BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2021 8:21:16 PM EDT
I have heard good things about both.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently got to shoot a tx22 with 9 round mag extensions.  Felt really good, accurate and a hoot to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both...and the Keltec P17.

Haven't even shot the 502 yet. Just picked it up yesterday.

I've shot my TX22 a bunch. Think I had one failure to feed in the first mag and nothing since then. I'd recommend them.

The TX22 also shoots great suppressed. The P17 seems to pepper my face with the blow back when the can is attached. I didn't notice that with the TX22.

I have a Std TX22, non optic cut.

If you want an optic cut, I'd probably go with the 502 just because I don't like how funky the optic model TX22 looks.

ETA: If you're in the DFW area, I can let you know that Shoot Point Blank in Lewisville had multiple 502's in stock. FDE and Black. Bought mine there Saturday.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the TX-22 with optic cut and shoot it suppressed almost exclusively with a red dot

It's my favorite .22.  Good thing it comes from factory with three mags as they aren't easy to find.  

As a Lefty, I don't experience any blow back that I notice. Highly recommend
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a FN 502(black) on backorder since 9-25-2021 through Euro Optic
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m very satisfied with my TX22.  It wears a can all the time.

I’m interested in the FN502, but I’ll probably just buy another TX22 for shared mags.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File
Tx22 with optic plate that goes in the rear sight dovetail.

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/450791/PXL_20211119_175224467_jpg-2193717.JPGTx22 with optic plate that goes in the rear sight dovetail.

View Quote

Huh. Didn't even know that was a thing.

Any cycling issues non-suppressed with the added weight?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Huh. Didn't even know that was a thing.

Any cycling issues non-suppressed with the added weight?
View Quote

Not a single issue. Lakeline makes the plate.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I really wish Glock would get off its ass and make a 10-15 rd Glock 43 sized .22.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve got the tx competition and yeah, it’s great. But I can’t shake the feeling that as a Taurus, it will shit the bed at some point. I’ll grab a 502 as soon as I see one but I’d probably do the same if the FN had have come out first and I had one of those, I’d be shopping for a tx
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Aaron likes his 502.

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Army buddy has nothing but praise for the TX22.

But, there was a roll pin in the slide backing
out when he showed it to me. Pointed it out
and was an easy fix.

Just sayin.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
My TX-22 has been great.  Highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the 502 new? I must of missed it.
eta.  Looks cool.  I'll put it on the list of things to get.

I have a TX-22.  Runs great.  I added a o-ring to the recoil spring to buffer the slide hitting the frame and causing slide cracking.

I also installed the lakeline optic plate with a Holosun 507k.
I havent shot it yet in that configuration.
It runs perfectly as of now.
No issues suppressed either.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The TX22 has been great for me, I liked my first one so much I bought two. I see no reason to add an FN. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a TX22 Competition and it’s a lot of fun with optic and can.  Just be careful not to ride the slide any.  It’s aluminum and will induce a failure.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish they would make their slides like Nelson Custom makes their 1911 conversions.
The sides of the slide move but not the top.
Optics mounts would be cake.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#18]
no experience with the FN, but the freaking TX22 is an amazing pistol.  Super reliable,  fits my hand perfect,  has shot absolutely SHIT ammo with no hiccups, it feels a LOT like my glock 19x, great suppressor host.   I want a couple more, my wife and kids love it. I have been using it for training to stop burning up so much 9mm
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought the competition model and plan on shooting it soon. Finally, a 22 handgun with over ten rounds and with a lighnin grip adapter support to speed up reloading. Included with the competition model: threaded barrel without an adapter to remove to get the slide off, three 16 round magazines and optic ready out of the box.

The aftermarket support makes it even better; +5 and + 9 magazine base plates, extended magazine release, better sights, trigger shoe and a tool steel firing pin.

