Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2007 7:11:00 PM EDT
I was curious why some European made cars have a feature that when activated, it illuminates one rear tail light of the car? My guess would be for foggy conditions maybe?
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:16:34 PM EDT
I've been told that they use it as a marker light for parking on the side of the road where there are no street lights.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:20:03 PM EDT
I have heard the same, so people don't wreck into your car.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:20:06 PM EDT
Yep - parking lights.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:21:24 PM EDT
I spent a few weeks as an exchange student in Duren(in 1990). The family I stayed with said it was for fog.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:24:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:
Yep - parking lights.

Negative.

The brighter rear light (in the left taillight) is the rear foglight.

There is another, lower wattage bulb in the headlights of Euro spec cars that is for parking in areas w/o good street lighting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:43:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ShakenNotStirred:

Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:
Yep - parking lights.

Negative.

The brighter rear light (in the left taillight) is the rear foglight.

There is another, lower wattage bulb in the headlights of Euro spec cars that is for parking in areas w/o good street lighting.

Correct, it is a fog light. People buy them in the US to put on older Porsches and BMW 2002's. Very common in Germany. I had one on my Porsche 912 and an early 911 I had.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:10:44 AM EDT
They're called... get this...

FOG LIGHTS.

My Boxster has that feature. You pull the headlight switch, and you get the front fogs. You pull it one more time, and one of the bulbs in the driver's side tail light comes on brighter.

Americans don't know what the fuck it is, tho!
Top Top