Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 8:42:01 AM EDT
[url]http://www.sltrib.com/2003/jun/06252003/utah/69718.asp[/url]
Teachers get preliminary OK to carry weapons

The Jordan School Board gave preliminary approval Tuesday to a policy outlining the conditions under which district employees may carry a concealed weapon on school property with a valid permit.
   Employees must keep the weapon concealed and employees who legally use a concealed weapon on school grounds do so in their individual capacities, not their scope of employment.
   The Jordan board will formally vote on the policy at its July 16 meeting.
   Both policies are in response to a law passed during the 2003 legislative session, Senate Bill 108, that harmonized conflicting parts of state code. One section allowed concealed weapons on school campuses, while another prohibited it.
   Also Tuesday, the board agreed to consider a policy that would not allow student travel overseas, to Canada or to Mexico unless a principal can demonstrate "the absolute necessity of the travel and that all appropriate safety considerations have been addressed."
   "I would hate to see students lose an opportunity because the policy is so rigid," said David Stoddard, the district's administrator who wrote the policy.
   The travel policy also will be up for a formal vote at the July 16 meeting.
   -- Ronnie Lynn

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I posted this a day or two ago.

It isn't illegal under Federal Law. Courts ruled in a Texas case if I recall. Gov't had no jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
See what you guys can make out of this,
[url]http://www.nraila.org/FactSheets.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=62[/url]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, this is the big gun controversy out here right now. It stems from the University of Utah trying to say that it has the right, as a legal entity to restrict CCW holders from carrying on campus, but the AG put the smack down on that. The question shifted to local school districts and whether or not they should provide insurance coverage to those that may use their CCW while at school. Basically, it is a question of insurability and if the UEA/NEA can muscle out the rule of law.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Utah would be such a cool place if it weren't for all the.........
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
My mom is a high school teacher

Im buying her her first handgun soon, she will then get a CCW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top