Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2007 9:55:54 AM EDT
Can I use a regular phone?  How does it work?  Their website is not so helpful...
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope but you can buy handsets at walmart.. I use it to talk international.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I have friends who are missionaries in China.  They were called into the National Police Headquarters and their Skype conversations were played back to them.  I guess they are not secure anymore...
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I ditched my hardline dialtone in 2000

I pitched my Cell phone in 2003

All I use is skype now. I have bought both SkypeIn and SkypeOut services.

Things that skype has issues with:

a} Music on hold

b} Touch tone menus.

c} continous streams of sound in general.

Don't talk like an auctioneer. A ever so light pause between sentences allows the compression software to get caught up / stay caught up so that the other party won't be able to tell your on a VIOP connection.

I use Skype on Comcast's bottom of the line cable interent.

And as far as the Big Brother issues - Everyone is listening... Get over it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#4]
The times I've tried it, the person on the other end could barely hear what I was saying.  I think it has serious volume-control problems.  I found it to be effectively useless.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used it to talk around the world. Never had any problems with it.

(I'm referring to the old PC version. I'ver never used the newer Skype phones...)

Link Posted: 9/8/2007 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have friends who are missionaries in China.  They were called into the National Police Headquarters and their Skype conversations were played back to them.  I guess they are not secure anymore...

when WERE phones secure ?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I use skype to talk to my wife in the States and it works great for me.  Saves me money where I dont have to buy phone cards.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]
any more input concerning a corporate environment?

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I use it for video teleconferencing with people I am collaborating with.  Pretty good for free.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
any more input concerning a corporate environment?

It's a bandwidth hog and security hole.

Skype turns your computer into a relay and uses it to route other calls
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I have used Lingo myself for the last 3 years and never a problem unless the power went out.  I even pay $10 extra a month and they gave me a number in the UK that my family uses to call me so saving them money as well.

I tried Skype a couple times and had too many issues with it:  poor sound quality being the major one.

ETA:  My calls in the US are unlimited as are my calls to the UK (unless I call a mobile phone there, in which case they do charge for the call)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I used Skype on my Mac and it worked great for both phone calls and IM.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got Skype. Lets me talk to a friend in England for free.

Of course, the conversations are one-sided since I can't afford a headset for my computer yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top