Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:29:07 AM EDT
Ok here's an interesting question. I'll appreciate all your responses and views. My wife is a Licensed master social worker. In english that means she is a therapist that visits kids in their homes. Her employer will not allow her to carry a firearm and honestly it would be a bad idea with suicidal patients. Plus she goes to schools. Even if she could she has to inform the homeowner that she is carrying whenever she enters a home. The glock shirt she wears sometimes causes enough problems. Anyway I've been thinking about a taser, which can be had for far less than a Glock, I wouldn't think it would pose a suicide threat if someone got it, and you don't have to have a permit in Arkansas to have it concealed. Is this her best option? If not, what is? Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:47:36 AM EDT
Sounds like a reasonable alternative, but it has limitations:

- The one's I have seen are not small (larger than a Glock 21) so concealment could be difficult.

- One shot.

- Short range (but probably okay).

On the other hand:

- non-leathal

- reasonably effective deterant

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:52:03 AM EDT
Yeah it's about the size of a glock 23 but with a "barrel" about two or three times as big around as a Glock. That's why women are lucky, they get a purse.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:01:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:09:28 AM EDT
This is not one approved for LE use. It has no digital screen that tells you how much power you have left or any of that. It's only $320. It's not either one of the 2 mentioned. But it is the same brand.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:19:56 AM EDT
You have to work out a worst case scenario when thinking about carrying in those circumstances. If your wife is overpowered and it is used against her, while not lethal, it would give whoever is using it the upper hand while your wife is basically paralyzed. I'm not saying that you don't do it, but pepper spray is a whole lot cheaper and can be temporarily defeated with a good mind set. If her only goal is to disengage from the situation and get out of the door to safety I would almost suggest a good quality pepper spray. It boils down to what her immediate goals are and whether or not the people that she is dealing with are armed and with what.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:24:48 AM EDT
From a civilian's point of view, I think you propose an excellent alternative. Given her situation, a Taser is better than nothing, so when weighing the good versus the bad, remember that the WORST is no defense at all.

Might I be so bold as to also suggest some real-world defensive skills, such as Krav Maga? In all reality, KM would serve her better and be much more likely to be used than a Taser. Both together would be the ideal scenario, IMHO. But with KM experience she would at least be able to fall back on her training in case anyone gets too close for her to pull the Taser, which sounds very likely given your description of her job.

All the best to you and your wife.

Richard
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:26:37 AM EDT
Actually I thought about it, but she is disabled. And while very strong she's got a horribly bad back and it doesn't take much at all to hurt her. I'd much rather her be able to carry a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:36:01 AM EDT
Another vote for some kind of realistic self-defense training. Also, get her some good pepper spray. Yes, a Taser is better than nothing. As an LEO who carries one, I think it is a great tool. If she chooses to carry one, look into self-defense training that incorporates weapon-retention skills. She would not like the Taser taken from her and used against her, like someone said. And keep in mind, not the Taser, nor pepper spray, nor a Glock is the solve-all for everything. Nothing is. Your brain is your best weapon, and the one you can take everywhere. Use it.

Oh yeah, HI RICHARD!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:39:21 AM EDT
I'd be VERY careful about what you are buying. As mentioned, there are only two Tasers and the operating technology is patented.

My police supply catalog lists the X26 at 799$ with the cartridges at 20$ each. The Glock 9mm is listed at 398$.

You may end up spending good money on a glorified stun gun that won't do the job.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:39:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
Actually I thought about it, but she is disabled. And while very strong she's got a horribly bad back and it doesn't take much at all to hurt her. I'd much rather her be able to carry a pistol.

Ah. Of course, I was unaware of this when I posted my suggestion. My apologies.

In that case, I would suggest both the Taser and the spray. Fox Labs stream is the best, from what I hear, but I'll let those who carry it daily suggest that (LEOs). I will, however, add one final thought before my usefulness is completely dimished here: please make certain she has excellent training in both. She can carry anything, but without training and practice, it's nothing more than a tool waiting to be taken from her.

Sounds like she has a very rewarding career and is commited to those she serves. Nothing better can be had in life than knowing you are helping another. Would you please confer my thoughts to her and let her know I am in prayer for her safety and her effectiveness in her willingness to help?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:41:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 6:45:40 AM EDT by Dusty_C]

Originally Posted By Johninaustin:
I'd be VERY careful about what you are buying. As mentioned, there are only two Tasers and the operating technology is patented.

