BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/6/2010 7:16:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The teenagers stated they were leaving and, as they traveled down Shipley Cemetery Road towards Shipley Hollow Road, they came in contact with Swallows, who parked his vehicle in the roadway blocking their travel.

He displayed a rifle, pointed it at them and instructed them to stay where
they were until police arrived.

Yeah, that's a free trip to jail there dumbass.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#3]
They spooked the teacher but his spirited response was a lesson plan the BooBoo PooPoo laid to rest.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Uhh yea.. we'll wait till the police arrive and take you, IDIOT

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Lesson Learned? Better to just shoot from a hill top.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]

With a name like Stacy Swallows he should be very popular in prison.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#8]
The guy's name is Stacy Swallows.

Damn it. Too late again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#9]
What as me wondering was it his property or was he just driving by.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Stacy Swallows

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#11]
First off, 16-19 'ghost hunting' is usually an alibi for vandalism/theft/mischief in my experience

If this was private property, I have no problems with the story, assuming no shots were fired.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking, and if it was a family cemetary? Maybe his wifes family?
Would make more sense.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First off, 16-19 'ghost hunting' is usually an alibi for vandalism/theft/mischief in my experience

If this was private property, I have no problems with the story, assuming no shots were fired.

The Ghostly Apparition of Shipley Hollow

As you travel north on US Highway 27 from Chattanooga heading towards Dayton, TN, you will cross through a small community known as Sale Creek. Sale Creek is located in northern Hamilton County, not far from the Rhea County line. If you look off to the right side of the highway (coming north, to the left if you're going south), you will see a back road named Daugherty Ferry Road. Follow this road, and you enter Shipley Hollow and find much lovely countryside. Shipley Hollow is a quaint little community on the banks of Sale Creek that has changed little over the years. Aside from farmland and forests, you might also find a ghost!

The glowing white apparition which inhabits Shipley Hollow has been reported since the late 1800s. In those days, the ghost was known to hitch a ride on the back of carriages. Since carriages have now given way to automobiles, sightings have been less frequent, but they still occur. The spirit is most commonly seen along Daugherty Ferry Road or Shipley Hollow Road. Just off Shipley Hollow Road is Shipley Cemetery, a very old and historic cemetery. Many  believe the ghost originates from there. Shipley Cemetery is full of ancient rocks and unmarked graves, and it is difficult to estimate how many people are buried there. Perhaps the apparition is that of someone buried there who is now long forgotten.

If that is the case, the ghost is known to wander away from the cemetery. The ghost is also seen near an old mill located in the area. The idea that it might be someone hanging around the mill is implausible, since mosquitos keep everyone away from Sale Creek! Those who claim to have seen it say that it is a trademark ghost: glowing, and can be seen through. A ghost with a history of over a hundred years is difficult to determine who it might be. Perhaps it isn't buried in Shipley Cemetery at all, but in a long forgotten grave along the side of the road. Being so forgotten might drive a spirit to try to make people remember who it was during life.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Stacy Farrell Swallows, 45, of 920 Shipley Cemetery Road

Well, if I had to guess...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The teenagers stated they were leaving and, as they traveled down Shipley Cemetery Road towards Shipley Hollow Road, they came in contact with Swallows, who parked his vehicle in the roadway blocking their travel.

He displayed a rifle, pointed it at them and instructed them to stay where they were until police arrived.

Yea, only the police can hold you at gunpoint for no reason...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

He displayed a rifle, pointed it at them and instructed them to stay where they were until police arrived.

And.... off we go!!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Ghostly Apparition of Shipley Hollow

As you travel north on US Highway 27 from Chattanooga heading towards Dayton, TN, you will cross through a small community known as Sale Creek. Sale Creek is located in northern Hamilton County, not far from the Rhea County line. If you look off to the right side of the highway (coming north, to the left if you're going south), you will see a back road named Daugherty Ferry Road. Follow this road, and you enter Shipley Hollow and find much lovely countryside. Shipley Hollow is a quaint little community on the banks of Sale Creek that has changed little over the years. Aside from farmland and forests, you might also find a ghost!

