Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/1/2005 6:55:42 PM EDT
jump seated into Philly to see my Philly over the weekend, and had a few minutes to talk to an Army guy while I was waiting for the Philly to pick me up.

Guy was my age (40), been in the Army since high school, and was wearing his desert fatigues to spend a couple weeks home before going back to Iraq. Being ex-Air Force, I asked him what rank he was since I don't understand the Army insignia. Said he was E-8.

Asked him how things were going over in Iraq. He said it's tough, but that we are making progress. I asked him if they were getting enough chow, ammo, equipment, etc., and he said yeah, no problem with that stuff.

Asked him the the typical dumb question of "ever been shot at"? He showed me the back of his skull where a bullet had grazed the back of his skull. Actually, the bullet had penetrated his helmet and went in the back part of his skull and came out the other side. All I could say was "damn". He said it didn't hit his brain. Just grazed the back of his head. Took a piece of skull, but didn't hit his brain.

I asked him how the moral was over there. He said it was pretty good. The guys are doing pretty good, miss home, but they know they've got a job to finish.

By that time, my Philly had pulled up to pick me up, but I wished him the best, told him there are many of us (mentioned AR15.com to him) thinking of the boys over there, stay safe, and before I got in the car, I asked him one more question:

"Are you going back over to Iraq"? He said "yeah, I would like to finish out my career with my men..........I worry about them." ...............all I could muster out of my mouth was.........."damn, you are sincerely an American hero.......God be with you." And then I got in the car with my chicky poo and we drove off.

Somehow I feel like my 4 years in the Air Force 20 years ago drinking beer, chasing skirts, etc., was a waste.

I am not qualified to even stand in the same room with that guy. What a class act.

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:57:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:57:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 6:58:31 PM EDT by fight4yourrights]

Originally Posted By vmax84:

jump seated into Philly to see my Philly over the weekend, and had a few minutes to talk to an Army guy while I was waiting for the Philly to pick me up.

WTF is a "Philly"? Do you mean "filly"?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:00:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

Girlfriend.

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:00:32 PM EDT

It's either a lovely creature with long legs and big eyes, or a horse.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:04:02 PM EDT
Philly = Philadelphia, aka Filthadelpia

Filly = 1 : a young female horse usually of less than four years
2 : a young woman : GIRL
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:04:34 PM EDT

I am not qualified to even stand in the same room with that guy. What a class act.

vmax84

I know how you feel... I served in the 1st Gulf War. Pppfffft big deal

These new kids are my heroes!

fight4yourrights, I think Vmax is thinking: filly, a young female horse ( under 4 years old )
I have heard it to describe a Nubile Young Lovely...

LB
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:10:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

It's either a lovely creature with long legs and big eyes, or a horse.

Female horse 3 years and under to be specific. A male horse 3 & under is, of course, a colt.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:10:36 PM EDT
I have always been interested with individuals who have been in harms way, and this guy was simply amazing. Cool, calm, sure of himself..............this guy was very interesting!

He seemed more interested in bringing his men back in one piece than his own safety. Utterly amazing individual.

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:11:24 PM EDT
"Army guy"...?

I think you mean soldier
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:16:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dskeet:
"Army guy"...?

I think you mean soldier

I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction.

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:18:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dskeet:
"Army guy"...?

I think you mean soldier

Like I said, it was an honor to talk to this man.

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:27:52 PM EDT
I hear ya. I'm not trying to be an ass, just giving you a hard time
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:31:34 PM EDT

vmax84

Vmax84: I bet you made his day though, to say the words you did to him. Probably our troops don't hear enough of that. Good on you.

A guy I know is in Afghanistan right now as a medic. Me and a retired USAF NCO took him to the range to practice with an AR-15A2 and a Beretta 92FS. At some point I was talking to him on email and remembered to ask what kind of magazines does he have for his M9. He replied they are all Checkmate brand. AAAGH. I mailed him 4 brand new 15 round Beretta OEM mags. I wish I could do more. It seems like such a small gesture for one of our boys in-country. I know his mother is worried to death about him, though fortunately his unit makes darn sure he doesn't stick his neck out too far (in indian country he's the only one who can do what he does, and that's saving other injured troops).

It still blows my mind when I think of what he's doing and he's only 19. I know war is a young man's thing, always has been, always will, but to me 19 is still a kid, just a kid who thinks he's a man.

Top Top