Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/21/2006 1:33:01 PM EDT
I have decided that I would like to listen to some music while riding my motorcycle. I wear a full face helmet and can easily wear sunglasses , so a pair of earbuds should be no problem too.

I have been told that an i-pod would fit the bill.

Only problem is that I know NOTHING about them.

I know I want it to be small, light, run for at least 8 hours on a full charge (do they re-charge or take batteries?), hold a crapload of songs, and be REALLY easy to use.

Hell, I don't even know how to get songs into one.

Little help???
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:34:43 PM EDT
Before you go dropping serious cash on one you better make sure that they are legal to listen to while on a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:35:57 PM EDT
iPods are the best mp3 player available, nothing else comes remotely close.

You do recharge them, and the newer ones have very good battery life. Even my old one lasts around 9 hours still.

You will need a computer to get the songs onto one. Along with itunes, they are very easy to use, create playlists, and edit song information.

If you want it to hold a whole lot of songs, dont consider anything smaller than the ipod nano. I have a 60 gig model myself, and I nearly have it full. More music that I could ever listen to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:39:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:41:58 PM EDT
Go iPod shuffle. So light and portable. My shuffle gets used all the time now, reg iPod sits in the desk.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:45:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:
img65.imageshack.us/img65/695/ipodboim7ay.gif

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:57:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:02:53 PM EDT
Your ears can save your life on a bike. Don't plug them up with an Ipod.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:03:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

I wouldn't say that. I have an iRiver model that at the time had a hell of a lot more features than any Ipod available, plus the battery life was better. I've never had a problem with it. I think Ipods are just trendy that people get caught up in the hype. That being said I'm sure an ipod would work just great for you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:03:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sylvan:

Originally Posted By walrus:
Go iPod shuffle. So light and portable. My shuffle gets used all the time now, reg iPod sits in the desk.

Nano is the best of both worlds.

I have the Nano and the 1GB shuffle and the shuffle gets much more use. It weighs almost nothing and holds 250 songs for $149.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:04:29 PM EDT
I've got a little Rio nitrus player, kinda old but I dont have to worry about practicing a lisp or a limp wrist like Ipod owners do(its in the Ipod owners agreement)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:06:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By triburst1:

Originally Posted By Sylvan:

Originally Posted By walrus:

Nano is the best of both worlds.

I have the Nano and the 1GB shuffle and the shuffle gets much more use. It weighs almost nothing and holds 250 songs for $149.

+1, in addition, no fucking wheel and shit to find one song. Just press the next button, takes a second. You can put the songs in order of how you'd like to listen them, or have a random shuffle (hence the name).
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:07:48 PM EDT
iPods are just a fad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:11:06 PM EDT

What legal download site do you use?

I'm contemplating using AllofMP3.com . Its the Russian site with 10 cent per song downloads.

Any one use it?

69 or 79 cents per song is ust way too much money.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:13:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:16:37 PM EDT

You do recharge them, and the newer ones have very good battery life. Even my old one lasts around 9 hours still.

You will need a computer to get the songs onto one. Along with itunes, they are very easy to use, create playlists, and edit song information.

If you want it to hold a whole lot of songs, dont consider anything smaller than the ipod nano. I have a 60 gig model myself, and I nearly have it full. More music that I could ever listen to.

That's a matter of opinion and it's certainly not mine. I researched a lot of mp3 players and IPOD did not impress me in the least. The database it uses is based on the MP3 tags. Which is not good for me since I usually download entire albums and if the tags aren't perfect it's a mess, You have to use itunes to load songs, and the sound quality is average at best.

