Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2010 3:54:04 AM EDT
I was on the highway this morning going to work....and even though I was in the slow lane (going 5 over the speed-limit) I had some car humping my bumper again.  When they finally went around me I looked over and saw that it was some lady driving....like it is 95% of the time.

I don't know what it is....but it's almost ALWAYS a girl driving when I'm getting tailgated.  Do they not realize that when you're going 75mph on the highway and traffic is back to back......you need to stay farther than 10ft from the back of someones car??  

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It's usually (but not always) women.  Most people don't seem to understand that they can't drive faster than the cars in front of them in traffic.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
New Yorkers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:04:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen both. In my experience, men tend to be more aggressive drivers, women tend to be more oblivious drivers.

Almost everyone thinks they are a good driver. Almost nobody is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What I've noticed, generally its a woman.... Usually the younger crowd.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Women...

IMO men usually will just pass you legally or illegally.  Women will just sit a foot behind you until you speed up or get out of the way.  The worst is when someone is tailgating you and you move over for them and they continue to do the same speed and don't actually pass you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:14:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Brake check.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Men do it more often, but its when women do it that I get concerned. Tailgating in and of itself ain't no thing, but tailgating while putting on lipstick and blabbering to your friend on your cellphone is a recipe for fail.

Either way, the solution is the same: Stop driving slow and start keeping up with the flow of traffic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#8]
You youngin's don't remember when sgtar15 posted a thread about how proud he was to tailgate people ....

Quoted:
The worst is when someone is tailgating you and you move over for them and they continue to do the same speed and don't actually pass you.

I get that a lot but mostly because I have a Valentine One and I think they want to use me as their rabbit.  I gotta spring for one of those hidden displays.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:20:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I only rear end women.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:23:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I gotta go 50/50 on this one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#11]
If I'm in the fast lane I go at least 10 mph over the speed limit. So, if someone is riding my ass too aggressively, I let off of the gas and slow down to about 45. This has caused more than a few altercations. But, if I'm at that point I'm already pissed off so fuck em.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Women mostly.  I think some have issues with spatial awareness and don't understand the reasoning behind safe following distances.

If a man tailgates me, it's usually because he has a small penis likes to pretend his Corolla is a McLaren and wants to pass everyone, all the time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
no option for arfcommers?

where is the "if i am going 105 mph in the left lane and you are going speedlimit +10 GTF out of my way so i can tailgate the guy in front of you" crowd i know they are here

Christ i hate those people

tailgate my F150 what the fuck do i care if you want to die
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was riding my motorcycle, I found that if I looked directly at them over my shoulder, they'd back off about 95% of the time. It's as if they assume you don't know they are there. It still works while driving my car.

IMO the worst offenders are the drivers (male or female) of big pickup trucks.

Give it a try and post results.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Females.  Especially females in SUVs/Trucks.

Females tailgate because you are there.

Males tailgate because they want you to get the fuck out of their lane for a second so that they may pass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:44:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I really won't say one or the other, but rather the reason they are tailgating.  Are they wanting to pass me because I'm not going "fast enough" and therefore are doing this out of aggressiveness?  Then chances are they are paying attention and it doesn't concern me too much, but I still don't like it.   If they are preoccupied with something else (oh, like a phone) then it concerns me.  Either way I'm not going to be in front of them for long.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Women have this natural tendency to want to be close to other people.  Thats why they go to the bathroom with each other....

Women will on a two lane road, speed up specifically to get close to another car just because they feel more comfortable close to people.  They can't stand being alone on the road.  So they get on your ass, and sit there.

Men, we are aggressive drivers.  We want to go our speed and we will tailgate looking for a way around a driver thats going slower, nothing personal(at least not for me anyway).  I personally will ride someones ass HARD if they are in the far left lane for no fucking reason at all.  Its a passing lane guys, not the fast lane.  Just because you THINK you are going fast enough to be in the 'fast lane' doesn't mean you have a right to drive over there indefinitely. If on a two lane road(one lane in each direction) i will not tailgate if there is no way i can pass the vehicle in front of me.  I will only get closer when i have an available passing opportunity.

I think men do it on purpose but most of the time not to piss off the person in front of us, women do it because they either feel more comfortable there, or they are doing something else besides paying attention to driving.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Women... they'll tailgate you while texting, eating, applying makeup, and yelling at their kids all at the same time.

Cops are the worst offenders though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:59:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I voted that men are worse....but, if women wouldn't drive in the LH lane slowing down traffic, they wouldn't be tailgated.

