Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2006 9:49:48 PM EDT

Just got back from training on this new Sub Zero refrigerator tonight. this this is simply AMAZING

This refrigerator has so many features on it, it just blows your mind.

1. It has a Sabbath mode where you can tell the refrigerator to deactivate the lights for the people who cannot turn on lights on the Sabbath

2. It can test itself an all its components and tell you what the problem pretty much is

3. It records the temperature for 14 days, so if the customer says two days ago, ice cream melted you can recall the temperature and it will tell you if the door was left open

4. It has a built in clock like an odometer, tells you how many days, hours and minutes the unit was running, VERY helpful when a customer tells you that the unit is under warranty when you can show them that it was running for 3 years.

5. Tells you how many times the door has been opened

6. Tells you average usage of the ice production

7. Has over 99 fault codes that are displayed should a fault arise... customer just says what the fault code is and we can come out with that part.

8. Ever have an icemaker overflow? This one has NOT ONLY a fault code for that BUT will disable the icemaker if the water valve is energized longer than normal... Helps protect wood floors.

9. Error history. It will record up to 20 fault codes at a time. So if there is more than 1 or 2 or 4 failures, it records them all for us to see what is wrong.

10. Filter timer... gives you a one year time for your filter.... sends you a reminder that it is time to change and the clock keeps running.... so if the customer says "OH that light JUST turned on, you program up the timer and see how long that filter has been on the unit.

This is just a friggin AWESOME unit.... Ready to get some sticker shock??

ONLY $12,000.00

What is even scarier... they cannot make these units fast enough... they are backlogged with orders. Distributor said "EVEN IF we got NO new orders, we wouldnt be able to hold on to them until the end of the summer"

so someone is buying them.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good. Ill take 2.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I want one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
And to think only 60 years ago they were lugging blocks of ice to your home to keep food cool.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of those I store beer in out in the garage.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks good. Ill take 2.  

Hey dont laugh... Im sure there are people that are taking 2.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I have some interesting customers. Today's "doozie" was a customer with a kitchen that was to die for... top of the line appliances. But NEVER USED.

apparantly she didnt like the smell of food cooking in her home so she had a small house built right outside, next to the Olympic size pool that was a super full size kitchen. When she had a party, she had the caterers cook out there just so her house wouldnt smell of food.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
So how energy efficent is it?

Electricity is getting expensive these days.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#8]
So, they put a $17 computer processor in it, $20 worth if RAM, and a couple if I/O devices for a toal cost of maybe $75 and you go ape shit over that?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
If my wife seen that she would want it, like right now
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#10]

she had a small house built right outside, next to the Olympic size pool that was a super full size kitchen.

A friend of mine did that for his wife.  Their new house does not have a kitchen!  The neat thing though is there's a garage door in the kitchen that opens up to the pool.  It's very nice for parties.z
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow.
I guess being a frige repairman will be like being a mechanic soon.
Just plug it into a computer and let that do all the work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wow.

If that's the case, soon after, the only people who will have access to the testing meter are certified Sub Zero techs, who are prohibited from servicing any other model.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]
How energy efficient is it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wow.

Its getting that way... when I started in this business you had no choice but to fix all brands and KNOW them all... Now it is more specialized so I dont work on other brands anymore.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Pfff... it doesn't use energy! It's makes it's own and even powers this rooom! *BUUURRRZZZZZ*
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Does it have a feature that reminds you when beer is running low? if not then what good is it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
And to think only 60 years ago they were lugging blocks of ice to your home to keep food cool.

And it worked.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

To put things in perspective, we put a man on tghe moon just 66 years after the Wright Brother's first flight.  With that in mind, I have to agree with HarrySacz - except not only should it keep track of my beer consumption, it should automatically replenish beer /food.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Forgive me since my age is starting to show and I am not remembering the company that was developing this technology but you know the scanners in the supermarket that reads the UPC codes for the price? Well, one company was develpong a refrigerator with that technology so when you take food out of the refrigerator, it scans it. When you are ready to go to the supermarket, you hit "PRINT" and a receipt prints out from the refrigerator and "VOILA" you have your shopping list.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#20]
looks a little TOOO complicated.  You know, when you take your car to the mechanic and they hook it up to the computer.  The computer says that nothing is wrong with your car, but you DID have to tow it there, so obviously something ain't right.

This looks like the same kinda philosophy
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#21]
That will go nicely with the $5300 Toto toilet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Forgive me since my age is starting to show and I am not remembering the company that was developing this technology but you know the scanners in the supermarket that reads the UPC codes for the price? Well, one company was develpong a refrigerator with that technology so when you take food out of the refrigerator, it scans it. When you are ready to go to the supermarket, you hit "PRINT" and a receipt prints out from the refrigerator and "VOILA" you have your shopping list.

Actually, I believe it is going to be internet capable and will order your food for you over the internet.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#24]
That's awesome.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That is the beauty of it... It has "Variable Speed" Compressors. Need it colder? Speed the compressor up. cold enough, slow it down... You dont have that "START STOP START STOP START STOP ' Which eats up energy and wears the compressor down.

