Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/18/2008 10:04:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 10:05:37 PM EST by LeDBelly]
Last weekend I got to try proper target shooting for the first time. With .308's no less. Awesome fun, quite technical. It was blowing an absolute gale 30+knts, but i still managed to put most rounds on target. We shot from 500yards, but the range goes as far back as 900 i think.

Most of my shooting has been limited to dropping roos and pigs. It was a good change of pace and very enjoyable.

Anyone else do this sport?

funny sights!

look at those flags moving! My mate trying to beat my score

I was next to a chick who outshot me..

Oh and i had to have a crack at the good old .303 as well.

good times...the guy next to me is mate who invited us out, and showed us the ropes. State champion at the sport, a wonderfull bloke. We talked about "popping japs with the 303 and dropping ragheads with the 308"
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:06:37 PM EST
Looks like fun times, and good learning
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:10:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 10:10:33 PM EST by Leadbetter]
I get to see my .375 Sako for the first time on Monday
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:22:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 10:23:02 PM EST by vito113]
<ARFCOM 'expert' Mode ON?

All guns are banned in Australia

<ARFCOM 'expert' Mode OFF?

One will be along shortly to post something like that…

Love the Lithgow BTW!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:50:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:

Love the Lithgow BTW!

Its an oldie but still shoots well. Makes a solid bang noise too...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:53:27 AM EST

Looks like a great time.

I always like to see what people are doing halfway around the world (I don't know why)

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:54:12 AM EST
Where abouts was this? Out in the sticks?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:57:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By FiftyCalibre:

Yeah out near Toowoomba. A bit of a way from where i live but well worth it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:03:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By LeDBelly:

Holy crap thats a hell of a long distance away from...anywhere!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:05:38 AM EST
when I read "large Bore" I thought I'd see pics of other nut cases like me shooting a Rigby or Lott from bench
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:07:30 AM EST

Holy crap thats a hell of a long distance away from...anywhere!

Not really, about an hour and a half from brissy...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:08:03 AM EST
Was the chick hot? I can see she has some very nice thighs!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:10:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By UNIT6639:

Yeah she was. Theres something erotic about the way a womans body quivers with the recoil from a 308...
She brought her son along as well, i've got a pic of him havin a crack with a 22. He was about 9 I think...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:14:18 AM EST

Yeah she was. Theres something erotic about the way a womans body quivers with the recoil from a 308...
She brought her son along as well, i've got a pic of him havin a crack with a 22. He was about 9 I think...

, from what little I could see in the pic, I thought she was hot, had to ask you though :)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:15:01 AM EST
looks like a good time
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:16:41 AM EST

Love the Lithgow BTW!

There have been about four Australia threads in the last two days, I think I've beaten the "Australians can't own guns" out of them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:22:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lancair:

Love the Lithgow BTW!

There have been about four Australia threads in the last two days, I think I've beaten the "Australians can't own guns" out of them.

I've noticed that too....Tell ya want, there aint many of us, but we sure do punch above our weight!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:33:21 AM EST

Most of my shooting has been limited to dropping roos and pigs. It was a good change of pace and very enjoyable.

You mean kangaroos?? As in "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo?"
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:39:51 AM EST
1.5 hours out from Brissy is still out in the sticks

Roo is good eatin!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:42:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By cool-e:

I REALLY wanna kill a kangaroo.

Those bastards are so smug...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:47:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By Beltfedleadhead:

Originally Posted By cool-e:

I REALLY wanna kill a kangaroo.

Those bastards are so smug...

Grey roos are REALLY stupid too. They stand there and look at you while you line up a shot from about 30m range
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:57:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:02:41 AM EST
yeah roos are fun to drop..bit easy with a scope and a spotlight though, no sport at all..
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:08:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By Shootist1962:
when I read "large Bore" I thought I'd see pics of other nut cases like me shooting a Rigby or Lott from bench

I was thinking some gun bunny pics or something of the sort.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:12:46 AM EST
Looks like fun was had.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:14:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lancair:

Just the ones that shoot more than once, are too small, are too large, or too scary.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:14:36 AM EST

yeah roos are fun to drop..bit easy with a scope and a spotlight though, no sport at all..

Good stuff if you can get the permits - who does the government think they are, restricting us from hunting out own national emblem...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:04:10 AM EST
No-one does any of this long range target shooting then?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:28:26 AM EST
Roos are tasty when properly prepared. I was wearing an NRA shirt on a Jetstar flight from Sydney to Honolulu. Pilot saw it and said he was the Queensland champion F7? shooter. Hi Power rifle with scopes. Had a custom rifle with an Nightforce scope. He went into the cockpit, grabbed his computer and showed me his pictures.

Any good places to rent a gun and shoot around Melbourne?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:44:59 AM EST

, from what little I could see in the pic, I thought she was hot, had to ask you though :)

Sir, actually there are quite a few high power (big bore in your parlance) competitors that frequent these forums. While I realize your country has enacted some rather drastic gun restrictions I've met a number of your countrymen at the annual high power rifle matches at Camp Perry, Ohio in the last few years.

