit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Deaquon Carelock
Raliek Redd
Wan’Tauhjs Weathers

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Of course I believe the story Deaquon Carelock, Raliek Redd and Wan’Tauhjs Weathers told. I am sure they were in no way standing in such a way as to hamper pedestrian traffic or blocking the entrance to shops.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Deaquon Carelock
Raliek Redd
Wan’Tauhjs Weathers

No shit, I think they were arrested for having seriously fucked up names

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Interested in seeing what the cops side of the story is.

After all, there ARE two sides to every story.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not in GD. There is only the news story.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Of course I believe the story Deaquon Carelock, Raliek Redd and Wan’Tauhjs Weathers told. I am sure they were in no way standing in such a way as to hamper pedestrian traffic or blocking the entrance to shops.
View Quote
Naw bro.  The man's racist.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#14]
"Deaquon Carelock, Raliek Redd, Wan’Tauhjs Weathers"

the fuck is that?  where do they come up with this shit?  cant you just have a normal name?  their parents are the ones that need to be arrested.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

the fuck is that?  where do they come up with this shit?  cant you just have a normal name?  their parents are the ones that need to be arrested.
View Quote

Yeah, but it sure makes the NCIC searches easier than names like Bob Miller.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With names like that, you really think there is NICS paperwork being filled out
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
The fact the officers  statement was left out speaks volumes..   My question is, what were they doing to draw the attention of the police in the first place.   We're they making piggy sounds?  Taunting with donuts?   Or maybe being loud and obnoxious  to others.   But who cares.  Only racism matters.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
WTF?  I'd have thought we've moved beyond that kind of BS.
View Quote

Not at all. In fact, if you read a few posts already present in this thread, you'll realize that the 1950s were just a a few years ago.

Them colored folk with them funny names don't need no fuckin' rights.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not at all. In fact, if you read a few posts already present in this thread, you'll realize that the 1950s were just a a few years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hows the view from up there on your high horse?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#21]
How many people in this thread would be uneasy with those three just "hanging out minding their business" in THEIR neighborhood?

"Look at those racist pigs harassing those poor youths"....to..."Ah yes I'd like to report suspicious males in front of my home, can you have an officer come check them out please, it doesn't appear they belong in the area"

Be careful what you wish for, folks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How many people in this thread would be uneasy with those three just "hanging out minding their business" in THEIR neighborhood?

"Look at those racist pigs harassing those poor youths"....to..."Ah yes I'd like to report suspicious males in front of my home, can you have an officer come check them out please, it doesn't appear they belong in the area"

View Quote

If the story tracks as told, I wouldn't give 2/5 of a flying fuck (shamelessly stolen from another post in GD), if they were acting like tards, harassing people and impeding traffic I would have them checked no mater if they were black, white, yellow, red or fucking purple.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your sarcasm detector needs maintenance.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
WWB... the new DWB.
View Quote

I tried to explain to someone that DWB was a code for driving while smoking a joint with the windows down so you can smell it half a mile away, with an expired registration, no taillights, and a bogus tag.

He countered that the police would not stop a white person who did that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I tried to explain to someone that DWB was a code for driving while smoking a joint with the windows down so you can smell it half a mile away, with an expired registration, no taillights, and a bogus tag.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WWB... the new DWB.

I have arrested more whites than blacks for pot.

I must be racist.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will happen from time to time
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If the story tracks as told, I wouldn't give 2/5 of a flying fuck (shamelessly stolen from another post in GD), if they were acting like tards, harassing people and impeding traffic I would have them checked no mater if they were black, white, yellow, red or fucking purple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were 16 yutes at the bus stop.  I wonder what the three that were arrested did to distinguish themselves.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Trolling the police: how did that workout?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I was thinking the same thing.
Maybe they were playing basketball in the street and screwing around stopping traffic.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Rochester wins again.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There were 16 yutes at the bus stop.  I wonder what the three that were arrested did to distinguish themselves.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

At that point (Coach) Scott says he tried to explain to the officer that the students were simply following his instructions to wait for the ride to their scrimmage, prompting the officer to tell him he too might be arrested if he didn’t leave the area.

“One of the police officers actually told me, if he had a big enough caravan, he would take all of us downtown,” Scott said, referring to himself and the other students waiting to attend the scrimmage on a day off from school.

Maybe they were the only ones short enough to fit in the patrol car.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WWB... the new DWB.

Smoking a joint? I wouldn't of stopped anyone who did that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*spits*

Looks like rain.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I dont find this surprising at all. Bus company build bus stops for its customers use. Someone else converts one for their own use and gets a ticket for it.  How is this shocking?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At that point (Coach) Scott says he tried to explain to the officer that the students were simply following his instructions to wait for the ride to their scrimmage, prompting the officer to tell him he too might be arrested if he didn’t leave the area.

“One of the police officers actually told me, if he had a big enough caravan, he would take all of us downtown,” Scott said, referring to himself and the other students waiting to attend the scrimmage on a day off from school.

Ah, good catch!  I'm sure that was it.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I dont find this surprising at all. Bus company build bus stops for its customers use. Someone else converts one for their own use and gets a ticket for it.  How is this shocking?
View Quote

Odd. I've been ticketed a bunch of times. I never had to post bond to go home, though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Odd. I've been ticketed a bunch of times. I never had to post bond to go home, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay. Should have been cited and released. holding them as custodial arrests was stupid unless the offense was likely to continue.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Been there. Standing at a bus stop, wanting to catch a bus down to the repair shop. Big bus shelter, with "King County Metro" painted on it, a bus stop sign with bus info on it, and painted on the road in front of me: "Transit Only".

Cop drives by, turns around, comes back, stops in the " transit only" lane, gets out of his car, says "Good afternoon", and I gave a generic "Afternoon" reply, nodding my head, and was surprised when he asks "Waiting for a bus?"

It all went downhill from there as, apparently, busting out in laughter was a no no.

I'm guessing dude had trouble with the detective exam.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Okay. Should have been cited and released. holding them as custodial arrests was stupid unless the offense was likely to continue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It only looks worse when they later drop all charges "in the interest of justice."
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Athletic teens with lots of energy "doing nothing" can seem pretty disruptive to old folks.

If they had a ball and were messing around while waiting I could see two valid points of view on this.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Made it home safe, blah blah blah.  Christ, how low do our standards of fairness and just behavior have to sink before we wake up as a society?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact they were waiting for a bus is irrevelant.

If they were blocking a sidewalk and wouldn't move then its a good arrest.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a general rule, when the cops say one thing and then do something which makes me question what they said (in this case, arresting the teens and then dropping charges) I'm inclined to think "wow, the cops fucked that one up, somehow."

ETA: I'm also inclined to feel the same way when a group of folks say "mah bebe didn't do nuffin" and the actors are later tried and found guilty of the "nuffin" they "didn't do."

It's a two way street.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#45]
RPD has been known to be full of dafuq for a long time.  This is why I don't go into RottenCrotchFester very often, and only when I really have to.  Geneva is trying to be OC's "little rochester".

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Oh and charges dropped, too.  This has been in and out of the news before Afcom found it?  Y'all are slacking.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Oh and charges dropped, too.  This has been in and out of the news before Afcom found it?  Y'all are slacking.  
View Quote

I believe there was another thread on it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
RPD has been known to be full of dafuq for a long time.
View Quote

What do you expect when you recruit from the NYPD?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Deaquon Carelock

Raliek Redd

Wan’Tauhjs Weathers

Why in the fuck would you name your child something nobody can even pronounce?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deaquon Carelock
Raliek Redd
Wan’Tauhjs Weathers

Why do people care what other people name their children?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top