Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2007 1:58:26 AM EDT
New Port Richey, Florida — A teenager has been hospitalized with facial injuries caused when a bullet he found fired while held in a vice, the Pasco County Sheriff's Office reported Wednesday.

The victim, Alex Carman, 15, was taken to Bayfront Medical Center with injuries to the right upper cheek.

Investigators say the Riverridge H.S. student found a 380 bullet on the side of a road, brought it home and put it into a vice. He apparently struck the the primer end of the bullet with a metal screw, causing it to fire.

They say a 22-caliber bullet pierced with a screw was also found near the vice. On the ground was a hammer and a small pool of blood.

Investigators say it "appears Alex placed the bullet in the vice, hammered a screw into the primer causing the bullet to explode."

They say it appears to be an accidental injury. There were no charges.

www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=46159
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Stupid is as stupid does
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL you all are crazy. Those evil guns did it!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
shit like that happens every day...
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:10:00 AM EDT
[#4]

So which was it- a .22 or a .380?

we must ban vises and screws now!! do it for the children!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:27:09 AM EDT
[#5]
stupid hurts
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
repost
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:05:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
repost

link?

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#8]
you search for it... Trust me its there...
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Asshattery like this wouldn'thappen if guns weren't considered taboo ro kids. Supervised gun and ammo handling very likely could have avoided idiotic curiosity exhibited here.

That's the official answer. In real life, if he's that stupid, he's likely to find some other way to kill himself.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:10:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you search for it... Trust me its there...

can't call dupe without a link, sorry man. you'll learn that soon enough.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Asshattery like this wouldn'thappen if guns weren't considered taboo ro kids. Supervised gun and ammo handling very likely could have avoided idiotic curiosity exhibited here.

That's the official answer. In real life, if he's that stupid, he's likely to find some other way to kill himself.

I was under the impression that the general concensus was that ammo outside of a weapon was not dangerous, even when triggered?  No compression of the force to drive the bullet in a particular direction.  Or was this literally dumb luck for the kid?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was under the impression that the general concensus was that ammo outside of a weapon was not dangerous, even when triggered?  No compression of the force to drive the bullet in a particular direction.  Or was this literally dumb luck for the kid?
I thought that too.  The gases have to be able to be kept in a confined area so that pressure builds up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:40:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Except this time...  NO GUN!

But if we banned the guns, there'd be no bullets!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:45:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Except this time...  NO GUN!

No way! I can't believe it! People get hurt even WITHOUT guns?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because the bullet did not have a chamber to contain pressure and give it direction doesn't mean the round could not explode. The powder explosion would have resulted in many case fragments being blown in every direction.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
repost

Can't call a dupe when you have 94 posts and joined this past month
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Investigators say the Riverridge H.S. student found a 380 bullet on the side of a road, brought it home and put it into a vice. He apparently struck the the primer end of the bullet with a metal screw, causing it to fire.

You can't fix stupid.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Natural selection at work.

Hope he has a nice scar to remind him.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
repost

link?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/soccerwrong.jpg

That is frikin hilarious!!

But, sorry to say, DUPE!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=531437

All I searched was "FACE" from 7 days ago.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that the general concensus was that ammo outside of a weapon was not dangerous, even when triggered?

Who told you that? The bullet still has gunpowder in it, which in and of itself is dangerous even in small quantities found in an individual round if you do something stupid.

No compression of the force to drive the bullet in a particular direction.  Or was this literally dumb luck for the kid?

When a bullet fires from a gun, the brass casing expands to release the bullet. The casing itself is supported by the chamber, meaning it cannot expand any further because it is being held together by the chamber. Thus the path of least resistance for the hot gas to escape is by pushing the bullet down the barrel.

If you remove a cartridge from the barrel and leave it completely unsupported, the path of least resistance will be to rupture the case. Pieces of the brass case and hot gas can still escape from the round at high velocity and do some damage.

In this instance the kid had the cartridge in a vise...that may have been enough resistance to cause the gas to escape by pushing the bullet, or it could have simply directed a rupture of the casing on a side of the cartridge that wasn't being gripped by the vise. If the bullet was pushed by this, I doubt it was traveling at full velocity...but apparently it was still moving at a good enough clip to do some damage.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Worst I have ever seen was a kid hitting blasting caps with a hammer.

That one took some stitches to fix.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Somehow, I can't muster up any sympathy for someone this stupid.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Just because the bullet did not have a chamber to contain pressure and give it direction doesn't mean the round could not explode. The powder explosion would have resulted in many case fragments being blown in every direction.

Precisely.

If a cartridge is "fired" without being in a barrel, the path of least resistance for the expanding gases inside the cartridge is often to rupture the wall of the case itself rather than to push the bullet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#25]
So a scratch on the cheek from a case fragment = shot in the face?

Bit melodramatic....

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Was it a pre-ban or a post-ban vise?  The pre-bans have flash hiders and bayo lugs and that makes them far more likely to cause facial injuries.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#27]
"You'll put your eye out kid"

Yeah, I know, not a BB gun put it still kinda fits.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had a round explode in front of me, set off by an ejected casing from a Beretta.  I ended up needing a few stitches in my left forearm from shell shrapnel.  The actual bullet hit me in the wrist and left a gigantic bruise (puffed out about 1/2 inch).

The bullet will definitely not be launched at the velocity it would have from a barrel, but "stuff" will be sent out in every direction and if you are close you're likely to catch something that will break the skin.  I seriously doubt the possibility of sustaining a life-threatening injury exists though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So a scratch on the cheek from a case fragment = shot in the face?

Bit melodramatic....

Do you really hink the media is capable/willing to actually get the facts?  If a goodly number of ARFCOMmers dont know what happens when a primer gets tripped outside of a weapon why would you think your average reporter would know?

and..

New Port Richey, Florida — A teenager has been hospitalized with facial injuries caused when a bullet he found fired while held in a vice, the Pasco County Sheriff's Office reported Wednesday.

I do notice that the only time 'shot' was implied was in the thread title.  the article only says facial injuries were sustained...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top