Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 11:46:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2015 12:00:16 PM EDT by NoMoAMMO]
Looking for something decent (not great) that wont break the bank.

Has anybody used this model:
http://www.amazon.com/V1-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Detection/dp/B00X528FNE/ref=sr_1_6?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1441294976&sr=1-6&keywords=dash+cam
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:01:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:03:05 PM EDT

I have a Garmin Dash Cam 20 and like it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:03:40 PM EDT
I have a G1W which I got from Amazon for $60 or something. I absolutely love it. Excellent cam for not a lot of coin. Great reviews sold me on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:07:19 PM EDT
Garmin has a new GPS unit that also contains a dash cam.  $399.99 I think
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:11:41 PM EDT
My question with dash cams is do they automatically turn on when you start the car and will they continuously record over old footage when memory gets full?

Would like something that's totally set it and forget it.  Having to turn the thing on every time I get in the car and then having to manually delete old files would be a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:12:16 PM EDT
I actually used mine the other day. I was on the highway when a lady merged into another car, forcing him to take the gravel shoulder. He fishtailed sideways a couple times and did a kickass job of not ditching the car. I got off to get gas further down the road and saw him fueling up as well. I mentioned the incident and he just shook his head and said that he thought he was gonna roll his car. I asked if he wanted to see the incident on my dashcam. He was very appreciative and just about shit himself when he saw how close a call it was.

So glad I bought that little thing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:14:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2015 1:20:15 PM EDT by XMM]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimEb:
My question with dash cams is do they automatically turn on when you start the car and will they continuously record over old footage when memory gets full?

Would like something that's totally set it and forget it.  Having to turn the thing on every time I get in the car and then having to manually delete old files would be a deal breaker.
View Quote

I have mine plugged in all the time. The screen is set (by me) to go off after 3 minutes, but it's still recording everything. You can set it how you like it, but I've left mine on for days without starting my vehicle and it doesn't drag the car battery down a single bit, so why not just leave it on, right?

ETA: and yes, it just records over old footage if you don't save it. It's on a loop.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:15:54 PM EDT
I've been thinking about one of these too....
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:19:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2015 1:20:46 PM EDT by akrado]
If you can get one w/ rear facing and mph that is what I regret not considering.  

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5FMDI8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:20:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2015 1:33:20 PM EDT by TheGrayMan]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:23:35 PM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimEb:

View Quote
I unplug mine from the dash cig outlet when I enter/exit.  Cord is long enough to bury around the dash/trim edges but its not a seamless install.  Makes it easier to remove this way...

If my cig lighter was powered by the ignition I could leave it in all the time.  Would be easy to wire this up, but not a hassle for me to unplug so I won't bother.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:46:20 PM EDT
I have a G1W. It has a slight flaw- the 5 min loop has a 10 second gap in recording, and the 3min loop does not. As long as that isn’t an issue, it’s great for liability protection.
Top Top