Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/7/2003 8:37:21 AM EDT
[url]http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/auto/epaper/editions/today/metro_state_e31e09e5a18801490015.html[/url]
Teenager accidentally shoots self, friends say By Sarah Coppola AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF Saturday, June 7, 2003 ROUND ROCK -- Mark Valentine loved MTV and rap music. He liked to shoot pool and joke around with friends. He had a serious side, too: He had just gotten his General Educational Development certificate and was planning to join the Navy in August. But Valentine, 19, of Round Rock died early Thursday morning after accidentally shooting himself in the head with a small handgun, friends said. The incident occurred at a Limestone Ranch apartment at 2800 La Frontera Blvd., where Valentine was hanging out with some friends. Valentine's best friend, Adrian Duval, 17, said he, his girlfriend, his cousin and Valentine were watching a movie in his bedroom when Mark asked to see the gun. Duval got the .22-caliber handgun from a hallway closet. "He kept playing with it, and I told him to stop doing that, but he wouldn't," Duval said. "He said he knew what he was doing." He said Valentine knew the gun was loaded. A few minutes later, about 1:30 a.m., the gun discharged. Police said Valentine was pronounced dead that afternoon at Brackenridge Hospital. Duval said his friend knew how to use a gun. But Valentine's father said his son wasn't familiar with firearms and had often said he didn't like them. Valentine had drunk two beers, Duval said. Police said they do not believe the alcohol was a factor. Duval's sister and her husband were in another bedroom; his mom, Maria Alvarado, and two of her young grandchildren were asleep in a separate bedroom. Alvarado said she owned the gun for protection and kept it in a secure place, away from view on a high shelf. "You always have some regret," she said. "You also feel that people have to be responsible if they're going to handle a weapon." Mark Valentine's father, also named Mark, said the teen, who had attended Stony Point High School, had never been in trouble with police. He had a good group of friends who didn't stir up trouble, his father said. "He was a big, friendly guy," the father said. "He didn't have an enemy in the world."
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:49:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By natez: [red] "He was a big, friendly guy," the father said. "He didn't have an enemy in the world."[/red]
View Quote
View Quote
Except himself.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:55:19 AM EDT
Guns and Rap music don't mix. Big, friendly, drunk and stupid.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:55:56 AM EDT
sad death. but a clear example of Darwin's theory at work.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:13:22 AM EDT
They shot the TV first, so it wasn't the first ND of the evening.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:17:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By natez: They shot the TV first, so it wasn't the first ND of the evening.
View Quote
I suppose it's the old LEO cynicism kicking in....but do you smell a rat on this one?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:19:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:40:50 AM EDT
Doublefeed: I love your sigline. I just started reading (more like slogging through) [i][u]Atlas Shrugged[/i][/u] and man, that quote's accurate. Ayn Rand never said anything simply when she could bludgeon you with it a few hundred times.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:51:59 AM EDT
..."He kept playing with it, and I told him to stop doing that, but he wouldn't," Duval said. "He said he knew what he was doing." He said Valentine knew the gun was loaded....
View Quote
Complacency and stupidity. Very Sad for the people involved. Even more sad, is that it's more numbers for the anti's. [:(]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:56:12 AM EDT
Let's look at the score, shall we? - Alcohol and guns - [s]Unsecured firearm[/s] LOADED, unsecured firearm! - Poor firearms training - poor firearms handling - Stupid guy(Duval) who does what his friends tell him to, no matter how stupid ("Hey, dude, go get the gun--I want to see it!" "Uh, okay!") - Dad who doesn't know what his son is doing--poor parenting!
Originally Posted By natez: They shot the TV first, so it wasn't the first ND of the evening.
View Quote
I may just be dense today, but where does it say that?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:11:02 PM EDT
woops too bad if he had an ounce of brain matter he wouldve realized you dont play with firearms after drinking. darwin scores again
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 2:03:04 PM EDT by natez]
Originally Posted By limaxray: They shot the TV first, so it wasn't the first ND of the evening.
View Quote
I may just be dense today, but where does it say that?
View Quote
It doesn't. Second hand info from folks I know.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:57:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:23:02 PM EDT
Who is John Galt? Did he accidentally shoot himself? -HS
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:20:12 PM EDT
They shot the TV first, so it wasn't the first ND of the evening Third hand info from some guy on message board.
Top Top