After much research I bought the Cowon IAUDIO 30gb (they make a 60 gb now) it handles all sorts of file types including ogg and flac. You don't need any special software at all just plug it into a USB port and it shows up as a drive, simply drag and drop your music. This also allows it to double as an external hard drive, EXTREMLEY useful. It doesn't use a database, music is sorted by folders and filenames just like windows explorer. I love this feature because it doesn't matter if some of your tags are a little off. It supports bookmarks which I use all the time cuz I download 2 hour radio shows, so when I quit in the middle I can just bookmark it and go back where I left off whenever I get around to it. It also does video and pictures and has a built in USB host so I can hook it to my digital camera and download pictures to it (IPOD can do this if you buy an add on accessory). It's made of metal and feels solid. I've had it for several months and the screen is scratch free (some people say the IPOD screen scratches easily). But best of all, the sound quality is far better than the IPOD.

The IPOD may still be the best fit for you, but don't just buy into the IPOD hype, look around a little you may find something you like better.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:19:27 PM EDT
ipods are quality, but are wayyy over-rated and over-priced.. you pay more for less with the ipods (essentially the name).
Check out some of the mp3 players from iRiver and iAudio
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:28:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JeromeAvers:
Your ears can save your life on a bike. Don't plug them up with an Ipod.

Dude, with a full face helmet, wind noise, and fairly loud pipes, just what sounds are my ears going to hear? Someone yelling? Nope. A dog barking? Nope. A car horn. Yes, and I bet even with music in my ears I will still hear a car horn.

Hell, most people who use a full face wear ear plugs anyway to keep out wind noise. What difference does it make if the plugs have music coming out of them?

Your EYES are your friend on a bike.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:33:46 PM EDT
Just to let you know....it's NOT LEGAL to use headphones while in a car or on a bike. Don't get caught anyways.

Other than that...I own the 4gb iPod Nano. It's great. Does everything I want it to do and more. Great quality. Nothing else is as good. iPod has a great warranty as well. Don't buy some POS. you do pay a little more for the name...but it's still worth it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:34:54 PM EDT
Thanks for the tips thusfar. I am not strictly locked into i-pod, I was just using that name as an example. I guess I should have said MP3 player.

So, I still don't know how to load songs.

Can I put a C/D into my computer and put the songs from it onto the i-pod, and how does one go about doing so?

What about downloading music. I am really not into paying .99 or even .50 for a stupid song that comes over the radio for free.

The whole music piracy thing is a fucking joke. But that is another topic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 2:46:15 PM EDT by Hydguy]

Originally Posted By jfrush:

That's a matter of opinion and it's certainly not mine. I researched a lot of mp3 players and IPOD did not impress me in the least. The database it uses is based on the MP3 tags. Which is not good for me since I usually download entire albums and if the tags aren't perfect it's a mess, You have to use itunes to load songs, and the sound quality is average at best.YOu haven't listened to any ACC encoded files have you? ACC is a lossless compression, unlike MP3, and even at lower rates, it sounds better than an MP3.

After much research I bought the Cowon IAUDIO 30gb (they make a 60 gb now) it handles all sorts of file types including ogg and flac. You don't need any special software at all just plug it into a USB port and it shows up as a drive,My iPod can be used as an external drive without any problems. simply drag and drop your music. This also allows it to double as an external hard drive, EXTREMLEY usefulSee last statement. It doesn't use a database, music is sorted by folders and filenames just like windows explorer.So the format is different. So What? THat means that I don't have to wade through a ton of files to find what I have stored on iPod during disk mode. I love this feature because it doesn't matter if some of your tags are a little off. It supports bookmarks which I use all the time cuz I download 2 hour radio shows, so when I quit in the middle I can just bookmark it and go back where I left off whenever I get around to it.podcasts have the same feature on the iPod, as do the videos. You can enable and disable the feature in each individual podcast of video/movie It also does video and pictures and has a built in USB host so I can hook it to my digital camera and download pictures to it (IPOD can do this if you buy an add on accessory)THe iPod can display pics WITHOUT any accessories. If you want to be abble to download directly to the ipod, without using a computer, you need the adapter. But that is because the iPod has a different type of port than a USB port, which allows it to be very thin. An iPod is barely thicker than the plug port of a USB hub. If it used an actual USB port, the iPod would have to be thicker.. It's made of metal and feels solid. I've had it for several months and the screen is scratch free (some people say the IPOD screen scratches easily). But best of all, the sound quality is far better than the IPOD.How so? Have you had the sound tested by an audiophile? Or done any real research on sound quality? Hell, AS deaf as I am, I can tell the difference between a low bitrate encoding and a higher one, but all the ACC files sound flawless. Hell, If you are that anal about sound, why are you even listening to a digital medium? It cannot get the higs and clairity of analog. Records sound better than CDs because of that.