I don't tail gate, I get my lines and roll. People do not care about two things anymore:

Gym etiquette and driving etiquette
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:18:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Men do it willingly, women/ girls do it unconsciously.
Who is more dangerous...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Sex doesn't make a difference in who is tailgating.

I will share a tailgating story.  I am driving.  Two of my brothers are in the car with me.  We are commuting to school.  It is raining.  We are going downhill on a street with one lane in each direction, with the lane slightly disappearing if some one has parked in front of his house.

A guy in a hurry decides to pass on this mountain road and guns it.  As he starts to go around, he realizes that there is a car coming up hill directly at him.  He hits the brakes and does a 180 and hits the curb.  I gently apply my brakes.  Stop momentarily and then continue on my way.

Asshat.

People in the mountainous rich area of Los Angeles complained about speeders and tailgaters.  Bumps were put into the street and the police kept statistics.  Most of the tailgaters and speeders were people who lived in the canyons and not people simply traversing the canyons to go elsewhere.

Always bear in mind the following.  You might know where you are going, how the streets normally flow and where the blindspots are.  The guy in front of you may not.  Don't tailgate him.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Women mostly. I think some have issues with spatial awareness and don't understand the reasoning behind safe following distances.

If a man tailgates me, it's usually because he has a small penis likes to pretend his Corolla is a McLaren and wants to pass everyone, all the time.

I think you are 100% right about that. Most guys ( I would hope ) have enough knowledge of physics and mechanics to know that a heavy 4000lb+ car traveling at 60+ mph takes a while to stop.....and being right on someone s bumper does not leave enough time to keep from hitting them if they ever hit the brakes hard.  Guys on the other hand, will tailgate because they want to pass or are just doing it to be a jerk.  But I think that most women don't even know they are tail gating......they have no idea that it's stupid to get that close.  I do have a few guy friends that always tailgate when I ride with them...but they aren't doing it because they are trying to pass or make the other driver go faster...they just ride everyone's ass...I don't even think they know they are doing it. They are all pretty low on smarts and common sense also....so that speaks for itself....

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Usually a woman.

Although, I am guilty of tailgating the dude in the far left lane doing 67mph.  Luckily, they tend to move.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#24]
When I've seen it, it's usually a guy. What I've experienced is that men drive with aggression and women are just clueless. Both can be bad, but I'd rather deal with aggressive drivers than driver's in la-la land.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#25]
My wife does it without noticing it.  I do it intentionally to the left lane cruisers to tell them to get the fuck out of the way.

My wife can be driving in the middle lane at 75 miles an hour and come up on someone traveling 65.  Despite having the left or right lane open, she'll proceed to tailgate them until I ask her what the fuck she's doing.  At that point she realizes the bumper she's been staring at for the last 2 minutes is a bit too close to avoid in an emergency stop.  Then she'll proceed to make a lane change; but without fail the brakes must be tapped while she checks her blind spot.  I don't think it's possible for her to change lanes without braking and slowing down a few mph.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Women, because with their lack of depth perception, they oftentimes don't know they are tailgating.

Bama, can you tell how close someone is to another driver, when they are coming towards you, based on the sound of their tires?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My wife does it without noticing it.  I do it intentionally to the left lane cruisers to tell them to get the fuck out of the way.

My wife can be driving in the middle lane at 75 miles an hour and come up on someone traveling 65.  Despite having the left or right lane open, she'll proceed to tailgate them until I ask her what the fuck she's doing.  At that point she realizes the bumper she's been staring at for the last 2 minutes is a bit too close to avoid in an emergency stop.  Then she'll proceed to make a lane change; but without fail the brakes must be tapped while she checks her blind spot.  I don't think it's possible for her to change lanes without braking and slowing down a few mph.

I honestly think women are just shittier at driving. Nothing against the gender, but honestly, every woman I've ever driven with is shitty to an extent, unless they've been in a serious accident, then they'll generally wise up a bit and drive with less retardation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Men are far more aggressive drivers. Women are just *bad* drivers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I notice that most people who tailgate do it because of a lack of brain activity. They'll get behind someone who is doing 5-10 under the limit, and it doesn't even occur to them to pass, even if they were caught up to this person by going 5-10 over the limit. The next person catches up to the second and may want to pass but can't pass two vehicles and there isn't enough room to pass one, then the other. If I'm tail gating someone it is because I'm ggoing to exploit a passing zone, if there's no passing zone I will back off several car length's so I'm not riding my brakes. This is all on a 2 lane road. 4 lanes or more and I don't know what people are thinking.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Men are far more aggressive drivers. Women are just *bad* drivers.

