Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2005 10:07:22 AM EDT
Alright, lets see them. I ship off in two more days to become an M1A1 Abrams crewman, and I'd like to see some pics, other than the ones I can bring up on GIS. All other kinds of tanks are welcome as well. I have a few, but they are on my laptop hard drive...which is a bit on the disabled side at the moment, but I'll post them if I can manage to recover them.

-Storm
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#1]
<---------------------------------------------------
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
ok here is a link for you lots of pics of the best tank in the buisness.

www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m1-intro.htm

and here is some teasers for you.

abrahms in iraq these all our m1a1 tanks.

this is the orginal m1 tank

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
AWESOME
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there some onboard system to clear the barrel of a tank before firing?  Debris is bound to get in there and I was wondering if it could cause a barrel failure it say a pile of dust, small arms projectiles, building debris got in there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that what the bore evacuator is for? Or am I on crack? GOOGLE TIME!

EDIT: Im on crack - its a bore *gas* evacuator.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i think you our right just not to sure we really need one of ar's tanker people to come in this thread and explain it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Ummm...

Those last 2 pics are targets.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
GET SOME STORMRIDER!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i think you our right just not to sure we really need one of ar's tanker people to come in this thread and explain it.

No, the bore evacuator pressurizes when a round is fired, and then blows out the fumes of the spend round out of the tube so it does not build up in the breech and inside the turret.  The holes are drilled at an angle leading from the tube inside the bore evacuator, so the pressurized gas blasts toward the muzzle which also sucks the fumes out behind the bore evacuator
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ummm...

Those last 2 pics are targets the threat.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah, thank you! I was always curious as to the function of the bore evacuator.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey stormrider, you know what the best part of and M1A1 is? The exhuast keeping me warm on cold wet days in the field. Just kidding and good luck.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Check out the name of the tube of these two tanks.  I took these pictures in April 2003 outside Baghdad.  You are going to have such a good time.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#15]
ok here is a link for you lots of pics of the best tank in the business

One of the best. It does some things better than any other tank, and some not quite as well. Anyone who has tensioned track with a hand-pumped grease gun would be envious of the British system, for example! (Push button)

The true function of the bore evacuator is to allow you some place to put the tank's name. That first picture up there was taken most of the way through our tour, and we still hadn't had time to put the name on it. (It still says 'recoil exercised' and a date under that) It turned out to be the only tank we never named officially, though 'motor pool queen' was a common epithet! As for clearing the tube, some tanks (Not many) use compressed air.

This was my one.

Enjoy Ft Knox. And remember:

1) Do not use a sledge to check for soft spots in the armour. Ballpeen hammer is used.
2) Jumping up and down on the back deck has a different function than testing the torsion bars.
3) The wind sensor must be erect before you try to warm it up.
4) There is only one front slope wear guage per platoon. Your tank may not have it, so don't be afraid to ask around.

I've loads more pics of our tanks and our tour at www.clubi.ie/exalted/sightssounds.htm

NTM
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

One of the best. It does some things better than any other tank, and some not quite as well. Anyone who has tensioned track with a hand-pumped grease gun would be envious of the British system, for example! (Push button)

The true function of the bore evacuator is to allow you some place to put the tank's name. That first picture up there was taken most of the way through our tour, and we still hadn't had time to put the name on it. (It still says 'recoil exercised' and a date under that) It turned out to be the only tank we never named officially, though 'motor pool queen' was a common epithet! As for clearing the tube, some tanks (Not many) use compressed air.

This was my one.

www.clubi.ie/exalted/blegal.JPG

1) Do not use a sledge to check for soft spots in the armour. Ballpeen hammer is used.
2) Jumping up and down on the back deck has a different function than testing the torsion bars.
4) There is only one front slope wear guage per platoon. Your tank may not have it, so don't be afraid to ask around.

I've loads more pics of our tanks and our tour at www.clubi.ie/exalted/sightssounds.htm

NTM

Tension tracks with a hand pump grease gun???? Try a big ass wrench on the M60 series. Boy, you guys got it made.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
whats the difrence between a M1 and M1A1?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#21]
15mm, and rifling.