The IPOD may still be the best fit for you, but don't just buy into the IPOD hype, look around a little you may find something you like better.

ANd another thing, when you buy an ipod, it's storage capacity is based on 128bit Mp3 files, which average about 2.5 -3.5 megs. All windo only song players say they can store as many songs, but at a MUCH LOWER (64-92) bitrate.

And m4a is much better than MP3 and WMA. AS a matter of fact, I think the WMA is probably the WORST codex out there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:47:21 PM EDT

They are also VERY easy to corrupt the file system on.
There's many better WAY cheaper options.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:49:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hydguy:
And m4a is much better than MP3 and WMA. AS a matter of fact, I think the WMA is probably the WORST codex out there.

Nobody uses wma's anyways.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:53:29 PM EDT

img65.imageshack.us/img65/695/ipodboim7ay.gif

That picture is very disturbing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:56:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rmstrjim:

You're joking, right? Winamp encodes in WMA by default.

Most protected CD's cannot be ripped by winamp, but can be ripped by iTunes, because of the type of encoding used.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:58:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hydguy:YOu haven't listened to any ACC encoded files have you? ACC is a lossless compression, unlike MP3, and even at lower rates, it sounds better than an MP3.

The tracks you buy from itunes are not lossless.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 3:03:27 PM EDT by Red_Beard]

Originally Posted By rmstrjim:

What about m4a makes it "much better" than mp3?

... and what about WMA other than the DRM crap is so bad that it's the "WORST codec out there"?

edit: found the answer to aac(m4a) vs. mp3 via google

AAC's improvements over MP3

Some of its advances:

* Sample frequencies from 8 Hz to 96 kHz (official MP3: 16 Hz to 48 kHz)
* Up to 48 channels
* Higher efficiency and simpler filterbank (hybrid → pure MDCT)
* Higher coding efficiency for stationary signals (blocksize: 576 → 1024 samples)
* Higher coding efficiency for transient signals (blocksize: 192 → 128 samples)
* Much better handling of frequencies above 16 kHz
* More flexible joint stereo (separate for every scale band)

What this all means to the listener is better and more stable quality than MP3 at equivalent or slightly lower bitrates.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:02:34 PM EDT

Even though I love iPods...I still thought this was kinda funny.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:03:41 PM EDT
I have a 60gig color, a 2gig Nano and a 1gig Shuffle. I love them all. I would not have bought multiples of the same brand/type were they not the shit. I use the 60g for very high bitrate Grateful Dead concerts, over 148 so far at at least 320kbps and only half full. Oh, and all of my other music from my entire life is on there, too. Don't hate the player people, hate the game!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:13:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hydguy:YOu haven't listened to any ACC encoded files have you? ACC is a lossless compression, unlike MP3, and even at lower rates, it sounds better than an MP3.

That is true, but you can encode using ACC, which IS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:21:29 PM EDT

That is true, but you can encode using ACC, which IS.

AAC can encode at a many different bitrates both lossy and lossless.

Windows media also has a lossless option.

You typically wouldn't store lossless tracks on your portable player since they take up so much space.

When I'm in my truck driving I can't tell the difference between any of them once you get around the quality of 128k lame encoded mp3 files.