Ok, I change my answer to this.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I never have trouble with tailgaters. I can't think of a single instance where someone tailgated me. My commute is drama free. Of course, I don't dick around in the left lane or impede the progress of others.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I never have trouble with tailgaters. I can't think of a single instance where someone tailgated me. My commute is drama free. Of course, I don't dick around in the left lane or impede the progress of others.

Me too, but, sometimes when I'm trapped in traffic.......I'm REAL happy to see the tailgater is a man rather than a woman!!

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a 55 mile commute one way for all of last year. I spent a lot of time on the road. Women are accountable for about 80% of all tailgating, road rage, speeding, and crappy driving I have witnessed.

Oh and In Before Duggan Explains How The Entire Road Is His And He Can Drive Like A DBag If He Wants To.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Women most of the time. They're the worst drivers around here besides old people who do 3-5 under the limit and then when it rains slow down to 30mph in a 55mph zone and turn their flashers on. That shit makes me RAGE. I have good tires, polarized sunglasses, quick reaction time, and a place to be at a certain time. Please get the fuck out of my way, or if you're not comfortable driving, pull over.

And I'm not talking a thunderous downpour where you can't see the road at all and are basically driving blind... I'm talking an afternoon shower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#36]
If I was to advise Bama, I would suggest he closely watch any woman driving a red colored SUV.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#37]
It always seems to be dudes in pickup trucks around here.  They also happen to be the same ones I see pull crazy stunts like flying across 3 lanes of traffic on the highway to get off at an exit they almost missed.

I like to match speeds with the person next to me when I have a tailgating truck douche behind, so then they get 'trapped'.  It's funny to watch them come apart like a child throwing a tantrum in my rear view.  Then again, I am a bit of an asshole.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Men tailgate more, women drive five miles under the speedlimit in the fast lane more.

While talking on their cell phone.

Driving tip for all you brake check bastards.
If I am following to close, move over and let me pass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't know.. 90% of the time all I see is the fucking grille of the truck...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

When I was riding my motorcycle, I found that if I looked directly at them over my shoulder, they'd back off about 95% of the time. It's as if they assume you don't know they are there. It still works while driving my car.

IMO the worst offenders are the drivers (male or female) of big pickup trucks.

Give it a try and post results.

What I've found out when I ride my motorcycle is that if you keep a pocket full of pennies and toss a small handful over your shoulder when someone is tailgating you, they also back off about 95% of the time

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Where I live men tailgate more (one of my best friends is the worst - I won't even ride with him anymore), and women are talking on the cell phone more.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I get tailgated by men far more often than women. For some reason driving the speed limit like i'm supposed to enrages men. They tailgate me, then cut me off, and make a point to show me how truly gigantic their penis must be, based on their driving. I don't speed. If they don't like how fast I'm driving, they can move into the fucking fast lane. That's what it's for. D'oh.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Usually, I'm tailgated by men whether or not I'm going the speed limit, though I've been guilty of it also (rarely though, I'm too paranoid). I've also been rear ended twice, both times by men.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Usually, I'm tailgated by men whether or not I'm going the speed limit, though I've been guilty of it also (rarely though, I'm too paranoid). I've also been rear ended twice, both times by men.

*snicker*

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Get your focking ass our of the fast lane and I won't ride your ass.

People want to just get on with their day, they're not riding your ass cause they personally want to piss you off. As a matter of fact I could give two shits about you. Get over in the next lane and watch how I drive by you and never see you again.

If involving yourself in others business on the road gives you a sick pleasure, then quit your job and become a cop cause we don' t need civilians trying to act like cops on the road.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Brake check.

Yep works everytime, and If you drive a beater, brake harder
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

People want to just get on with their day, they're not riding your ass cause they personally want to piss you off. As a matter of fact I could give two shits about you. Get over in the next lane and watch how I drive by you and never see you again.

If involving yourself in others business on the road gives you a sick pleasure, then quit your job and become a cop cause we don' t need civilians trying to act like cops on the road.

...then please explain the people that ride my ass when I'm in the right lane, and there is NOBODY in the left lane of the road at all?    If they wanted to pass...they could. If they wanted to go faster.....they could.  They are tailgating because they have no common sense, and they thing a 10ft following distance at 75mph is acceptable.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...then please explain the people that ride my ass when I'm in the right lane, and there is NOBODY in the left lane of the road at all?    If they wanted to pass...they could. If they wanted to go faster.....they could.  They are tailgating because they have no common sense, and they thing a 10ft following distance at 75mph is acceptable.

this. I stay out of the fast lanes. All I want in my commute is to go the speed limit, which to some people is an unreasonable desire to have.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Women have an innate spatial deficit that, among other things,  makes them poor drivers.
That part of their brains is occupied by matching potholders.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top