Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/14/2003 1:19:32 PM EDT
Hey guys. In my lifetime, I have bought two bottles of Tannerite. One of them went off with a satisfying boom and the other one was a dud! So for you other tannerite people out there, have you ever had a dud? Both times I shot the tannerite with my SKS. I'm thinking maybe for the one that was a dud, I winged the top of the bottle and the bottle got torn open, but the bullet didn't actually hit the tannerite, although I'm not sure about that. Maybe it was just a dud. What gives?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:29:45 PM EDT
I had 2 duds. Both of them however may have a very good reason for being duds: Dud #1: Tannerite bottle floating in a lake, shot with Winchester USA 45 grain JHP. Bottle and water flew up into the air, then bottle filled with water and sank within seconds. Dud #2: Tannerite bottle hung nest to a hornets nest in a tree, shot with a handloaded Hornady 40 gr. V-Max. Bottle burst open showering the ground with the binary ingredients. I have shot many other bottles with great results, so I have made a couple theories for myself... Never try to detonate Tannerite through water. The binary may be ruined in a very short time. Never try to detonate Tannerite with a handloaded, non-chronographed, light bullet. Sure a .30-30 will detonate Tannerite, but perhaps my little handloaded pill didn't have enough juice. I may have just gotten unlucky with those two bottles, but at $5 a pop I don't want to do any controlled experiments!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/14/2003 1:51:00 PM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:59:34 PM EDT
KY-Bob brought a case to the Kyana shoot at Knob Creek this past weekend. We had very satisfying results. Mrs AR15-Nut whacked one in a computer and sent pieces flying over 100 yards. It was beautiful!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/14/2003 7:17:29 PM EDT by Axel]
DevilsAdvocate gave me the video that comes with the case. They show it to be so stable that it will NOT go off if hit with a 9mm or .22 and they demonstrate that. It must be hit with a "high-powered" rifle. Also, wait ten minutes after you mix it. Edited to add, I would strongly prefer the occasional dud to the occasional "OOPS!"
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:21:19 PM EDT
... Two Whole Bottles? ... Get back to us after several cases. [size=3]TURN YOUR VOLUME WAY HIGH FOR THIS [url=http://www.cavalryarms.com/vids/AZshoot1.WMV]DEMO[/url][/size=3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:23:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Axel: They show it to be so stable that it will NOT go off if hit with a 9mm or .22 and they demonstrate that. It must be hit with a "high-powered" rifle. Also, wait ten minutes after you mix it.
View Quote
Why do they discriminate against poor people like me?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:55:34 AM EDT
7.62x39 isn't exactly what I would call "high-powered"; perhaps this is the reason for the dud?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:37:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf: [size=3]TURN YOUR VOLUME WAY HIGH FOR THIS [url=http://www.cavalryarms.com/vids/AZshoot1.WMV]DEMO[/url][/size=3]
View Quote
Sweetness. That looks like it was a lot of fun.
Top Top