For my archive at home I rip all of my discs to FLAC lossless format. Then in each flac folder I have a subfolder with a version of the CD encoded with 64k .wma files because they're the smallest ones of decent quality that my audio player can play. 64k .wma sounds about like FM radio to me.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:24:19 PM EDT
check this out for info on lossless compression formats:

wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:17:03 PM EDT

That's a matter of opinion and it's certainly not mine. I researched a lot of mp3 players and IPOD did not impress me in the least. The database it uses is based on the MP3 tags. Which is not good for me since I usually download entire albums and if the tags aren't perfect it's a mess, You have to use itunes to load songs, and the sound quality is average at best.YOu haven't listened to any ACC encoded files have you? ACC is a lossless compression, unlike MP3, and even at lower rates, it sounds better than an MP3.

After much research I bought the Cowon IAUDIO 30gb (they make a 60 gb now) it handles all sorts of file types including ogg and flac. You don't need any special software at all just plug it into a USB port and it shows up as a drive,My iPod can be used as an external drive without any problems. simply drag and drop your music. This also allows it to double as an external hard drive, EXTREMLEY usefulSee last statement. It doesn't use a database, music is sorted by folders and filenames just like windows explorer.So the format is different. So What? THat means that I don't have to wade through a ton of files to find what I have stored on iPod during disk mode. I love this feature because it doesn't matter if some of your tags are a little off. It supports bookmarks which I use all the time cuz I download 2 hour radio shows, so when I quit in the middle I can just bookmark it and go back where I left off whenever I get around to it.podcasts have the same feature on the iPod, as do the videos. You can enable and disable the feature in each individual podcast of video/movie It also does video and pictures and has a built in USB host so I can hook it to my digital camera and download pictures to it (IPOD can do this if you buy an add on accessory)THe iPod can display pics WITHOUT any accessories. If you want to be abble to download directly to the ipod, without using a computer, you need the adapter. But that is because the iPod has a different type of port than a USB port, which allows it to be very thin. An iPod is barely thicker than the plug port of a USB hub. If it used an actual USB port, the iPod would have to be thicker.. It's made of metal and feels solid. I've had it for several months and the screen is scratch free (some people say the IPOD screen scratches easily). But best of all, the sound quality is far better than the IPOD.How so? Have you had the sound tested by an audiophile? Or done any real research on sound quality? Hell, AS deaf as I am, I can tell the difference between a low bitrate encoding and a higher one, but all the ACC files sound flawless. Hell, If you are that anal about sound, why are you even listening to a digital medium? It cannot get the higs and clairity of analog. Records sound better than CDs because of that.

ANd another thing, when you buy an ipod, it's storage capacity is based on 128bit Mp3 files, which average about 2.5 -3.5 megs. All windo only song players say they can store as many songs, but at a MUCH LOWER (64-92) bitrate.

Just to clear up a few things:

I'm glad you like the mp3 tag database system the IPOD and most other Mp3 players use but I don't . And when I'm buying an Mp3 player for me What I like is all that matters. Also having to use itunes to load music is a deal breaker for me, I shouldn't have to use proprietary software to put music on my Mp3 player. I like to drag and drop and arrange my music by folders.

I'm not anal about sound quality but it does matter. I have listened to both an IPOD and my Iaudio and my Iaudio sounds much better to me, better midrange and Bass. When I listened to the IPOD it had a tinny sound I did not like at all. This also seems to be the consensus of a lot of people that switched from IPOD to Iaudio so it's not that I have bad hearing or got a hold of a defective or improperly adjusted IPOD. Yes I read some technichal comparisons between the two and the Iaudio had better sound quality than the IPOD. But in the end the only thing that matters is how it sounds to ME.

I could care less about ACC or any other compression scheme as I only listen to MP3's.

I wasn't aware the IPOD could be used as an external hard drive cuz frankly I had already ruled it out due to other factors such as the mp3 tag database and sound quality.

I know the IPOD can display pictures without an accessory but you can't use it to download pictures directly from a digital camera without one. So if that's a feature someone wants (I Did) then your looking at another $40 or so bucks.

