Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 6:02:05 PM EDT
This should be amazing to see.

www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=8&id=317572

Tarantino plans to make kung-fu film in Chinese

Tuesday, November 2, 2004 at 07:54 JST

LONDON — Quentin Tarantino will follow his two-film revenge epic "Kill Bill" with a kung-fu action title shot entirely in Mandarin, he has told a British film magazine in an interview.

Tarantino, a long-time fan of the 1970s "chopsocky" martial arts film genre, will make two versions of the movie, one with English subtitles and another with a dubbed English soundtrack, he told Total Film magazine.

In homage to the often shakily-shot budget martial arts films of the era, the English dubbing will be deliberately out of synchronization with the action.

"The next movie will be in Mandarin. I enjoyed shooting all the Japanese stuff in 'Kill Bill' so much that this whole film will be entirely in Mandarin," the director said in the interview.

"If you're not up to watching it with subtitles, I really want to do a full-on dubbed version."

The as-yet unnamed title will begin shooting early next year, supplanting Tarantino's previously planned follow-up to "Kill Bill," a World War II epic tentatively titled "Inglorious Bastards."

"My next movie is gonna be another kung fu film that's gonna blow your asses off. Everyone still thinks I'm doing 'Inglorious Bastards' next, but before I do, I want to do something much smaller," he told the magazine.

Tarantino, who shot to fame with 1992 debut "Reservoir Dogs" has never hidden his fondness for — and debt to — Asian cinema.

The plot of "Reservoir Dogs" itself was heavily influenced by 1987 Hong Kong crime film "City on Fire," and Tarantino spent some months in Beijing during 2002 filming the "Kill Bill" movies with a Chinese crew.

The two movies lifted heavily from the styles and plots of Hong Kong kung-fu films as well as from Japanese cinema.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Will it be in that same, tired 'hong kong style' action that's so over the top and unrealistic? People flying thru the air, overchoreographed, slow motion everything?

I'm so tired of that crap.  I'm want something with real action not this ballet BS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top