The TX22 gun will be easier to clean than my Ruger 22/45 because shoot suppressed gums the action of the Ruger after a few hundred rounds and is a pain to clean carbon around the breach of barrel.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Took my 502 to the range today. It definitely needed a break in. My slide could stick all the way back with just the upward hammer pressure holding it. After hundreds of rounds, this isn't an issue anymore. It didn't do this while shooting, just if I pulled the slide back and gently let it go it would stick.

Had some failure to feeds. I'd say maybe 8 out of probably 500rds. Those seemed to go down as the break in was happening. Most of the time this was the first round off the mag. I think the mag pressure and friction can sometimes be too much for the weak recoil spring to overcome.

I shot Rem subsonic, some kind of Winchester in plastic packs like Minimags, Federal Automatch, bulk 550rd red box Federal, CCI Minimags, Velociters (sp?), Stingers, some kind of CCI lightweight high-speed copper things, and bulk Winchester 333rd pack. The only stuff that wouldn't run is the 333rd Winchester. That wasn't surprising as most of my guns hate that crap. It did run it suppressed though.

The good:
1. It ran decent. Besides some of the failures to feed. Most of these were the first round in the mag. These went down as it broke in.
2. It looks great, and having the ability to mount my optic was nice.
3. It ran great suppressed.
4. It ran most of the ammo I brought without issue.

The bad:
1. It needed some break in. Besides the failure to feeds, any other issues seemed ammo related.
2. The recoil spring seems a bit extra weak. I believe this is why the failures to feed.
3. The safety detent/action is weak. It's easy to accidently activate the safety. I did once.
4. The loaded chamber notch leaves a matching vertical residue mark on the optic.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Overall:

I really like the gun. However, when compared to my TX22, the Taurus just runs. It didn't have the break in issues the FN did or really any failures besides one FTF in the first mag. The recoil system in the TX22 is much better. The FN just seems sluggish when you drop the slide and the recoil spring seems weak compared to the Taurus. I hope someone comes out with an aftermarket recoil spring and rod. I think the Taurus just runs better than the FN but I'm not saying the FN is bad. Remember, my sample set is one of each.

I didn't take the Taurus to the range today to compare side by side like I should have. I just mounted an optic plate and optic on the TX22 so I'll have to compare both of them now.

Would I buy it again, absolutely. I really didn't want to stop shooting it today. I definitely need some more mags.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Apex has a stainless steel guide today for the FN.

FYI
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Bought a TX22 Competition expecting to love it.

Hated it. Main issue was the number of malfunctions I had with it and the nature of the malfunctions. I'm used to .22s being a little finicky but these were the worst I've seen. When it malfunctioned it would typically bend the next round at a 135* angle halfway down the brass case, with the whole twisted mess stuck UNDER the feedlips in the mag. The bent case was almost impossible to get out of the mag and it took me 1-2 minutes of futzing each time.

I wanted to use this pistol for small game hunting but I refuse to deal with malfunctions like that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#23]
My TX22 won't cycle properly suppressed with CCI Hush ammo.  But it's been 100% every other way.  Suppressed or unsuppressed with supersonics has been flawless.   Not sure what's up with the subsonic.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a FN 502(black) on backorder since 9-25-2021 through Euro Optic
View Quote

I’m not sure why euro optic has the reputation it does. In my experience their prices are always higher than everyone else and their availability for certain items is spotty.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Apex has a stainless steel guide today for the FN.

FYI
View Quote

I did notice that last night. May try it but was hoping for a captured version.

The larger diameter of the Apex looks to fit the factory spring better. The factory setup makes a bunch of noise while pulling the slide back and I believe that's due to the small rod and large spring.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Until they come out with factory or aftermarket non-pot metal slides for the FN, I’d go with the Taurus.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Its weird to say this, but my vote is for the Taurus. I have 4 threaded .22 pistols and 1 threaded barrel conversion slide, my tx22 is the favorite of all of them, and has been the most reliable. I do not have experience with the FN though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top