My police supply catalog lists the X26 at 799$ with the cartridges at 20$ each. The Glock 9mm is listed at 398$.

You may end up spending good money on a glorified stun gun that won't do the job.

I've said before it's not one approved for LE use. It is a taser, made by the same people that make the 2 shown above. It's only the mechanism to fire the cartridge and shock the shit out of the target. It doesn't have the LE features like the screen and recording stuff so you can prove how long/much you shocked the asshole that needed it.

ETA I do want her to work on weapons retention but anything more than that (even that actually)is to much for her back. She's had one back surgery that fused 3 vertabrae in her back and was on vioxx, which between that and the surgery, she had a stroke in her back in recovery. She was paralyzed for several weeks and had to learn to do everything again. She still has foot drop in one foot and various other nerve problems. The reason I like the taser is the face that everyone I've seen shot with one was instantly incapacitated. You don't get that with pepper spray. She needs something that will put them down instantly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:42:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Glockgirl26:
Another vote for some kind of realistic self-defense training. Also, get her some good pepper spray. Yes, a Taser is better than nothing. As an LEO who carries one, I think it is a great tool. If she chooses to carry one, look into self-defense training that incorporates weapon-retention skills. She would not like the Taser taken from her and used against her, like someone said. And keep in mind, not the Taser, nor pepper spray, nor a Glock is the solve-all for everything. Nothing is. Your brain is your best weapon, and the one you can take everywhere. Use it.

Oh yeah, HI RICHARD!

GG26! By the way I live and breathe what brings you to our humble abode?

Damn glad to see you here, hun! GT getting too boring for you? Or just too many trolls? Is the future hubby here, too?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:48:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:54:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By richardh247:

Ah. Of course, I was unaware of this when I posted my suggestion. My apologies.

In that case, I would suggest both the Taser and the spray. Fox Labs stream is the best, from what I hear, but I'll let those who carry it daily suggest that (LEOs). I will, however, add one final thought before my usefulness is completely dimished here: please make certain she has excellent training in both. She can carry anything, but without training and practice, it's nothing more than a tool waiting to be taken from her.

Sounds like she has a very rewarding career and is commited to those she serves. Nothing better can be had in life than knowing you are helping another. Would you please confer my thoughts to her and let her know I am in prayer for her safety and her effectiveness in her willingness to help?

Thank you, and I will. She busted her butt to get her masters as a single mom and did it with her back problems. I met her the day after she walked for here masters. It's been an interesting ride to say the least but I'm very proud of her and everything she's ever done. Makes me feel good that she honored me by becoming my wife.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:56:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 7:14:46 AM EDT by Dusty_C]

Originally Posted By kblagg:

This is not one approved for LE use. It has no digital screen that tells you how much power you have left or any of that. It's only $320. It's not either one of the 2 mentioned. But it is the same brand.

The x26 is the LE version. the M18 is the civilian version, they offer it with or without a laser.

I called my gun guy and asked him about it to double check. And he confirmed that it was teh same exact manufacturer. That being said. Something else I worry about. Reliability. Does anyone know of any instances where they have failed to fire, or failed to incapacitate?

ETA: to save myself from the spelling nazis. To tired to worry about the grammar nazis.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:01:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Glockgirl26:

Oh yeah, HI RICHARD!

GG26! By the way I live and breathe what brings you to our humble abode?

Damn glad to see you here, hun! GT getting too boring for you? Or just too many trolls? Is the future hubby here, too?

I've been lurking here and reading for over year, I finally decided it was time to register and post a bit. Yeah, my sweetie is here too, been around a lot longer than me. GT is not the only place I hang out!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:11:15 AM EDT

The x26 is the LE version. the M18 is the civilian version, they offer it with or without a laser.

I called my gun guy and asked him about it to double check. And he confirmed that it was teh same exact manufacturer. That being said. Something else I worry about. Reliability. Does anyone know of any instances where they have failed to fire, or failed to incaacitate?

Yes, I know of a lot of instances where they failed.

THe old M18 has a battery problem, corrected by the 26. The tasers effectiveness is limited by clothing, muscle groups and others....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:33:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:51:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:

I called my gun guy and asked him about it to double check. And he confirmed that it was teh same exact manufacturer. That being said. Something else I worry about. Reliability. Does anyone know of any instances where they have failed to fire, or failed to incaacitate?

THe old M18 has a battery problem, corrected by the 26. The tasers effectiveness is limited by clothing, muscle groups and others....

