Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2003 11:27:47 AM EDT
How often do you talk to yourself?  Do you speak out loud?  Or do you speak silently inside your mind?  Do you talk to yourself while others are talking to you?  How about the wife?  How often a day do you do this?

Do you consider this normal and healthy?

Do you ever argue with yourself...outloud?

Is talking to yourself how you resolve issues?

Have other people caught you talking to yourself?

Were you talking about them at the time?

Do you talk to yourself more when you are drunk?

Do you load images from previous events while talking to yourself?

and.............

Whom do you think you are talking to anyways?  Is it a seperate part of your brain?

...yourself?
...your personna?
...split personality?
...the .gov boys?
...The Matrix "Reloaded" O/S?

Who is it exactly that you are talking to?

Do you still believe this is normal?

Now, I know some of you genuises out there will tell me that this where dreams and great idea are borne.  That "looking inward" reveals the mind.

Well, I doubt there are that many genuises out there.

I think most of us just like having someone to talk to that we get along with.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I talk to myself all the time.  Usually in my head, not out loud.  Sometimes the discussions get pretty heated.  I think it's a great way to work things out, or maybe I'm just crazy.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
yes i do
no you don't
yes.. i do
no you don't
do
don't
Do
DON'T !

[i]sigh[/i]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]
So.

While reading this post do you here the words in your head?

Who's voice is it?

your?

or..

mine?

Sgtar15

[white]And if it is my voice what do I sound like to you?[/white]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I talk to myself all the time.  Usually in my head, not out loud.  Sometimes the discussions get pretty heated.  I think it's a great way to work things out, or maybe I'm just crazy.  
View Quote

I was waiting for a flight at LaGuardia AP a number of years ago when nature called and I had to get to a shitter. As I walked into the bathroom I passed a guy, standing at a sink, talking to himself. I proceeded to sit down to do my business but the guy at the sink just kept talking to himself -- loudly. Moments passed and I realized he wasn't so much talking as he was arguing with himself. As time went on I further realized that not only was he arguing with himself but that he was losing the argument! I finished my business and washed up before heading out of the bathroom and out to where I had been sitting in the terminal, and about 20 mionutes later the same guy I'd met in the bathroom was walking down the aisle and he was still arguing with himself.

Years later I was waiting at the South Ferry terminal waiting for the ferry to Staten Island when I met not one but two individuals walking arround the inside of the terminal talking to themselves. They just kept walking in circles talking to themselves and not to anybody else.

It's pretty clear that there's a bunch of people hanging on by there fingernails!

Later,
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Do you consider this normal and healthy?
View Quote
Don't know.

Do you ever argue with yourself...outloud?
View Quote
 yup.

Is talking to yourself how you resolve issues?
View Quote
Sometimes.

Have other people caught you talking to yourself?
View Quote
yup

Were you talking about them at the time?
View Quote
Not that I remember.

Do you talk to yourself more when you are drunk?
View Quote
No, I talk in Spanish to people who don't when I'm drunk

Do you load images from previous events while talking to yourself?
View Quote
Occassionaly.

and.............

Whom do you think you are talking to anyways?  Is it a seperate part of your brain?  
Who is it exactly that you are talking to?
View Quote
He never tells me who he is.

TS

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#7]
when I go on long distance runs, I daydream
about things and talk about things silently to
myself to avoid boredom, this helps me to endure the miles of running, I may be thinking
of what Im going to eat for my next meal or
what Im going to do on the weekend.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Just hold a cell phone to your ear and you can talk to yourself anywhere and people won't even realize it [;)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't talk to myself.
The voices in my head keep interrupting me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Well who else would I talk to???
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#11]
When I come home from work, I open the door and say "hey, you ungrateful fucking bitch, I'm home". Ofcourse shes not home, shes living with her little boytoy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I must be talking to myself. I've got 8 employees, a wife and two kids. None of them seem to respond to anything I say.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#13]
When you have a speech to deliver, whether formal or informal, or are anticipating having to explain something,  talking it out for practice is very helpful.  It helps you to actually hear what works and what doesn't,  much better than just reading a statement in your head.

