Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/23/2003 3:09:47 PM EDT
The project will be a cheapo SKS based on an old barreled receiver and some parts I've got laying around. I'm going to go with the "stainless" (light gray) finish and drop it into a monte-carlo style stock with a five round fixed mag. No comments, criticism necessary as to the "project" itself, I've got the parts as extras over the years and figured "why not."

What I really need to know is what finish I should use.

Anyone used either of these finishes before? Which do you recommend? How well do they stand up to cleaning chemicals, etc? Any specific cleaners/lubes I need to be warry of?

Links:

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117&title=ALUMA-HYDE+II

www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1145&title=TEFLON%2fMOLY+OVEN+CURE%2c+GUN+FINISH
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:24:32 PM EDT
I have used the T/M finish on many different projects and have always been happy with it. You will have to sandblast the steel to get the best adhesion though.

I haven't tried the AH yet so I can't give you an opinion on that one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:35:59 PM EDT
If you can't sand/bead blast the metal to be finished, I wouldn't bother. I've never been really happy with the spray-on finishes, either for appearance or durability.

OTOH, it might look perfectly natural on a cheapo SKS.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:44:03 PM EDT
Aluma-hyde is excellent for coating handguards, butt-stocks and small parts and will cure over time. Gun-kote or T/M would be the cat's meow for receivers and complete guns, very hard and durable finish. Also preperation is the key to a good finish.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:55:51 PM EDT
used it on my DPMS lower (over 1/3 of it), blended in great. i was really impressed with AH. good stuff!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:07:03 AM EDT
bump for the opinions of the weekday crowd. I've also come across Norrell's "Moly Resin" which in the "stainless" variety seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. [url]http://www.molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp[/url]
[red]STAINLESS STEEL[/red] Powdered stainless steel metal mixed with clear phenolic Moly Resin. Gives the appearance of brushed stainless steel when applied over any type of metal. A pleasantly surprising match to real stainless. * * * For best match to brushed stainless, this coating is recommended to be sprayed over a smooth non-abrasive air blasted surface.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:23:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/24/2003 11:25:18 AM EDT by Dolomite]
I was just doing a little reading over at [url]wecsog.org[/url] and the 'texas fal carbine' project had some pretty good photos of the guy prepping his parts for a bake-on refinish. worth a look IMO. [edited to add specific link: [url]http://wecsog.org/fal/carbine/bake.html[/url] ]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:48:00 PM EDT
Dolomite, At the risk of hijacking my own thread, that is a damn handsome FAL carbine! [img]http://wecsog.org/fal/carbine/graphics/final/falcarbine.jpg[/img]
Top Top