Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 6:14:12 AM EDT
Norton is set to expire within a week (freebie on the new computer).  Mcafee? Stopsign?  Which is best/cost effective?

SRM
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I only use panda's free online scan for my AV protection.  I have yet to have a problem with a virus. Ever.  Common sense goes a long way to protecting yourself, as does never ever using Outlook or Outlook Express.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#2]
just renew norton.

it's still the best out there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
just renew norton.
it's still the best out there.

I agree with Beernut. I use Norton 2004 at home, we use Norton Corporate Edition here at work,
and I've never had a problem. Like Commish said, common sense as far as Internet usage will go a
long way, but you need the A/V software regardless, as even the most innocent webpage can harbor
a virus from a hacker w/o the pages owner knowing it.

I tried Panda once, as it came as the installed A/V software w/ our new PC, but dropped it like a
grenade after downloading the update definitions, only to find that their own def file was contaminated
with a virus. Screw that! Never did get a response to my e-mail to them about that...... ah well.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#5]
i guess im with everybody so far on this post. i use norton on 2 pc and i use avg on 2 pc.  one of the norton will become avg when it expires in about 2 weeks. i like both. Ronald
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Trend-Micro works well for me.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#7]
norton- but may want to look at purchasing it from compusa, etc instead of renew.  Right after I renewed it last year, they had it on sale for 1/2 the price i paid to renew it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#8]
As we speak, my friend is having virus issues on his work PC, and his company runs the best AV Norton has.  Norton is turning up no viruses, but I told him to try panda scan and it's finding hits.  I don't know why everyone keeps using Norton... I guess it's why everyone keeps using IE and Outlook :)
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
AVG
it has found things noton has missed more than once and it's free.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Norton Professional Edition here, since early 2003.

NO problems so far. Renewal for 2004 was $21.50.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Another satisfied AVG user here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top