Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 2:49:43 PM EDT
I have been noticing many of our guys with the little commercial walkie talkies. I guess they are for inter-squad commo? Pretty good idea, I would think. Those things are pretty reliable.

Wonder if the guys are buying them themselves or are they unit issue?

Anyone know anything about any of that?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think its an inner-unit or for use in each compound.
Just mt thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
We all use those things every year when we go hunting. Those and four-wheelers are the two best things every invented for hunting....
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna weigh in here..

Everybody uses them for nonsecure comms now.  It's frucking unbelievable.  You can go to FTX and every swinging dick has a Talkabout clipped to his LBE.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Around here (Luke AFB) its the motorola cell phones with the two way radio feature. All the security policemen you see at the gates have them.

Course they don't have cellular service in Iraq anymore, but when it gets back up they will probably show up there too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
the talkabouts are not issue. it was a major problem in bosnia because they were being employed at the company level where secure comms really should be used. that being said...i have 4 motorola 6900 GMRS radios i share with the the other 3 squad leaders in my platoon and along with VOX mics i have found them to be unbelievably effective. especially at night. sometimes you just have to communicate off the net and the talkabouts provide an effective backchannel. good discipline is essential because even though youre off the net its very unsecure. use callsigns and never speak of troop strength. GPS grids, or time hacks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
They also (USMC) brought a crapload of commercial GPS's before leaving as well.

Kind of weird thinking some 18 year old kid's life is depending on reading the user's manual of a consumer product.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the talkabouts are not issue. it was a major problem in bosnia because they were being employed at the company level where secure comms really should be used. that being said...i have 4 motorola 6900 GMRS radios i share with the the other 3 squad leaders in my platoon and along with VOX mics i have found them to be unbelievably effective. especially at night. sometimes you just have to communicate off the net and the talkabouts provide an effective backchannel. good discipline is essential because even though youre off the net its very unsecure. use callsigns and never speak of troop strength. GPS grids, or time hacks.
View Quote

One thing I've done that helps is that I run a modded Yaesu FT-50 HT on the FRS channels.  I can dial its output back to some ridiculously low level like 30 milliwatts.  It's harder to DF on than a 1W signal, especially if you keep it short-short.  I just tell whoever I'm speaking to not to respond.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top