Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/9/2003 5:56:03 PM EDT
Anyone seen the recent magazine ads in gun magazines? Just burns me up as they sound anti-gun to me. More law enforcement officers are killed by their own weapon crap and saying that if cops all carry Tasers it will save lives, not only the cops, but the perps also. Well of course it will, so will proper training. Tasers will just let the perps get away with anything, since they aren't going to get hurt really bad. So what, ya gonna shoot me with a Taser? [peep]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:49:47 PM EDT
The real push in LE circles is to add (not replace) true "non-lethal" weapons to the beat cops arsenal. It is fine for SWAT to have lots of this stuff, but most things are over with before the 20-45 minutes it takes SWAT to get there and to get deployed. What LE really wouldn't mind having is a phaser that can get set to "stun," but that doesn't exist (yet). The first big push started about 10 years ago, with OC. OC works great, most of the time, but there are issues with cross-contamination (gassing yourself; sucks, and happens alot, trust me) and OC doesn't work on about 19% of the opoulation, and has a dimished effect on the drunk and drugged. Many agencies put OC at a lower level than going "hands-on;" spraying a BG is far [b]less[/b] likely to cause injuries to the suspect or to officers than a good-old fashioned takedown. It advanced further with beanbags, which got really popular about 5 years ago. Beanbags are really just a pain-compliance tool, though, and rarely casue true incapacitation. It takes an average of three "hits" with BB rounds to get a "stop' (or compliance), and officers frequently shoot high or low into the "no-go" zones, above the nipple line or below the belt, causing injuries and the occasional death. In most jurisdictions, beanbags are considered deadly force, and are basically an alternative to shooting high velocity pieces of metal [i]through[/i] a suspect to create shock and mechanical shut down the threat. Beanbags aren't that accurate, either (especially the square kind; they like to skip or ricochet into "no-go" zones on the target), and have a limited range. They are attractive because it uses a known system (pump-action shotguns) requires minimal training, and is step down in force levels from other deadly force methods. Not to cloud the issue, but beanbag rounds are not truly "non-lethal;" they are "less-lethal." Air Tasers take the old Taser concept to a different level. The old Taser was a pain-copliance tool, and a determined, drugged or just plain crazy person can fight through it and still be a major threat. The new Air Taser works on a different principle, and actually overrides the CNS, causing your muscles to involuntarily contract your body into the basic fetal position while you scream like a banshee, followed by intense whimpering like a little girl. (I know; been zapped with one). They work pretty well, but still suffer from limited range and some other issues (like both probes have to hit for a good contact and accompanying zap). It is not a mature technology yet, and is not ready to be deployed alone, without good old fashioned deadly force cover. I have only heard one example of LE eschewing the "normal" weapons for less-lethal and non-lethal stuff. I saw a documentary about a SWAT Team in the SOuth somewhere that runs missions only armed with less-lethal and non-lethal stuff. Doesn't sound like a real good idea to me. None of the manufacturers of these weapons (at least that I have heard of) market these weapons, or recommend them to be used in place of traditional firearms or without deadly force cover. I haven't detected any anti-gun bias, either. It just strikes me as simple marketing, as in "Don't spend your money on a super-tricked out M4 Carbine. Buy my Phaser instead. Its better, and you'll get sued less often." I am glad to have this stuff, but we are still a long ways off from hanging up our trusty sidearms and carbines (shotguns are being considered increasingly obsolete, though, but that is another discussion).
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:14:16 PM EDT
The new Air Taser works on a different principle, and actually overrides the CNS, causing your muscles to involuntarily contract your body into the basic fetal position while you scream like a banshee, followed by intense whimpering like a little girl.
View Quote
that sounds like a guy I saw who accidentally got shot with a potato cannon[lol]
Top Top