BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2001 6:47:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for the citizens of Tenn!!!!  Way to go!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
now if we could get the same tax revolt started in washington.....
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! No state income tax and only a 6% sales tax. I goota get out of this state.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow! No state income tax and only a 6% sales tax. I goota get out of this state.
View Quote

Actually, our sales tax is 8.25%. Except certain items, like maybe foodstuffs (not sure about clothing), with special taxes on tobacco and ammo.

I was at the last anti-tax rally... Couldn't get to this one 'cause I was working late. It's been on the news a good bit. Traffic around the capitol building has been at a stand-still for some time, the Highway Patrol was called in to keep other cars from joining in. The governor's office was vandalized, and there were some windows broken, lots of chanting and horn honking, etc.

It reminds me of why I love this country, when I see people join together like this.

God Bless America.

Happy (tax revolt) hunting,
havoc
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My hats off to everyone in TN.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Hooray for TN!!! On my way to work tonight I was listing to a Nashville radio station and they were really encouraging(sp) people to go to the capital building and give'em hell. I wish I did'nt have to have gone to work, I might have driven down and gave my neighbors a hand.[uzi]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#9]
You know, it still amazes me that we have morons in this state who think that having one of the nations lowest tax rates is embarrassing.
It's like there's a contest among the states to see who can rape their citizens for the most tax revenue.  However, we could use a lottery.  It's up for a vote soon, and I think it will pass.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:45:10 AM EDT
[#10]
"However, we could use a lottery. It's up for a vote soon, and I think it will pass."

Oh yes, then you too can stand in line waiting to pay for your gas at the convenience store, while overweight women buy endless lotto tickets.

One of the "best" things ever thought up.  A Fool's Tax for sure.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#11]
As for the "Fool's Tax", I agree.  But, several hundred million dollars leave TN each year for states that have lotteries (especially [b]GA[/b] and KY).  At least our "Fools" won't have to drive so far to stand in line. [:)]  Personally, I use "pay-at-the-pump".
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow- it's nice to see citizens take an active role in their government.  [:D]

Actually, I'm confused with one thing.  [b]Sweep[/b] stated, [i]"When the hell are they[/i] [politicians] [i]going to get it through their heads that the citizens of Tenn don't want a state income tax?[/i]

Why haven't the citizens of Tennessee voted those politicians out of office so they don't keep having to have revolts?  [>:/]  It'd be a hell of a lot simpler.....

[u][b]EDITED TO NOTE THAT THE LINK IS DEAD![/b][/u]

Mike
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow- it's nice to see citizens take an active role in their government.  [:D]

Actually, I'm confused with one thing.  [b]Sweep[/b] stated, [i]"When the hell are they[/i] [politicians] [i]going to get it through their heads that the citizens of Tenn don't want a state income tax?[/i]

Why haven't the citizens of Tennessee voted those politicians out of office so they don't keep having to have revolts?  [>:/]  It'd be a hell of a lot simpler.....

Mike
View Quote

It's not easy to just vote someone out of the office they were elected to (See: Clinton, William J., FMR POTUS)

That said, our Governor, Donald Sundquist (R), campaigned on a platform that included the promise of not supporting a state income tax... And look at him now. Typical politician bullshit. His time will come, and we will remember!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#14]
havoc,

Have you noticed that both of the last TN govs,
McWherter and Sundquist were against a state income tax in their 1st term, but flipped [b]after[/b] being elected to their 2nd when they had nothing to lose?  
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
God bless you guys in TNN. I wish I could see this happen in NY. HAAAAAA. It will never happen here. I have chuckie and hillary as my Senators. What a joke this state is. God I have to get out of here.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#16]
and that commie that won't Pledge  Allegiance to the Flag
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's not easy to just vote someone out of the office they were elected to (See: Clinton, William J., FMR POTUS)

That said, our Governor, Donald Sundquist (R), campaigned on a platform that included the promise of not supporting a state income tax... And look at him now. Typical politician bullshit. His time will come, and we will remember!
View Quote

Right On Havoc...........

That is exactly what Sundquist did.... and don't even get me started on that fat bastard McWherter.  Amazing ain't it?

There is enough damn waste of revenue taken in on existing taxes without imposing a state income tax to solve the problems.

Let em' straighten out their own shit before they start messing with mine!

We will remember......................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top