Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2007 2:13:25 AM EDT
I was at Target the other day and saw these.  They had 2 different models for between $60-$80 or somewhere close.  They claim to be body composition monitors that can tell you body fat % and body water %, amongst other things.  Anybody know if these are accurate?  
www.tanita.com/BodyCompositionM.shtml
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking into those.  If you lift or work out a lot, you'll want to get the IRONMAN series.  I've had 2 of the Tanita models.  1st one was not rated for "athletic" people.  That scale is now with my parent's who live a sedimentary life style.

The 2nd one is the low end "athletic" model that they use to have.  I question the % of body fat on it, but I guess I can get off my lazy bum and do a caliper test tonight and compare it.

Hope this helps.

Hardwarz
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got one of the $50 models a week or so ago.   I read up a good amount on them, and they were reported to be one of the most consistent consumer scales available.   Note that consistent isn't the same thing as accurate - especially on the BF numbers.   I don't think you can really get an accurate BF measurement using those methods, but if it is at least a consistent measurement, you could track progress.   The scale has been very, very consistent on mine (multiple readings at the same time within .2 lbs), but I've seen from 10.5%-11.5% from morning to morning on the BF comp.   As a somewhat aside, I'd say I'm a bit less than that, but I haven't been measured in a while.

Note that many of the models (such as the one I got) only measure BF in .5% increments, which is a pretty large step and really makes it difficult to track progress.   The variance I'm seeing may be due to real fluctuation that is compounded by rounding errors.

FYI, the only brick and mortar store in my area I found to carry them was Bed, Bath, and Beyond.    They've always got 20% coupons going around (also accept coupons from Linens N' Things).  Seemed to work out to a better deal with the coupon than even ordering online.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one and I don't really trust the reading.  I am 6'1" tall, 175lb, and am very athletic and work out hard 5 days a week.  It says my BF is 18-20%, which seems high to me.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, today, I used the scale and a FatTrack II digital caliper.

Weight on my scale said: 198.5 (My older scale goes in .5 increments and rounds. It was varying between 198.0 and 198.5, so I went with the higher)

My scale said I have 31% BF.

I also did the FatTrack II digital calipers.  I measured chest, gut and quad (same place they test when I took the Kent, OH police test.)  It came up with 18.2% BF.

Remember, this is on a scale that is most likely +5 years old.

Hardwarz
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok, today, I used the scale and a FatTrack II digital caliper.

Weight on my scale said: 198.5 (My older scale goes in .5 increments and rounds. It was varying between 198.0 and 198.5, so I went with the higher)

My scale said I have 31% BF.

I also did the FatTrack II digital calipers.  I measured chest, gut and quad (same place they test when I took the Kent, OH police test.)  It came up with 18.2% BF.

Remember, this is on a scale that is most likely +5 years old.

Hardwarz

That is quite the discrepancy.  Wonder if the newer scales have improved.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That is quite the discrepancy.  Wonder if the newer scales have improved.  

The older scales defined "athletic" as working out 2-3x per week.  Now, I work out 3x per week, but I do a lot of free weights, not cardio.  My friend had the same type of scale, but she was a runner.  For her, the scale was right on.

Now, I'm not sure about the newer scales, but the older scales are sensitive to your hydration levels.  When I get out of the shower and towel off, my BF % is lower.  I think now the newer scales have hydration levels and BF percentages.

Like I said, I don't own a newer model.

Hardwarz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top