The condenser fan motor does not run until the condenser reaches a certain temp so that saves energy.

Uses low voltage lighting.

It uses freon from the condenser around the door instead of electric heaters... saves energy

It uses freon from the condenser in the drain pan rather than electric heaters... saves energy

Reading the energy guide, it says $58.00/689kWh based on 8.29 a kilowatt hour
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
looks a little TOOO complicated.  You know, when you take your car to the mechanic and they hook it up to the computer.  The computer says that nothing is wrong with your car, but you DID have to tow it there, so obviously something ain't right.

this is better though... it records problems from leaving a door open to compressor failure and temperature readings. The technology has been out with Sub Zero for 8 years. Has been very accurate. I have confirmed many customer complaints even though the unit was working great at the time of the service call.

I think that there are more failures that can go on a car so I can see why they cannot find the issue.

BTW, they are working on wireless diagnostics now was well. So if the refrigerator is failing, the factory is alerted and they make a call...

... HOW do you like that one... the company calls YOU for service?

Their wine coolers are already wired for house alarm systems SHOULD the temps rise to a bad level, the house alarm will notify the consumer.

Can you see that... customer is not home. alarm goes off, Armed Police show up... shoot the wine cooler.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#27]
nice.... here's hoping the wifey will never see this thread or know anything of it......

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Can you order direct from Subzero?  I need a new fridge.

I can.... but I would charge you double because you put a "D" in FRIGE!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
nice.... here's hoping the wifey will never see this thread or know anything of it......

Yeah, I got a call last night from one of the Team Members here... first words out of his mouth were "IF MY WIFE EVER SAW THAT FRIDGE SHE WOULD WANT ONE!"
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yeah, I got a call last night from one of the Team Members here... first words out of his mouth were "IF MY WIFE EVER SAW THAT FRIDGE SHE WOULD WANT ONE!"

LOL.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow.

If that's the case, soon after, the only people who will have access to the testing meter are certified Sub Zero techs, who are prohibited from servicing any other model.

At which point some of us will start hauling blocks of ice into the house to keep our food cool.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Does it automatically call the Department of Homeland Security when when the stuff in the container you forgot about reaches weapons grade status?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Does it have an ethernet port so that you can remote into it or so that it can "call home" when it senses a problem?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#34]
How much does this guy charge?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You know, the C5A Galaxy heavy lift transport operated by the USAF incorperated a self monitoring/diagnosing system installed to assist maintenance personelle. In practice, as the aircraft aged the monitoring/diagnosing system was more likely to be at fault than the installed equipment it was meant to monitor. In civilian aircraft, I know from experience that the retractable landing gear of small aircraft is more likely to have a failure of the gear warning lights and horns than of the landing gear mechanisms themselves. Microswitches are fragile, hinges motors are not.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#36]
That's quite a nice frige!

I don't see paying 12K for it though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't see an ice dispenser. Tell me you have to open a door and reach in after paying 12 grand?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Doesn't it also use less power than a 100W lightbulb?  I believe I read about it in Wired and it was the most energy effeient refrigerator ever produced by like a factor of 10.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yeah, I have some interesting customers. Today's "doozie" was a customer with a kitchen that was to die for... top of the line appliances. But NEVER USED.

apparantly she didnt like the smell of food cooking in her home so she had a small house built right outside, next to the Olympic size pool that was a super full size kitchen. When she had a party, she had the caterers cook out there just so her house wouldnt smell of food.

Did she ask you to wipe your feet before you entered her house?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Does it make sammiches?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#41]
O.K.  Does it keep my food colder better than my $1000 frige?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
[1. It has a Sabbath mode where you can tell the refrigerator to deactivate the lights for the people who cannot turn on lights on the Sabbath

Does it lock out the ham drawer, as well?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So, they put a $17 computer processor in it, $20 worth if RAM, and a couple if I/O devices for a toal cost of maybe $75 and you go ape shit over that?

Probably a $5.00 ASIC covers the whole change and an additional $3 for sensors...

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm surprised it doesn't have some alarms for the door being left open etc. (or a bad seal).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#45]
It sound cool until you got the the price.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#46]
I wish I could spend 12Gs on a refrigerator.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Does it automatically call the Department of Homeland Security when when the stuff in the container you forgot about reaches weapons grade status?

Now THAT is funny... I can tell you stories of what happens to food left in there too long

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
O.K.  Does it keep my food colder better than my $1000 frige?

No but it keeps the food fresher longer... We have a Sub Zero (Relax, I didnt buy it, it was given to me... I cant afford one of those on what I make) and ours is the smaller one. Lemons, apples, oranges stay fresh for a REALLY long time
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I don't see an ice dispenser. Tell me you have to open a door and reach in after paying 12 grand?

No... just roll the bottom drawer out... the bottom left hand drawer is JUST for ice... thats a lot of ice!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm surprised it doesn't have some alarms for the door being left open etc. (or a bad seal).

It has that too... DAMN too many things to remember!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top