I also talk out problems that I'm having, sometimes, and it also helps me to see the solution as talking it out forces you to organize your thoughts in a manner that is easily communicated.

But I certainly don't argue with myself or talk to myself in public.  Nor do I walk around in circles.   I at least APPEAR to be perfectly normal.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just hold a cell phone to your ear and you can talk to yourself anywhere and people won't even realize it [;)]
View Quote

I keep getting a busy signal!

ED
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#15]
What? Yes, I like Ice Cream.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I spend a lot of time during the day alone...

2 weeks ago I went out of town for a week to hang out with my family...

several times a day it was made apparent to me that I talk to myself a lot , as the people around me kept saying "what" ? thinking I was talking to them...
so I realized that I have a pretty much constant running mumbling dialoge going on...

currently trying to break the habit...

t
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#18]
It doesn't matter what the voices in my head say, I only listen to the dog.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#19]
... and my dawg keeps teling me to stay home and clean my guns!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#20]
yes it's loads of fun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#21]
It's called, "Internal Chatter" everyone does it.[whacko]

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#22]
The little guy on my shoulder whispers in my ear.[smoke][:o)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I talk to myself in my head. I've also noticed that if I'm reading a good book (not at that second, but perhaps just finished reading some) I think in that author's writing style.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone once told me it's OK to talk to yourself.
Also to answer yourself.
You run into problem when you start saying
[b][red][size=6]HUH[/size=6][/red][/b]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#25]
My 13 year old son talks to his turd's, and sings on the crapper. I have been meaning to have a "discussion" with him about it. However, with the absence of anything that could be construed as "weed" or "rolling machine" during my last tossing of his room, has led me to believe that he is simply mentally ill like the rest of us.

[x]  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Talk to yourself...ok
Argue with yourself...Questionable
Loose argument....We have a problem

[whacko]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I talk to myself in my head. I've also noticed that if I'm reading a good book (not at that second, but perhaps just finished reading some) I think in that author's writing style.
View Quote

I do that to. Sometimes I also think in narrative form (does that make sense?).

In 9th grade social studies I was 'the kid that talks to himself'! [:D]  [whacko]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#28]
[b]I'm schizophrenic and so am I.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I use it to solve problems also. I have kind of a weird methodology for solving problems in my head too. I act as if I am set on one choice and then hear one side whine about how stupid it is. Then I do the same for the other option.

I also have a strange thought process which is much like a conversation with one person...I think of linked events/things, take for example this:
I think of ARs ---> So I think of the jamming issues ---> So I think of stuff that doesn't work ---> So I think of Mexicans and laugh to myself ---> So I think about illegal immigration --> So I think about 'Ranch Rescue' ---> So I think about what kind of gear they would have ---> So I think about what guns they would have ---> So I think about ARs again

It often goes in circles like this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I use it to solve problems also. I have kind of a weird methodology for solving problems in my head too. I act as if I am set on one choice and then hear one side whine about how stupid it is. Then I do the same for the other option.

I also have a strange thought process which is much like a conversation with one person...I think of linked events/things, take for example this:
I think of ARs ---> So I think of the jamming issues ---> So I think of stuff that doesn't work ---> So I think of Mexicans and laugh to myself ---> So I think about illegal immigration --> So I think about 'Ranch Rescue' ---> So I think about what kind of gear they would have ---> So I think about what guns they would have ---> So I think about ARs again

It often goes in circles like this.
View Quote

yes...the never ending circle
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd say the weirdest thing I do in my head is when I'm trying to do some sort of difficult geometry problem. I close my eyes and see the figure in my head, then use my hands to rotate/flip it (literally, my hands out in front of me, like each hand is holding something attached to one side of it). People look at me funny, but it works wonders. It's almost like a 3D CAD program in my head. Also, say if I wanted to look at a hexagonal prism, I'd 'hold' the hexagon with one hand and 'stretch' it out into a prism with the other.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I wonder if the unabomber talked to himself aloud in that one room cabin?