Note everything I mentioned is a matter of preference. If your happy with your IPOD that's great. It's a fine MP3 player. I was simply trying to point out there are other choices than the IPOD. And some may be better suited to his needs.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:14:25 PM EDT

Just to clear up a few things:

I'm glad you like the mp3 tag database system the IPOD and most other Mp3 players use but I don't . And when I'm buying an Mp3 player for me What I like is all that matters. Also having to use itunes to load music is a deal breaker for me, I shouldn't have to use proprietary software to put music on my Mp3 player. I like to drag and drop and arrange my music by folders.Since only about half of my music is mp3, how is it an 'mp3 database'? YOu mean the fact that it reads IDtags? All mp3 files use a tag, so your point is moot there.

I'm not anal about sound quality but it does matter. I have listened to both an IPOD and my Iaudio and my Iaudio sounds much better to me, better midrange and Bass. When I listened to the IPOD it had a tinny sound I did not like at all. This also seems to be the consensus of a lot of people that switched from IPOD to Iaudio so it's not that I have bad hearing or got a hold of a defective or improperly adjusted IPOD. Yes I read some technichal comparisons between the two and the Iaudio had better sound quality than the IPOD. But in the end the only thing that matters is how it sounds to ME.

I could care less about ACC or any other compression scheme as I only listen to MP3's.Sorry to tell you this, but mp3 is old school, and is not nearly as good as m4a, or acc. FLAC is a pain, and the files are huge. Never used the other.

I wasn't aware the IPOD could be used as an external hard drive cuz frankly I had already ruled it out due to other factors such as the mp3 tag database and sound quality.But you said you ruled it out because the Iaudio could be used as an external drive, whereas the iPod couldn't. Which means that you didn't look into the iPod much. AS for sound quality, my iPods have sounded just like the radio, or the speakers on my comp, so I have no idea what 'tinny' sound you are talking about. And the bass sounds just fine.

I know the IPOD can display pictures without an accessory but you can't use it to download pictures directly from a digital camera without one. So if that's a feature someone wants (I Did) then your looking at another $40 or so bucks.

Note everything I mentioned is a matter of preference. If your happy with your IPOD that's great. It's a fine MP3 player. I was simply trying to point out there are other choices than the IPOD. And some may be better suited to his needs.Is the Iaudio a flash memory player, or an actual hard drive?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:01:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 6:03:57 PM EDT by Red_Beard]

Originally Posted By Hydguy:Since only about half of my music is mp3, how is it an 'mp3 database'? YOu mean the fact that it reads IDtags? All mp3 files use a tag, so your point is moot there.

He means that the ipod and other players that he rejects organize your music according to the tags. They ignore any kind of folder structure and get everything from the tags. So having all of your files in a single folder is just as good as having them in an organized tree of folders. Some players will use the directory structure you create as their way of organizing the music into menus ... as opposed to creating a database from the tag information.

I prefer the tag database method ... just because I've made sure that all of my archived stuff has good complete tag information.

Sorry to tell you this, but mp3 is old school, and is not nearly as good as m4a, or acc. FLAC is a pain, and the files are huge. Never used the other.

I don't agree with "not nearly as good". For me they're close enough that it doesn't matter. Once you get above 160k bitrate or so you'll have a hard time telling the difference in sound between them unless you're listening through real high end gear ... and if you're doing that you shouldn't be using compression at all. At most you might get a little file size advantage.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:14:16 AM EDT
Guy's, while all of this bickering back and forth about ACC vs MP3 is real nice, it doesn't solve the original question

I am not looking for the highest, best clarity, do all, end all player. I just want something to listen to while I am on the road.

And I still don't know how to take a song from my C/D and put it into the player. Can someone explain that?

I figure the shuffle will be the way to go for me. Small, holds a decent amount of songs, and I really don't need to be looking at a screen while riding. It will go in my jacket pocket, I will turn it on, it will play, I will listen, end of story!
Top Top