Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 9:16:36 PM EDT
Been dreading this day for awhile...Her rear legs quit working a year ago..she's a Corgi so her her ass is practically 3 inches from the ground anyway(vet says she wasn't in pain) so we helped her to and from the bathroom and tried to get her to use one of those doggie carts..lately she's been having accidents and a growing list of ailments including weight gain from lack of excercise...she's 13yo (we've had her 8 years)..My head says its a no brainer..probably past due....still sucks  

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear that man.  I've got a lab that's getting up there in years, he's deteriorated rapidly over the last 18 months or so.  He's not old old, but you really start to see the effects of aging all at once.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear that man.  I've got a lab that's getting up there in years, he's deteriorated rapidly over the last 18 months or so.  He's not old old, but you really start to see the effects of aging all at once.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing.

Thanks...I'm at work..my wife called....she had the kids gather around and get their pictures taken with Goldie...apparently my daughter broke down in tears when it was her turn
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
very unfortunate and sad, sounds like she might have degenerative myleopathy, which is like ms in people, there's isn't a cure for it, at the least fortunately it's a numbness and loss of use of the rear legs and tail, rather than anything painful. Although it can't be fun not to be able to get around. She seems to have had a nice long life though. She'll be in Heaven, tell your daughter that to.

God bless!!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
thats always a sad thing to do, would it be possible to go to the pound and get a puppy for the kids, or do you think it would be to soon?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
sorry man
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn dude I'm sorry to hear that but you are doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
My 18 year old died a month ago. That fucking sucked, I got that dog for my first birthday.

6 years ago the vet said she wouldn't make it more than a few weeks, but she kept fighting to the end. I couldn't put her down because she just had such a strong will to keep living, it wouldn't be right.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#8]
My condolences.

It's always sad putting down a family pet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear about that.  Corgis are good dogs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]

My kid bro back home has a corgi
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Call around and see if there's a vet who will do housecalls. Your kids should appreciate that she can exit this world with friends and family, not scared on a cold metal table.

edit:
got the wrong facey
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Pets have a wicked way of growing on you.  My 10 yr old kitty gave us a scare a few weeks ago, things were looking bad for a bit.  

My thoughts are with you and your daughter, as much as it sucks losing the little fella, it will ultimatley allow you and your daughter to bond and become stronger.

G-d's speed, little one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#14]

I have a Corgi too. Sorry you gotta put her down.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#15]
What a beautiful dog.

I only hope that when my time comes someone would extend to me the same mercy you are giving that lovely family member.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What a beautiful dog.

I only hope that when my time comes someone would extend to me the same mercy you are giving that lovely family member.

thanks......
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#17]
RIP Little One.

If it should be....
If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
then you must do what must be done,
for we know this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
but don't let grief then stay your hand,
for this day, more than the rest,
your love and friendship must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
what is to come can hold no fears.
Would you want me to suffer? So,
when the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
only stay with me until the end,
and hold me firm and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.

It is a kindness that you do to me,
although my tail it's last has waved,
from pain and suffering I have been saved.

Do not grieve, it should be you,
who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author unknown
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#18]
You are making the right decision. If you don't, things will just get worse for the pup and you guys as well. No need for senseless suffering. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#19]
wife has the kids out of the house...carrying her to the truck in a minute....trying not to look at her
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
wife has the kids out of the house...carrying her to the truck in a minute....trying not to look at her

Don't do anything that will make her feel like something is up...she'll know you're "trying not to look at her".  

Sorry to hear, it's always so hard
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Man, it's tough enough to have to put down a dog that's a part of your family.  It's gotta suck tenfold to see how upset it makes your little girl.  I feel for you, man
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#22]
One of the saddest days of my life was putting down my Golden. He was also 13. We stayed with him and held him and then me and the hubby (whom I can say I've seen cry so rarely I wonder if he has tear ducts) cried like 2 children all night.RIP, Airborne.
ETA: Sorry about your pup. You are doing the right thing...even though it feels awful.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Sorry to hear this, so sad to have to put a friend down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry to hear about your loss.  My vet says that God lets pets sleep on His bed until we join them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My condolences.

It's always sad putting down a family pet.

+1  Tell her that the dog will be in heaven
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry to hear that, man. These things are never good...

I had to put the dog down, that I grew up w/ a couple years ago. It sucked... mom was out of town, sister was out of town, dog couldn't walk, snipped at everything that got close. My dad called me, I came over and we got her to crawl onto a blanket, I drug her into the workshop, put a .22 behind the ear. The way my pop's reacted, I'm glad my mom and sister weren't there. Not sure I could ever do that again...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Where is the dog going over the rainbow poem? Get a copy of that and give it to your little girl.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Just got back...it was quick..held her on to her and looked into her eyes the whole time....cried all the way home

last night

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Man, it's tough enough to have to put down a dog that's a part of your family.  It's gotta suck tenfold to see how upset it makes your little girl.  I feel for you, man

yeah she's at scout camp today..she gets home in a few hours and it'll be her first time without her buddy...we got the dog the same month she was conceived
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Just got back...it was quick..held her on to her and looked into her eyes the whole time....cried all the way home

last night

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Voodoochile65/goldieresize.jpg

Damn.
just...damn.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

last night

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Voodoochile65/goldieresize.jpg

Damn, that picture just breaks my  heart.....
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]

I also own a Corgi, and I'm dreading when he starts having back problems.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry to hear that you had to put your dog down.  At least he/she isn't in any distress/pain anymore.

We had to put our dog down a little over three years ago.  He had weathered two strokes as well as arthritis.  He finally got to the stage where he couldn't get around to relieve himself or find his water/food bowls.  Klaus, a Mini Schnauzer, lived a bit over 14 years.  I kept him from the litter that his mother, our first Mini Schnauzer, had.

It took a few months until I was ready for a new dog.  We now have two more Mini Schnauzers, of course.

RIP VoodooChile's Corgi

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#34]
get a new puppy, surprise her
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry for your loss
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top