Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 5:55:45 PM EDT
One of my 2 cats decided that taking a piss on my sofa was funny.  Its been happening for a couple days now.  So I crated them both up in separate crates and took them to the vet.  Now I have to keep them isolated, each with their own separate kitty boxes so that I can collect urine samples from them.

Bill today was $162.00

That would buy me, like, 400 rounds of .223, or 4 pmags from gunbroker.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:58:03 PM EDT
do the cats look like this?

they can be a handful.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:00:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By anjan9:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2dshlc0.jpg

they can be a handful.

Thats an opossum, duh!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:01:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 6:04:59 PM EDT by CaptCanuck81]
Quick turnaround on the O'possum jokes. Good...good. They're never going to let that die.

btw, my sister's a vet. That $162 might be much, but she's still paying off her $145k to become a vet.

Shit ain't free (but the shots are incredibly overpriced)

ETA: Most of the vet hospitals (my area at least) have trouble making a sizeable profit. It's tough to make the big bucks when you can't slap the taxpayers with a $20k bill via la medicaid.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:04:51 PM EDT
Happened to my cat in May.

Was diagnosed with diabetes, been giving him insulin shots at 0700 and 1900 seven days a week ever since. $40 a month with needles and insulin, but the cost is much less a factor than trying to schedule life around the injections.

He's been a good friend, he gets my best.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 6:08:17 PM EDT by hondaciv]
Originally Posted By jeffers_mz:

Was diagnosed with diabetes, been giving him insulin shots at 0700 and 1900 seven days a week ever since. $40 a month with needles and insulin, but the cost is much less a factor than trying to schedule life around the injections.

Your cat started peeing in places it wasn't supposed to?  How did they rule out physiological stuff, and not behavioral?  My vet told me today that if the urine tests come back negative (testing for UTI I guess) that its a behavioral problem and that's basically the diagnosis.  Meaning, one of them isn't happy about something.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:38:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 6:39:19 PM EDT by jeffers_mz]
Originally Posted By hondaciv:

Your cat started peeing in places it wasn't supposed to?  How did they rule out physiological stuff, and not behavioral?  My vet told me today that if the urine tests come back negative (testing for UTI I guess) that its a behavioral problem and that's basically the diagnosis.  Meaning, one of them isn't happy about something.

Trying to turn my cats against me hmmm?

I see you.

They tested his blood sugar. 75-150 is normal, his was 477. Two units of insulin twice a day brought it down to 350, 3 down to 74, we settled on 2.5 twice a day and he's back to acting normal.

Dad was a diabetic, the cat began exhibiting symptoms within a week of his passing. I'm not saying dad possessed my cat, but I know him, I know how he'd feel about me having to be up at 0700 and be home at 1900 seven days a week, especially since it's a hundred mile round trip to town, and I can just hear him saying, "mmmhmmm, gotcha now."

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:48:47 PM EDT

I see you.

They tested his blood sugar. 75-150 is normal, his was 477. Two units of insulin twice a day brought it down to 350, 3 down to 74, we settled on 2.5 twice a day and he's back to acting normal.

Dad was a diabetic, the cat began exhibiting symptoms within a week of his passing. I'm not saying dad possessed my cat, but I know him, I know how he'd feel about me having to be up at 0700 and be home at 1900 seven days a week, especially since it's a hundred mile round trip to town, and I can just hear him saying, "mmmhmmm, gotcha now."

nonono... I'm glad they found out what's wrong with your cat.  I was thinking of my situation.  If the urine test is normal, I hope my vet isn't overlooking something more serious like diabetes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:37:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By anjan9:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2dshlc0.jpg

they can be a handful.

Thats an opossum, duh!

Your learning

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:44:43 PM EDT

I see you.

nonono... I'm glad they found out what's wrong with your cat.  I was thinking of my situation.  If the urine test is normal, I hope my vet isn't overlooking something more serious like diabetes.

High glucose in urine will lead them to the diabetes testing.

My cat started going in the bathtub, it was blood red.  Took him to the vet and he has since been diagnosed with FLUTD(feline lower urinary tract disorder)
$12 a month for his meds.  
They will rule out any possible health problems before they call it behavioral.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:12:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CaptCanuck81:
Quick turnaround on the O'possum jokes. Good...good. They're never going to let that die.

Not a chance...

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:13:37 PM EDT
taking them to the pound is both easier and cheaper.

I'm just sayin'
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:19:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 9:22:41 PM EDT by TaterSalad]
A .$69 can of sardines and a cup of anti-freeze will calm them right down.

I'm just sayin'...

ETA: I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that, even though it's true.
Top Top