Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2017 6:27:56 PM EDT
Namely, is it possibly to find a clean one with its original steering wheel for a sane price? Seriously, I've searched Craigslist and eBay and have only found "souped up" and salvage title cars...

I don't mind a project, but when I need to bring my own wheels and engine and they still want $5K that's a bit much.

Also, what's the best year for an S14?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Never gonna happen.

Move to a different project
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#2]
You mean the early 90's college girl's car that somehow became all the rage with people who spend thousands of dollars on them yet still can't get them to equal the performance of a 80's V6 camaro?

I laugh at Miatas but at least they serve a purpose. Anyone that modify a 240SX needs to find another hobby.  I mean shit if you are gonna do a 90's Nissan why the fuck would you not do a 300ZX?

Stop playing Grand Turismo, it's not real.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Never played Grand Turismo, is it good?

And because after I use it to learn how to drive stick... Rocket Bunny Boss Kit

Except at normal ride height and mostly stock parts. I don't want to drag or race, just want something a little sporty looking and affordable with airbags.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, if an S14 is unobtainable, what are some alternatives?

I've been also thinking about a Datsun 280, BMW E34, and an FJ60. I'm looking for that old school vibe, and trying to keep the initial purchase under $5K. I liked the S14 because it's a much newer car than the others, yet would still be fun to drive on weekends.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Miata.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Miata.
View Quote
It's just so small and seems underwhelming. Doesn't feel like a car that someone looks twice at.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You mean the early 90's college girl's car that somehow became all the rage with people who spend thousands of dollars on them yet still can't get them to equal the performance of a 80's V6 camaro?

I laugh at Miatas but at least they serve a purpose. Anyone that modify a 240SX needs to find another hobby.  I mean shit if you are gonna do a 90's Nissan why the fuck would you not do a 300ZX?

Stop playing Grand Turismo, it's not real.
View Quote
Why not a 300zx?

About 1000lbs

Those cars are extremely porky the SX is of a more direct lineage to the non "x" z car
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's just so small and seems underwhelming. Doesn't feel like a car that someone looks twice at.
View Quote
That's the problem. You're looking for a cheap 5-spd car that "looks cool" and hasn't been riced out or had the ever-loving shit beat out of it by string of F&F wannabees.

Good luck. Anything inexpensive that would appeal to a teenager, is going to be all fucked up unless you shell out the $$$$$ for an adult owned, immaculate, time-capsule kind of car...and those are as rare as hen's teeth.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why not a 300zx?

About 1000lbs

Those cars are extremely porky the SX is of a more direct lineage to the non "x" z car
View Quote
They were definitely over engineered, that's for sure. You can ditch some weight pretty easy with all the extras you don't need like the HICAS (biggest offender), spare tire, antenna, rear windshield wiper and motor, etc.

Then you can get more in depth for stuff on the engine side. The lightened crankshaft pulley and flywheel save like 25lbs IIRC.

If you wanted to really lose the creature comforts, you might be able to go to 2800. 3000-3100 is doable though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wait, the *Miata* is underwhelming, and you're shopping S14 240SXes?  The bland wannabe-sports-car powered by a dumpy family sedan engine that virtually nobody bought while it was on the market simply because it wasn't very good?  I'm pretty sure BMW sold ten times as many E36es. There's good reason for that... and an E36 would be cheaper by far at this point, even for a really, really nice one.  

I'd actually suggest the far superior Honda Prelude of the era, but if you think an S14 is hard to find in good shape, the Prelude might not be too much easier, I fear.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm with the op. Mazda has taken the two seat sports car and refined it to such a degree of beige that I don't even see them anymore. They're basically a Toyota Camry for dudes having a mid life crisis.

Mazda could do so much better by the platform by ditching the chick car convertible requirement and making a real hardtop or even better shooting brake or heaven forbid a longer wheelbase 4 door version. I'd be all over that, think Rx8 that isn't a piece of shit

But alas no. Chick car chick car mid life crisis  is the only market Mazda wants out of the architecture

Op have you considered a classic air cooled VW? They're fun, easy to wrench on can be made to handle quite well are widely available non thrashed and ALWAYS get noticed
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Rx8. Ask me anything about them, I've had 2. Great fun cars
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
If I wasn't about to buy a G37 Sedan 6MT, I found a clean IS300 MT for $7K.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#14]
S14? You're better than that OP. Have some proper, classy, old school fun. Datsun > Nissan

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]
You might as well open your search to Fox Bodies and later Camaros . I don't understand the Nissan lovefest , My friends son has blown his up twice .
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Never gonna happen.

