Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 8:25:28 PM EST
I've been hired part time to help these guys test out a telemarketing campaign to increase memberships to WorkingAmerica.org

It seems to me that they use their members to intimidate lawmakers to do what they want and to get politicians they support elected to office.

Tonight was my first night there as the "Phone Bank Manager" and I'm feeling like either they are not who they say they are or people in general just do not care about health care reform, education reform, retirement security, Unemployment, or anything else for that matter.

The purpose of the call was to offer them a free membership to www.workingamerica.org but not many people were interested.....

In fact out of 500 plus calls only 18 people joined. Of course there was a very low contact rate of a little over 10%....but most of the people I talked to when I was making calls were not interested in making a difference.

Are they waiting for somebody else to make the difference for them? Or is this Union support organization not very popular?

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:42:48 PM EST
There is a big disconnect between Most union leaders, most union members and most Americans. And I expect that when you start talking to people over the phone over those reforms they see another hand dipping into their pocket. Union membership is plummeting except in government and illegal alien sectors.

Besides, I've only been getting calls from politicians lately, why would I want to talk to some Union Scam artist ALSO not telling me the truth.

Ask a Lawyer
Can your boss get away with that? Working America wants you to know your workplace rights.

My Bad Boss
Who was the worst of the bad bosses last year, and how does your boss measure up? Read the winning stories here.

http://www.workingamerica.org/memberquotes.cfm
Working America and the AFL-CIO are conducting our nationwide survey of what it's like to be a working woman. hmm Working America is PART of the AFL-CIO

People generally like unions less than they like politicians.

Maybe 50+ years ago they were a good thing. But they aren't now.

(and I currently am a Teamster (involuntarily) and was a Retail Clerk. I know how screwy they can get even staying away from the more colorful history of the Teamsters)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:49:03 PM EST
They're just to the left of Lenin, politically. That's all you really need to know.

I work at a shop that's been printing their propaganda for many years, I have to check my gag-reflex every time I work on that crap.
Top Top