I generally don't talk aloud, sometimes to myself.  What I find scary is in the summer when people have their windows open and I walk by I hear a lot of people talking to themselves, and from what I over hear, it's mostly about a bad day at work with the boss.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I talk to my dog Debo more than I talk to myself. He likes me more than I do.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I talk to myself and talk when doing it I love doing it in the front yard I will just walk around having a conversation with myself.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Depends on the circumstances.

Some people can't handle confrontation, and will simply just not deal with *any* issues that cause stress.  I know a few people like that, and instead of arguing with them about anything, I'll just go off and ramble my points to myself just to get it off my chest so it doesn't eat at me all day long.

I find that to be somewhat therapeudic, as it allows me to vent and put an issue behind me, while at the same time avoiding a potentially nasty situation when it really isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I talk to my dogs.

It's probably not normal or healthy.

I NEVER argue with myself, that's what the wife is for.

I do talk to myself when I'm drunk, but I can't be understood because I slur.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't normally talk to myself aloud, but I will start mumbling incoherently when meeting new people just to make an impression. [:)]

Silently though, it never stops.  I constantly have ideas running through my head in either verbal or graphic form.  People that call me on the phone and when I answer they ask me if they either inturrupted me or I was sleeping because I usually sound annoyed by the inturuption or was in a kind of trance thinking things out.

Sniper_Wolfe - you are lucky you grew up with computers...  For math problems, I have a mental chalkboard instead of your updated 3D screen.  I used to do long complex math problems in my head that way and amaze instructors.... They would ask how I did that without writing anything down or taking the 20 or so steps necessary, when in fact I DID write it down. - just in my head.
View Quote

I do the same sort of thing. In fact, I have in the past (and most likely will next year with Alg.II) had points taken off or have had teachers assumed I copied because of this. I don't write stuff down. If I do, I always scratch it out, or do not show what problem it's from. A little quirk, I suppose. It just bothers me to have some sort of written way for me to have done my work. Lots of times I come up with shortcuts, too, that we're not taught.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I usually pray out loud. About whatever. If something is bothering me, I'll tell whoever up there who is willing to listen to me. Mostly when I'm alone in my room.

Or I talk to myself when I know that my roomate can hear me. He thinks its funny but I do it on purpose.

When I ride my ATV I'm usually not silent either. Usually yelling something random.

But I don't have conversations with myself. I actually did a sociology paper on a guy in NYC that was talking to himself on the subway. It was a long ride and I was within earshot and listened to his whole conversation till I got off the train. I got an A for analyzing his ramblings.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#42]
When I'm home alone sometimes I sing.  Does that count? [8D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So.

While reading this post do you here the words in your head?

Who's voice is it?

your?

or..

mine?

Sgtar15

[white]And if it is my voice what do I sound like to you?[/white]
View Quote

I'll have to get back to you on that when I figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do the same sort of thing. In fact, I have in the past (and most likely will next year with Alg.II) had points taken off or have had teachers assumed I copied because of this. I don't write stuff down. If I do, I always scratch it out, or do not show what problem it's from. A little quirk, I suppose. It just bothers me to have some sort of written way for me to have done my work. Lots of times I come up with shortcuts, too, that we're not taught.
View Quote

Yep.  I even got sent to a math tutor once because i was failing math.  The instructor was failing me for not showing my work ( I hated the ones that did that).  I spent the first 1 hour session showing the tutor some shortcuts and she told me not to come back.
View Quote

I've never failed a class because of it. Usually I 'break' the teacher into not caring by refusing to do it yet showing I can. Most get mad when I correct them or show them shortcuts. Luckily this year my teacher is great and gives us bonus points on the tests/quizzes if we do stuff like that. I've heard the 'horror stories' [;)] of the teacher I'll have next year, though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My 13 year old son talks to his turd's, and sings on the crapper. I have been meaning to have a "discussion" with him about it. However, with the absence of anything that could be construed as "weed" or "rolling machine" during my last tossing of his room, has led me to believe that he is simply mentally ill like the rest of us.

[x]  
View Quote

TMI!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I talk whatever it is that i am typing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top