Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 2:56:21 AM EDT
I am looking to put a beer tap tower on my home bar that I will be making once I close on my house.

I am looking for recommendations on a keg tap kit (CO2) with a tower that is bolted to a bar.

I would like to keep it in the ~$150-200 range, or cheaper if possible. I only want one tap because enentually I want a tap for Guinness Daught
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics or GTFO and can I come live with you?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics of what?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
i have a home made keg fridge in my game room... if i recall it ran me about 300 w/ one tap, manifold, lines and two small tanks.  I bought my tanks outright and they ran like 60 a piece filled.  I liked the two small tanks over going with one large one due to size and the fact that i never run out.  If you google it you'll come up with all kinds of ideas and products.  Good luck with your drinking.

Stump Out !
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:31:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordered a DIY kegerator kit from kegworks.com a long time ago.  That's where I'd shop if I was building something else.

It came with everything but the refrigerator. [edit] Had to get a CO2 bottle filled at the welding supply shop too.
CHRIS

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
check some home brewing shops too.

I was browsing one yesterday and noticed a kit for tapping commercial kegs for around $220.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:33:51 AM EDT
[#6]
You have a couple of issues you need to address.   First how is the keg going to be cooled?  I assume you already have a mini-fridge setup under the bar which will not be factored into the budget of $150.  If so you are doing good.  Next, if you want to run Guinness you need to get a special stout regulator, because Guinness is run off of beer gas instead of CO2 and a stout faucet (beer gas is a CO2 nitrogen blend).  The problem is this set up only really work for stouts or other nitro beers like Boddingtons.

If I were you I would do a single tower with two faucets, so under the bar you could have a normal regulator and the stout regulator.  This would require the purchase of 2 gas bottles but that can be done with time.  You would then be able able to run any beer you like and take up only marginally more room.

As for supplies, use only micro matic.  I have tried others in the past, only to throw them out and replace with Micro Matic.  Off brand will often leak CO2 and don't really fit together as well.

www.micromatic.com

If you need help IM me.  I do not do this for a living but have set up a few home bars and kegarators for myself and some friends, including the current six tap system I have now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You have a couple of issues you need to address.   First how is the keg going to be cooled?  I assume you already have a mini-fridge setup under the bar which will not be factored into the budget of $150.  If so you are doing good.  Next, if you want to run Guinness you need to get a special stout regulator, because Guinness is run off of beer gas instead of CO2 and a stout faucet (beer gas is a CO2 nitrogen blend).  The problem is this set up only really work for stouts or other nitro beers like Boddingtons.

If I were you I would do a single tower with two faucets, so under the bar you could have a normal regulator and the stout regulator.  This would require the purchase of 2 gas bottles but that can be done with time.  You would then be able able to run any beer you like and take up only marginally more room.

As for supplies, use only micro matic.  I have tried others in the past, only to throw them out and replace with Micro Matic.  Off brand will often leak CO2 and don't really fit together as well.

www.micromatic.com

If you need help IM me.  I do not do this for a living but have set up a few home bars and kegarators for myself and some friends, including the current six tap system I have now.

We need pics of that
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.micromatic.com

We need pics of that

I will try to get some pics when I get home tonight.  Although it is a mixed match system with non-matching towers.  Not pretty but it works.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Check with the local homebrew shops.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:20:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a kegerator, it comes with the fridge, the tap and the CO2 bottle.  I have one and it is fvkcing awesome!  I keep the lid to every keg I have purchased and in almost four years I have 51 caps.  YES!!

-And I thought I would be in trouble when I brought it home, but the wife said 'that is cool'-
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:21:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you guys really drink that much Beer?

I'd consider one of the Heinken ken can things for me but thats about it.  I can't imagine I'd be able to kick a keg before it takes it's own life.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:34:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I ordered a DIY kegerator kit from kegworks.com a long time ago.  That's where I'd shop if I was building something else.

It came with everything but the refrigerator.  Had to get an CO2 from the welding supply shop too.
CHRIS
Im no expert, but is welding gas safe to use for this kind of stuff?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#13]
When you get one, you start having lots of friends over. Then it goes fast. Real fast.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

When you get one, you start having lots of friends over. Then it goes fast. Real fast.

Yep. And you'll find yourself drinking beer every day. Copious amounts of beer.

I built one with friends, with great success, but our overall beer consumption went through the roof.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Pics of said bar in question or fo away.

Extra points if there are weapons included...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It came with everything but the refrigerator.  Had to get an CO2 from the welding supply shop too.

CHRIS

lol, welding supply places sell all kinds of gases.  don't use argon for your kegerator
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CHRIS

lol, welding supply places sell all kinds of gases.  don't use argon for your kegerator

Gee. Thanks for the tip.  

It was recommended by several kit suppliers, so I do it.  Was about $10 for the 5# refill last time.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pics of said bar in question or fo away.

Extra points if there are weapons included...

Don't have the bar built yet, gotta close on the house first!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Start with this:
Brew Logic Single Tap Draft System- with Reconditioned CO2 Tank $150

If you want to do a commercial keg, you'll need to pick up the correct coupler:
Commercial Keg Couplers

Later on, add this:
3" Dual Faucet Towers. Dual Faucet Chrome Tower

I like
Midwest Supplies
and
Northern Brewer
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<...> Had to get an CO2 from the welding supply shop too.

Yea, just ask the welding gas supply to fill you up with 'beer gas' they generally know what that means.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<...> Had to get an CO2 from the welding supply shop too.

Yea, just ask the welding gas supply to fill you up with 'beer gas' they generally know what that means.