M1 is the older version, with the British L7 105mm rifle (Made in US as M68), the upgunned version which showed up in the later 1980s is the M1A1 (and later) with the German 120mm smoothbore (Made in US with slightly redesigned breech as M256)

NTM
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Excellent pics
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.greghavener.com/images/yeehaww.jpg

Yeeeeehhhaaaaaawwww!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't know who Jody is, but this drawing is sweet! www.jodyharmon.com/

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#26]
The Brits and Germans actually laugh and wonder why the US has such a short barrel. The Leopard 2 has a longer and larger diameter barrel.

it's a SBR!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ummm...

Those last 2 pics are targets.

they aint tanks....they're targets.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Here are a bunch o fpics that my buddy took when he went to the tank farm...check it out.

510garage.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=85&page=2
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#29]
This gives you a good idea of the size of the rounds you'll be handling:

This was a fun day for me at Tank School:

I hope you're not a big guy - it gets cramped in there:

One thing that struck me about being a tanker is that 95% of the time you'll spend either working on your tank or thinking about working on your tank.  To say that they are maintenance intensive would be putting it mildly.  Be prepared to spend a lot of time on replacing track pads and adjusting track tension (no, that's not blood, it's red spray paint):

Still, the trade-off is that you get to drive around in the most advanced ground-fighting machine ever made.  Personally, I loved life as a "tread head".  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The Brits and Germans actually laugh and wonder why the US has such a short barrel. The Leopard 2 has a longer and larger diameter barrel.

img393.imageshack.us/img393/844/sabot8sk2fn.jpg

it's a SBR!!!!!!!!!

Challenger II 120L55 rifled barrel
Leopard 2-2A5 120L44 smoothbore
Leopard 2A6 120L55 smoothbore

M1A1 and up 120L44 smoothbore

2A6 is pretty new, and the Germans don't use DU rounds. So they have to make up for the less effective projectiles with more gun................

I believe rifled cannons generally have lower velocity than smoothbores because of the friction and gas blow-by inherent in rifling.

They can chuckle all the want........................
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#31]
The Germans and Brits recounted that the US M1A1/A2s didn't have problems with the shorter barrels in urban areas, whereas the longer barrels could get caught up.

A new smoothbore gun, the 120 millimetre L55 Gun, has been developed by Rheinmetall GmbH of Ratingen, Germany to replace the shorter 120mm L44 smoothbore tankgun on the Leopard 2. The extension of the barrel length from calibre length 44 to calibre length 55 results in a greater portion of the available energy in the barrel being converted into projectile velocity increasing the range and armour penetration. The L55 smoothbore gun, equipped with a thermal sleeve, a fume extractor and a muzzle reference system, is compatible with current 120mm ammunition and new high penetration ammunition. An improved kinetic energy ammunition known as LKE 2 DM53 was developed as a result of a Tactical Requirement issued in November 1987, and uses the longer gun barrel. With the DM53 round the L55 gun can fire to a range of 5,000m. The effect of the kinetic energy projectile on an enemy target is achieved by 1) the penetrator length and projectile mass and the impact velocity and 2) the interaction between the projectile and the target. The penetrator material is heavy tungsten powder in a monoblock structure. The improved kinetic energy ammunition has higher muzzle energy and recoil forces.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Spin stabilization significantly degrades the performance of shaped charge warheads, so HEAT rounds work much better out of smooth bores...another reason for going with a smoothbore...

Ohh, and remember APFSDS-T is Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Disacarding Sabot, with Tracer...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Achtung baby...

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Achtung baby...

www.lerenfort.fsnet.co.uk/img22.jpg

Oh, yeah...old school bad ass. Konigstiger! Armed with the KwK 43 L/71 gun, an improvement of the 8,8cm gun on the Tiger I, then new case made the original 8,8cm round look like a pipsqueek. Made a bit of a problem because the round was so damn long, tough to maneuver.

But it cut through pretty much all armor like a hot knife going through butter....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

img393.imageshack.us/img393/844/sabot8sk2fn.jpg

it's a SBR!!!!!!!!!

Thats a nice pic of the round dicarding its sabot!