The glowing white apparition which inhabits Shipley Hollow has been reported since the late 1800s. In those days, the ghost was known to hitch a ride on the back of carriages. Since carriages have now given way to automobiles, sightings have been less frequent, but they still occur. The spirit is most commonly seen along Daugherty Ferry Road or Shipley Hollow Road. Just off Shipley Hollow Road is Shipley Cemetery, a very old and historic cemetery. Many  believe the ghost originates from there. Shipley Cemetery is full of ancient rocks and unmarked graves, and it is difficult to estimate how many people are buried there. Perhaps the apparition is that of someone buried there who is now long forgotten.

If that is the case, the ghost is known to wander away from the cemetery. The ghost is also seen near an old mill located in the area. The idea that it might be someone hanging around the mill is implausible, since mosquitos keep everyone away from Sale Creek! Those who claim to have seen it say that it is a trademark ghost: glowing, and can be seen through. A ghost with a history of over a hundred years is difficult to determine who it might be. Perhaps it isn't buried in Shipley Cemetery at all, but in a long forgotten grave along the side of the road. Being so forgotten might drive a spirit to try to make people remember who it was during life.

Oh I've seen and heard the stories.... of course everything you read on the internet is true.

But, they can break into your buildings, tear up stuff, bust windows, knock over family gravestones, etc.

Other common alibis are "we're out looking for our dog"  or "my car broke down, but it always starts up again when they try and get away."

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#19]
a group of eight children

Since when are 16-19 yr olds driving cars considered a group of eight children?  

These were punks that were getting ready to vandalize a cemetary and got caught.

That's a great story about ghosts, and were just on the way out and such and "children" and such.

I guess times have really changed.  I interrupted a christian church vandalism and robbery in progress by some punks several years back.
One of the group fled on foot and I put a round in the dirt behind him.  The others fled in a getaway car.  I chased and ran the perp up a blind alley.  Held them in the car with hands on wheel and dash, with barrel up their nose until cops arrived.   Gave them the "dirty harry" speech to settle them down.  

Cops took them away, said they were on the way to pick up the perp on foot, and gave me my gun back within the hour, told me to be careful.
Of course there was evidence of forced entry for them to see.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#20]
There has to be more to this story...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

These were punks that were getting ready to vandalize a cemetery and got caught.

That's a great story about ghosts, and were just on the way out and such and "children" and such.

I guess times have really changed.  I interrupted a christian church vandalism and robbery in progress by some punks several years back.

One of the group fled on foot and I put a round in the dirt behind him.  The others fled in a getaway car.  I chased and ran the perp up a blind alley.  Held them in the car with hands on wheel and dash, with barrel up their nose until cops arrived.   Gave them the "dirty harry" speech to settle them down.  

Cops took them away, said they were on the way to pick up the perp on foot, and gave me my gun back within the hour, told me to be careful.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#22]
For the children we should execute those idiots who do it on TV
Leads to situations like this.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

These were punks that were getting ready to vandalize a cemetary and got caught.

It said they had already left when they were intercepted by teacher... I'm sure the police checked for vandalism and such, being they had left the scene already, wheres the logic?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

lolz

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Screen name?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#27]
so guy lives on the road and OLDER Teens, 16 is a bit long in the tooth to be called "children" and they do NOT belong on PRivate property after dark, period
is Mr Swollows the overseer/church member/Keeper of said cemetery?
is there a history of vandalism of the cemetery?

too many questions for this guy to be charged, with what may be just doing his job...

and police buy the story of a group of teens, in a cemetery, after dark, over a supposed free citizen defending property held by him, or his church or his family?

does Swollows have a history of violence? Is Mr Swollows a criminal? Felon? wanted in suspicion of something..

sounds like a bordering on the Castle Doctrine to me...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

so guy lives on the road and OLDER Teens, 16 is a bit long in the tooth to be called "children" and they do NOT belong on PRivate property after dark, period

too many questions for this guy to be charged, with what may be just doing his job...

and police buy the story of a group of teens, in a cemetery, after dark, over a supposed free citizen defending property held by him, or his church or his family?

does Swollows have a history of violence? Is Mr Swollows a criminal? Felon? wanted in suspicion of something..