I'm not certain about what inspires the "erotic" comment. I have been squadded with some fairly large women at the National Matches. Tompkins/Galagher comes to mind. Keeping score sitting behind them when they shoot can be interesting but I don't believe "erotic" would be my choice of adjectives to describe the quiver through their body that I observe when they fire their rifle due to recoil. Just my humble opinion. 7zero1, out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:52:17 AM EST

I would like to hear more about spotlighting roos. You guys are lucky to be able to do that and have feral hogs as well. We only have the hogs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:52:25 PM EST
I thought Crocodile Dundee took care of the guys shooting kangaroos
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:57:57 PM EST

No-one does any of this long range target shooting then?

I do.
I shoot Service Rifle which is shot in a very similar way to what you have pictured, just at a little shorter distance.
Over here, we call that Mid Range and Long Range or Palma is shot back at 800, 900, and 1000.

I'm about to start a build on a true Long Range gun.
Is that a Barnard action? And what kind of stock and sights were you using?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:33:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Oh man u got me there, i was just borrowing my mates rifle. I asked him both of those questions but i've forgotten the answer in the flood of new information i was learning that day.

I'd never come across either stock or sights before. But my mate has been into the sport for years and has won "queens" before. So i presume he has put a bit of money into his rifle.

I'd never used a trigger action like it before either. Two-stage, but the second stage is unbelievably smooth.

Beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:40:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:

I would like to hear more about spotlighting roos. You guys are lucky to be able to do that and have feral hogs as well. We only have the hogs.

You go out at dusk, load up the fourby, and go to the nearest paddock full of roos. Hit em with the spotlight, they all stare back at you nice and still. You drop em with a head shot. Wait for the mob to settle, or go to the next paddock...rinse repeat. The property i do most of my shooting at is a very large sheep/grain farm. Large amount of roos, due to constant food, and reliable water. The landowner has a large quota of roos that he can drop, and is more then welcome to have people over to drop a few. There isnt much else to do.

Now the feral pigs are a different story. Heaps of those cunts getting around. Lotsa people go pigging with only dogs and a knife. Tough bastards. Im more civilized - i just shoot em.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:40:43 PM EST
Hunting AUS is on my list of things to do. Top of the list is water buffalo, then red stag, then a roo shoot. I hear there is some good fly fishing as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:48:01 PM EST

Oh man u got me there, i was just borrowing my mates rifle. I asked him both of those questions but i've forgotten the answer in the flood of new information i was learning that day.

I'd never come across either stock or sights before. But my mate has been into the sport for years and has won "queens" before. So i presume he has put a bit of money into his rifle.

I'd never used a trigger action like it before either. Two-stage, but the second stage is unbelievably smooth.

Beautiful rifle.

Looking at it again, Barnards are round so I'd have to say that's likely an RPA Quadlock.
More or less THE action for that kind of shooting. I want one. I can't find one.

They do have a rather unique trigger, too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:51:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 5:53:00 PM EST by Mxpatriot51]
"Anyone else do this sport?"

You think you're on a freakin' sewing club forum?

This a forum of gun owners. Gun owners go target shooting. A lot of us do it quite often. Some of us do it competitively. Some of us are majorly into the competitive side of it.

Freakin' Aussies.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:04:15 PM EST

I'd have to say that's likely an RPA Quadlock.
More or less THE action for that kind of shooting. I want one. I can't find one.

They do have a rather unique trigger, too.

Yeah RPA was stamped on the upper..
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:05:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mxpatriot51:

This a forum of gun owners. Gun owners go target shooting. A lot of us do it quite often. Some of us do it competitively. Some of us are majorly into the competitive side of it.

Freakin' Aussies.

I was asking about this particular version.

Relax mate
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:08:45 PM EST

Freakin' Aussies.

I was asking about this particular version.

Relax mate

I'm just havin' a little fun with you.

So, what's it like to live in the wrong hemisphere?

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:26:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dragracer_Rob:
Roos are tasty when properly prepared. I was wearing an NRA shirt on a Jetstar flight from Sydney to Honolulu. Pilot saw it and said he was the Queensland champion F7? shooter. Hi Power rifle with scopes. Had a custom rifle with an Nightforce scope. He went into the cockpit, grabbed his computer and showed me his pictures.

Any good places to rent a gun and shoot around Melbourne?

Probably. Google for "Melbourne Australia Pistol Range" and you'll get a list of clubs. Give some of 'em a call, they might be able to give you a shoot.

We have a place here in Adelaide that caters specifically to renting, but I dunno about Melbourne.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:37:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 6:39:27 PM EST by Waldo0506]
Why did you change clothes and get a haircut for the second picture?

ETA: My bad, your sharing hats with your mate.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:29:08 PM EST

I'm just havin' a little fun with you.

So, what's it like to live in the wrong hemisphere?

phew, for a sec there i thought i was bagging out gridiron or something.

its great down here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:35:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:48:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By RyJones:
LeDBelly,
Come over some time and let's put explosives at those ranges.
Ry

Oh my god that looks good.

Really really really good....
Top Top