Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 3:46:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 4:13:31 PM EDT by Lomshek]
I heard it on NPR and they don't lie!

...the researchers got two sets of math test scores. One set of scores were given by the classroom teachers, who obviously knew the children whom they were grading. The second set of scores were from external teachers who did not know if the children they were grading were either boys or girls. So the external teachers were blind to the gender of the children...

...find that the classroom teachers tend to give the girls lower grades in math than the external teachers, and they give the boys higher grades.
View Quote

The listener comments are running about 80% bashing the story for shoddy reporting.  This groundbreaking study is so awesome that NPR didn't link to it and you have to pay to read it.

One comment
The "biased" and "unbiased" scorers were not grading the same exam (as pointed out by Rational Discourse). Also, there is no detail as to what questions were in each exam or whether the students were required to show their work in arriving at each answer.
View Quote

ETA - Study was on 6th graders.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:49:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 3:50:41 PM EDT by WrenchBender]
Either 2 + 2 = 4 or it doesn't!

Did they say what they were marking people down for?  Showing your work?  Partial credit?

Will the mathematicians in here please let me know, am I crazy?  Either an equation is correct or its not, right?

Edited for language, having a bad day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:49:31 PM EDT
should shed some insight why men are better deal makers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:52:49 PM EDT
I know the math is shoddy when I hear "I've only been with 2 or 3 other guys".
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 3:56:20 PM EDT by CROQ]
Nope, aint gonna do it.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:05:50 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WrenchBender:

Did they say what they were marking people down for?  Showing your work?  Partial credit?

Will the mathematicians in here please let me know, am I crazy?  Either an equation is correct or its not, right?

View Quote

Didn't listen to the report because of the "shoddy reporting" comments, so I don't know what level math we are talking about here -- any form of math from algebra or higher you will be graded on the work process, so much so that the wrong answer due to an arithmetic error will not detract as much as the wrong answer from a logic error.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:09:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WhyTanFox:

Didn't listen to the report because of the "shoddy reporting" comments, so I don't know what level math we are talking about here -- any form of math from algebra or higher you will be graded on the work process, so much so that the wrong answer due to an arithmetic error will not detract as much as the wrong answer from a logic error.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Seriously, thank you for the clarification.  Never took any college level math.  I figured it would have to be something like that but it said "children".  I wasn't picturing Trig or Calculus, though I guess it could be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:12:39 PM EDT

View All Quotes

yes partial credit is normally awarded, but In calc and stats I never had points deducted for partial work and the correct answer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:13:06 PM EDT

Seriously, thank you for the clarification.  Never took any college level math.  I figured it would have to be something like that but it said "children".  I wasn't picturing Trig or Calculus, though I guess it could be.
View All Quotes

Study was on 6th graders.  Not exactly doing calc at that age.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:16:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

Could be doing algebra.

It is more important that you grok the Distributive Property and somewhat forgivable if you have a brain fart and calculate 3 + 3 = 9.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:17:39 PM EDT
Oh look the entire "study" was from a single school system in Tel Aviv, I'm sure that's a representative sample of the entire world.

Why we fall for bogus research
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-08-31/why-we-fall-for-bogus-research
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:20:15 PM EDT
OK, the transcript was a very short read and the comments are really telling.

In short, what was described by NPR was not how the study was actually conducted, and the study itself has fundamental flaws.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:24:44 PM EDT
The other problem I had with it is that it started following the kids in the 6th grade, which is when girls start doing worse.  But in the lead-in it talked about how girls do better than boys in grade school.  the researchers seemed to assume that the grade school performance was the desired outcome, and the falloff in girls scores was the only problem, NOT why boys do shitty in grade school to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:51:06 PM EDT
Do you need math to make a sammich?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:53:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LSUTigersFan:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LSUTigersFan:

you need algebra!

"If you had 5 people and each person wanted a sandwich with .5 lb of meat per sandwhich, how many pounds of meat would you need?"

Top Top