"beer gas" is the industry name for mixed CO2 and Nitrogen, which is what is used for stouts.  Most beer pours on CO2 only so be clear as to what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Here are two pics of my set up.

Apologize for quality..damn cell phone in dark room.

Kegerator keeps my Guiness right at 37 degrees.

I know purists like around 40, but by the time I get a full glass down, it's usually pretty warm by then.

You can see the Nitrogen set up on the left.

I had to drill a hole in side of frig, and a hole through a rubber stopper.

Then inserted gas tube through the stopper and plugged it up.

Works like a charm.

Problem now is...my keg in the picture is MT.

New one is over $250.00 now.

Here's to hoping for a nice father's day present.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Tap your a keg at your house?

You are already drinking too much.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#24]
My kegerator:
holds 4 cornies or one 1/4 barrel and one cornie (see cornie next to keggerator)

Inside

PS- my welding shop does not fill the tank you bring- they just trade out....may just want to get one direct instead of buying them a nice new one...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#25]
When you own a house, you should be less likely to provide the lubrication necessary for property destruction...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#26]
OST
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'd consider one of the Heinken ken can things for me but thats about it.  I can't imagine I'd be able to kick a keg before it takes it's own life.  

yes
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Be careful, you'll start drinking too much. Ask me how I know. Now I'm on a fucking diet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#29]
For the none 7 day a week drinkers.

how long does the beer last before it goes bad in a keg?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#30]
How long do you get out of an unpasteurized keg on average?

We're hopefully closing next week on a house with a kegerator.. Want to get that thing up and running on Yuengling ASAP, just need to do the homework.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes. I homebrew and kegging would make my life so much easier......

I've got 5 batches in bottles right now and two more in primary. That's a lot of bottles.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

How long do you get out of an unpasteurized keg on average?

We're hopefully closing next week on a house with a kegerator.. Want to get that thing up and running on Yuengling ASAP, just need to do the homework.
The beer in the keg doesn't go bad.

The CO2 or Nitrogen is infused in the beer as it comes out of the tap.

So as long as you have proper gas mixture, beer will never be 'flat.'

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got 5 batches in bottles right now and two more in primary. That's a lot of bottles.

Bottles are a pain in the ass, I only do it when I have to (big Belgians etc)

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend homebrews and says the kegging system his wife got him a few years back was the best thing he could've done for the hobby.  Said the bottles were such a pain in the ass he was thinking about selling his stuff and switching to Beast Ice permanently.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#35]
homebrew and bottles = teh suxxor
just buy the kegging stuff right off the bat and save yourself headache and $$$

I have had keg in for months with no issues- they are cold and under pressure.

watch out for cheap keggerators- some dont get very cold
If you can swing it- get a Superior tapster
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Be careful, you'll start drinking too much. Ask me how I know. Now I'm on a fucking diet.

That's one of the reasons I used to justify my kegerator expense to my wife.

Guiness is actually a 'light' beer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

CHRIS

Gee. Thanks for the tip.  
It was recommended by several kit suppliers, so I do it.  Was about $10 for the 5# refill last time.

CHRIS

All bulk CO2 is food-grade, you can't get anything that isn't safe to drink.  You do have to be careful with disposable cartridges, because some of them still have lubricating oil inside them (for use in air tools, guns, etc.).

A guinness tap will cost you about $400 plus the cost of a refrigerator.  It uses a proprietary coupling, a restrictor-plate stout faucet, a beergas tank, nitrogen regulator plus the standard tap shank/tower and fittings.

Do some research and look at the catalogs available.  All the information is there if you look for it.  I'm not going to take the time to type out a whole how-to right now, but I'm happy to answer a specific question.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CHRIS

Gee. Thanks for the tip.  

CHRIS

All bulk CO2 is food-grade, you can't get anything that isn't safe to drink.  You do have to be careful with disposable cartridges, because some of them still have lubricating oil inside them (for use in air tools, guns, etc.).
A guinness tap will cost you about $400 plus the cost of a refrigerator.  It uses a proprietary coupling, a restrictor-plate stout faucet, a beergas tank, nitrogen regulator plus the standard tap shank/tower and fittings.

Do some research and look at the catalogs available.  All the information is there if you look for it.  I'm not going to take the time to type out a whole how-to right now, but I'm happy to answer a specific question.
When I bought my first Guiness keg, my dealer 'gave' me a tap for free.  And since that time, I've purchased close to thirty kegs from him.

If you're just starting out, that would be a good question to ask your dealer.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For the none 7 day a week drinkers.
how long does the beer last before it goes bad in a keg?

Depends entirely on the beer, storage temperature and how good your gas regulator is.  I'm assuming that your beer lines are regularly cleaned as well.

With a good regulator, a storage temp of 45*F and my unfiltered homebrew, easily 6 months.  I've never had a keg last longer than that, but it was good to the last pint.

Filtered commercial macro beer won't last quite as long, but at least 3 months is reasonable.  Note that commercial kegs are generally overcarbonated, so you'll notice some foaming and other issues with the first few pints.

A keg of commercial craft beer might last anywhere from 3 months to 3 years, depending upon what it is.

Victory sells kegs out of their brewpub and I've always wanted to get me a pony of Storm King...  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#41]
This is the best forum I have found on kegerators http://www.micromatic.com/

The pic is of my Danby from Sams Club.  It has a few mods (recommended on the forum) to improve its performance (resistor and tower cooling fan)  This addresses the previous poster's comments about cheap kegerators not getting cold.  A 97 cent resistor fixes it!  Mine stays at 37 degrees!

I added a dual tap tower and now keep 2 1/6 kegs in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top