BKVic
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#36]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I know someone has a pic of the tank with the suppressor on it. (I guess I don't have it anymore)
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Spin stabilization significantly degrades the performance of shaped charge warheads, so HEAT rounds work much better out of smooth bores...another reason for going with a smoothbore...

Whilst true, this is also totally irrelevant if, like the British, you prefer HESH rounds to HEAT rounds. HESH and regular HE are better out of a rifle for two reasons. One is that since you don't need any fins, you can devote more of your round to carrying explosives, the other is that given the longer flight times of those rounds spin turns out to be a little more effective at long range than fins. (But that's pretty relative)

Either way, the fact does remain that the current tank-on-tank kill distance record is held by a British rifle, with the Americans somewhere almost a kilometer behind.

We had enough problems with the L44 in urban terrain, the extra ten calibres (Meter and a bit) wouldn't have made much difference. The right way to work around it is the Israeli method of putting the turret much further back.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Transport, the shorter barrel will have less interference with other vehicles and supplies when pointed backwards.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Is there some onboard system to clear the barrel of a tank before firing?  Debris is bound to get in there and I was wondering if it could cause a barrel failure it say a pile of dust, small arms projectiles, building debris got in there.

Nope, just a big ass bore brush and some CLP and sweat. Then just put on the rubber muzzle protector.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for all the pics guys. I leave tomorrow at 1600 for the MEPS, then leave the next morning from there to Ft. Knox. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics, assuming the Drill Sgt. allows us cameras, and share em all with you guys.

-Storm
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm going to MEPS before the 30th of Sept. for PLC. What should I expect? Much bloodwork? Please God no STD tests, not wanting anything shoved up Mr. Willy. The recruiter said  it'd take about from 24 hours including the drive, why in the hell is it so long?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#43]
When you get to Fort Knox remember that it is traditional for junior tankers to address senior tankers as "DAT".  In boot camp you should probably add "Sergeant" to it.  So when you see your drill sergeant for the first time, you should call out, "Hey, DAT!, Sergeant DAT, HEY!!!!".  Do it loud, that way they'll know that you are motivated!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

This was my one.

www.clubi.ie/exalted/blegal.JPG

NTM

#4, Is that anything like an adjustable metric wrench? I remember being sent to retrieve one once......
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:37:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
What should I expect?

No alcoholic drinks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:40:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm going to MEPS before the 30th of Sept. for PLC. What should I expect? Much bloodwork? Please God no STD tests, not wanting anything shoved up Mr. Willy. The recruiter said  it'd take about from 24 hours including the drive, why in the hell is it so long?

Its a goverment agency, that's why it takes so long :P Only thing they do with yer cock'n'balls is the old cough test. Its really not that bad at all. Which MEPS are you going to? The way my day went was like this.

Got there around 1800, met a few dudes. Marines, AF, Army, no navy that afternoon though.

Dinner was served right after we got there...free, all you can eat. I have to say, Uncle Sam sure knows how to treat future soliders well.

Me and a reserve guy went to Hooters that night...I'd never been, and he insisted. Glad I listened....some damn fine wiminz there.

All and all, the night that you are there you are left alone, at least down here. Don't drink.

Let me say again, don't drink. They breathalize you in the morning.

Now the fun part, Up at 0400, breakfast in the same manner as dinner at 0430

Right after breakfast, they put you on the shuttle and ship you to the MEPS

First thing here they run you through the metal detector....don't bring a pocket knife or anything that can be considered a weapon. That'll ruin your day in a hurry.

Then, they go over some medical questions, the same that you did with your recruiter, but a bit more in depth.  Don't lie here, it IS for your own good.

Then, they go over the criminal history. If you have EVER been fingerprinted for a crime, they WILL find out. Come clean at this point. Parking tickets, speeding tickets, whatever. Ain't gonna hurt you to come clean, but it WILL if you don't.

If you haven't taken the ASVAB, you'll take that....real easy, I scored 90. Not bad for a HS dropout, so don't sweat that either.