You know, AZ-K9, I face a lot of situations as a property manager where I do not want to resort to my gun or Asp, but with my leg I cannot afford to allow anyone with bad intentions close enough to use OC (all of which I carry). And my last line of defense before drawing my 45 would have to be my Asp because of the limited range. My arm is 2 and 1/2' long, then add a 21" Asp and I am limited to 4 feet. So I have often thought about purchasing a Taser.

The problem is that these people who get oh so close to warrant getting dropped are often transients, stoned on anything you can imagine. That's why I gave up on the handcuff idea - too much liability chance if they croak when I restrain them. That stuff is best left to you guys with the training and legal authority to do so. Hence, I have a fear that a Taser hit could also severly injure, if not kill, them.

Again, my leg does not allow me to run away in a manner where I could get out of harm's way.

My cell phone (911) is always my first line of defense after trying to be nice and then finally demanding. But I do fear getting charged. I can defend myself very well, but one hit to the leg and I will be completely incapacitated, which means my gun is vulnerable.

Given all this, would you recommend a Taser (not the one with battery troubles)? I would, of course, get all the training including, if necessary, taking the ride myself. As a police officer, how do you feel about civilians who are disabled using a Taser for defense instead of employing deadly force, Asp, or OC? I'm sure even if warned against it I will still get one (my safety comes before the litigation prcess in front of the PA), but I am curious to know an officer's thoughts on the matter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:33:32 AM EDT
Ok based on the info today I went ahead and got her some good pepper spray. For the time being that will do until her CCL comes in.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:13:59 AM EDT
richardh247,

My department has had TASERs for a little over a year now. When we first got them we were all very excited about having an alternative to our OC spray. Our spray was very potent and some of us didn't like using it because it seemed to affect us more than the bad guys After we all got trained on them we were all in awe of the TASERs power and people were fighting to be able to carry one with them (we only had a few for each shift).
Then we started using them out on the street and we rudely discovered that they were not 100% effective. It seemed to only work about half the time. The worst incident we had was where a TASER was fired at a suspect (who waburst into flames and continued fighting the two officers) and then used again in "drive stun" mode and it had absolutely no effect on the suspect, who was subsequently shot and killed after getting an officers pistol.

Now that the magic has worn off we all realize that the TASER is just another tool on the belt....sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:49:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:

You know, AZ-K9, I face a lot of situations as a property manager where I do not want to resort to my gun or Asp, but with my leg I cannot afford to allow anyone with bad intentions close enough to use OC (all of which I carry). And my last line of defense before drawing my 45 would have to be my Asp because of the limited range. My arm is 2 and 1/2' long, then add a 21" Asp and I am limited to 4 feet. So I have often thought about purchasing a Taser.

The problem is that these people who get oh so close to warrant getting dropped are often transients, stoned on anything you can imagine. That's why I gave up on the handcuff idea - too much liability chance if they croak when I restrain them. That stuff is best left to you guys with the training and legal authority to do so. Hence, I have a fear that a Taser hit could also severly injure, if not kill, them.

Again, my leg does not allow me to run away in a manner where I could get out of harm's way.

My cell phone (911) is always my first line of defense after trying to be nice and then finally demanding. But I do fear getting charged. I can defend myself very well, but one hit to the leg and I will be completely incapacitated, which means my gun is vulnerable.

Given all this, would you recommend a Taser (not the one with battery troubles)? I would, of course, get all the training including, if necessary, taking the ride myself. As a police officer, how do you feel about civilians who are disabled using a Taser for defense instead of employing deadly force, Asp, or OC? I'm sure even if warned against it I will still get one (my safety comes before the litigation prcess in front of the PA), but I am curious to know an officer's thoughts on the matter.

In your situation, I would carry one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:43:56 PM EDT

Got her a Glock 27 today. It'll have to stay in the jeep instead of on her when going in a house, but it's better than spray if someone tries something while she is in the car.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:45:19 PM EDT

Got her a Glock 27 today. It'll have to stay in the jeep instead of on her when going in a house, but it's better than spray if someone tries something while she is in the car.

If she likes it half as much as I like mine, It's money well spent!

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:50:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NorCal_LEO:

If she likes it half as much as I like mine, It's money well spent!

If she doesn't, I do. lol Almost got her an AK but she complained about the weight. She likes AR carbines and almost went with an 180b. But she made me choose and I got the Glock for CC.
Top Top