Move to a different project
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Rx8. Ask me anything about them, I've had 2. Great fun cars
View Quote
Yes RX8 with an ls1
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
S14? You're better than that OP. Have some proper, classy, old school fun. Datsun > Nissan

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6d/c5/34/6dc534d2ae38ab2ee331f6a8ef37a417.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, actually not a Nissan fan at all. And that car looks sweet; I will be researching when I have the time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You might as well open your search to Fox Bodies and later Camaros . I don't understand the Nissan lovefest , My friends son has blown his up twice .
View Quote
Well I sit here and think about it. I'd want to do an LS swap, so maybe I should just find one for cheap that's been dogged out and go ahead with a heart transplant.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I expanded my Craigslist search to Miami today and found a boatload of riced out ones. I'm kinda leaning towards the option of buying one of those, parting out most of it, and then building it how I want.

Also found three one owner car but of course there were no pictures and minimal details.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I see lots of people saying a Miata is a chick car. I can tell who hasn't driven one vs who has.
A halfway descent driver in a Miata or something like an FRS/BRZ will eat BMWs or other "sports cars".
If you want a car to impress other guys, buy a mustang or Corvette.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I see lots of people saying a Miata is a chick car. I can tell who hasn't driven one vs who has.
A halfway descent driver in a Miata or something like an FRS/BRZ will eat BMWs or other "sports cars".
If you want a car to impress other guys, buy a mustang or Corvette.
View Quote
If we all had a race track that was paved 30 minutes from the house I could see your point. But the vast majority of this nation doesn't and on the street a Miata is a total unabashed Mitsubishi Eclipse grade chick car.

A new 4x4 crew cab z71 will take just about any curve in the land at twice the posted speed limit so please tell me again how The Miata's "knife edge" handling prowess applies to public roadways?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If we all had a race track that was paved 30 minutes from the house I could see your point. But the vast majority of this nation doesn't and on the street a Miata is a total unabashed Mitsubishi Eclipse grade chick car.

A new 4x4 crew cab z71 will take just about any curve in the land at twice the posted speed limit so please tell me again how The Miata's "knife edge" handling prowess applies to public roadways?
View Quote

my office faces a very busy intersection and every once in a whle a drag race will happen.  One last year involved a miata and damn I sorta felt bad for the owner.  So at the light is a SCCA'd out Miata decals and all and you could tell he thought he was hot shit as he's blipping the gas of his weed trimmer at the light.  Well the guy in the Dodge minivan next to him wasn't having any of that as he revved back signalling it was on.  You could tell the Miata guy was like "is he serious".  Well light goes green and that minivan complete with soccer mom and stick people family stickers waxed that miata I mean it was REALLY bad, a total ass kicking from zero to about 50mph.  This is why buying an imitation sports car is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Welp, small wrench thrown into my plans. Honestly have not decided to go with an S14 or a Datsun 280 or something else, but when I went to sell my current car yesterday the "guaranteed offer" I was given beforehand was all of a sudden $3K less. Some BS about market conditions. So until I can get my car sold I can't move forward with this purchase.

Super bummed, but I guess it does make me research more before I can pull the trigger on something.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is why buying an imitation sports car is a bad idea.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:10:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I had a V8 Monza back in the 90's. I used to pick on 240's often. Usually I was provoked though. They would pass me doing 80 or so. Then I would return the favor at triple digit and keep the hammer down long enough to let them know I had the bigger hammer.

They are a good looking car, but like you said, it is hard to find one not molested these days. Good luck. And never mind the nay sayers though. If it's what you want and you can find one why not? Certain cars are not the fastest, or best handling or whatever. But they are just fun to drive. My 601 Trabant comes to mind. But it was just a fun car to drive.(Once I got rid of the communist front seats) And the pic of the gray bunny car was cool. I liked the grill on it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#27]
R32 is what you seek.......

I'm also looking for an un-molested 240, 96-97. I've got an sr20 wrapped up just waiting.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top