Then the medical part.....I HATE going to the doctor, so I thought that would be the worst part. The only time you see a needle is when they do blood work. I hate needles, but it really isn't that bad at all. You have a piss test, then they strip you down to your boxers, and have you do a few excersises, real easy stuff. Then you go one on one with the doc. Checks your back and stuff....there was NO prodding places that didn't need to be prodded, to my pleasant suprise.

Then you have an eye and hearing test...which ain't bad at all.  They feed you lunch by the way. We got Subway, but I'm sure it varies from MEPS to MEPS.

Once all the testing is over with, you'll go see someone about getting your job. I felt really rushed to be honest once I went in there......that was about the only negitive experence that I had. Given, he was the only one there that day doing it, and we only had 20 mins to do everything before the swearing in ceremony. I wanted to do 25s at first....but it wasn't open for one reason or the other, so I chose my second choice. ALWAYS have a second choice beforehand.

Other that that, there was a lot of waiting for me. Shitty thing was they had an arcade, but the change machine was broken :( Oh yea, don't piss off anyone....or do anything stupid. They WILL let you know you fucked up.

After that, they swear you in, and ship you home.

All in all, it was actually a lot of fun, so enjoy it, you only get to do it once.

-Storm
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a goverment agency, that's why it takes so long :P Only thing they do with yer cock'n'balls is the old cough test. Its really not that bad at all. Which MEPS are you going to? The way my day went was like this.

Got there around 1800, met a few dudes. Marines, AF, Army, no navy that afternoon though.

Dinner was served right after we got there...free, all you can eat. I have to say, Uncle Sam sure knows how to treat future soliders well.

Me and a reserve guy went to Hooters that night...I'd never been, and he insisted. Glad I listened....some damn fine wiminz there.

All and all, the night that you are there you are left alone, at least down here. Don't drink.

First thing here they run you through the metal detector....don't bring a pocket knife or anything that can be considered a weapon. That'll ruin your day in a hurry.

Then, they go over some medical questions, the same that you did with your recruiter, but a bit more in depth.  Don't lie here, it IS for your own good.

Then, they go over the criminal history. If you have EVER been fingerprinted for a crime, they WILL find out. Come clean at this point. Parking tickets, speeding tickets, whatever. Ain't gonna hurt you to come clean, but it WILL if you don't.

If you haven't taken the ASVAB, you'll take that....real easy, I scored 90. Not bad for a HS dropout, so don't sweat that either.

Then the medical part.....I HATE going to the doctor, so I thought that would be the worst part. The only time you see a needle is when they do blood work. I hate needles, but it really isn't that bad at all. You have a piss test, then they strip you down to your boxers, and have you do a few excersises, real easy stuff. Then you go one on one with the doc. Checks your back and stuff....there was NO prodding places that didn't need to be prodded, to my pleasant suprise.

Then you have an eye and hearing test...which ain't bad at all.  They feed you lunch by the way. We got Subway, but I'm sure it varies from MEPS to MEPS.

Once all the testing is over with, you'll go see someone about getting your job. I felt really rushed to be honest once I went in there......that was about the only negitive experence that I had. Given, he was the only one there that day doing it, and we only had 20 mins to do everything before the swearing in ceremony. I wanted to do 25s at first....but it wasn't open for one reason or the other, so I chose my second choice. ALWAYS have a second choice beforehand.

Other that that, there was a lot of waiting for me. Shitty thing was they had an arcade, but the change machine was broken :( Oh yea, don't piss off anyone....or do anything stupid. They WILL let you know you fucked up.

All in all, it was actually a lot of fun, so enjoy it, you only get to do it once.

-Storm

I'll be going to Harrisburg when I take it. Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:51:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Storm

I'll be going to Harrisburg when I take it. Thanks for all the info.

Whats PLC, by the way?

-Storm
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Platoon Leaders Class, a way to earn a commission in the Marine Corps. I can't officially apply to PLC until I get my first semester grades, so the recruiting office is having me get everything done ahead of time so my application can be shipped out as soon as the second semester rolls around.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:59:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Platoon Leaders Class, a way to earn a commission in the Marine Corps. I can't officially apply to PLC until I get my first semester grades, so the recruiting office is having me get everything done ahead of time so my application can be shipped out as soon as the second semester rolls around.

Well good luck man.

-Storm
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top