My bet is one of the "children" is a child of a cop/mayor/prominent community person......  dealt with that before...  

Sometimes politics gets in the way of justice if an important persons kid does something bad.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Possibly, but how do we know it's private property?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Possibly, but how do we know it's private property?  

Also if they had past problems with vandals.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well at least you got it PART right.

So what WAS the reason that shots were fired and a guy was holding a group of teens at gunpoint?

Oh yeah - the guy thought he was Dirty Rambo.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#32]
mattfoley is on point in this discussion.  Exactly what I was thinking when I first clicked on the thread, and confirmed the more I read...  I wonder how things will turn out for the dude.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There is no such thing as a warning shot. If you shoot at someone when your life or the lives of others aren't in danger, you're in the wrong. How you were let off I have no idea. Vandalism is not justification for deadly force, especially if they are running away.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why would you want to shoot kids in a grave yard?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Stacy Swallows

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Dumbass
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Need more info.  

I wonder if any of the "kids" was related to anyone in the town, or if swallows has a history of acting loony.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no such thing as a warning shot. If you shoot at someone when your life or the lives of others aren't in danger, you're in the wrong. How you were let off I have no idea. Vandalism is not justification for deadly force, especially if they are running away.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Agreed.

Back in the days before cell phones, we fired two shots in the air as a signal for those back home to call the cops.    

Since the advent of cheap cell phones.... this shouldn't be any more.

I do wonder if shots were actually fired.

The article states that the accused was the complaintant.  I am curious if it was dispatched incorrectly... of course that hardly ever happens

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Full retard.

He went it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Idiot.

It's not his job to play police officer. He way overreacted to a simple case of criminal trespass.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For the children we should execute those idiots who do it on TV

Leads to situations like this.....

Of course the guys on TV get permission first, which makes all the difference in the world. (yeah, I know it was sarcasm, but hey......)

I am interested to hear if the kids will be facing criminal trespass charges. No way was the cemetery still open that late.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's some rocket science right there.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why, do cops usually point their guns at trespassers?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Teacher Charged With Holding Assault Rifle On "Ghost Hunting" Children
Swallows Facing 8 Counts Of Aggravated Assault, False Imprisonment

posted September 5, 2010

A Sequoyah School teacher is facing charges after he allegedly held a gun on a group of eight children who were "ghost hunting" in a cemetery, sheriff officials said.

Stacy Farrell Swallows, 45, of 920 Shipley Cemetery Road, was charged with nine counts of aggravated assault and nine counts of false imprisonment, according to jail records.

He was taken to the Hamilton County Jail after the late-night incident.

Authorities said on Saturday at 10:42 p.m. sheriff's deputies were dispatched to Shipley Hollow Road at Shipley Cemetery Road in reference to a shots fired call. While en route deputies were advised that the complainant had several people held at gunpoint awaiting the arrival of responding deputies.

Upon arrival, deputies found a man, later identified as Stacy Swallows, armed with an assault rifle. He told officers where he had lated the AR-15 rifle on the ground. Deputies secured the weapon and began to investigate.

There were three vehicles blocked by the Swallows truck.

Deputies interviewed numerous teenagers (ages 16=19). All teenagers gave written statements advising that they had gone to the cemetery to follow up on a ghost story that they read about on an Internet website concerning the Shipley Cemetery.

One said he was screaming at them.
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_183409.asp

Anyone else notice that it appears the guy who called in the shots fired was also the guy with the rifle?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Wow, that reporter needs to go back to high school English class.  What the hell is wrong with him?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#46]
never get caught lated your weapon down.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Imagine being in a creepy cemetary at night and having a ghost with an AR15 block the entrance...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you want to shoot kids in a grave yard?

Well, save on transportation costs later and will create some new ghosts...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#50]
One of these days LEO's teachers are going to ask themselves,

"why is it that the law enforcement education/teacher supporting, conservative, republican, law abiding types all the sudden don't respect us anymore?????"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top