Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/20/2004 9:32:13 AM EST
While purusing the online auctions sites I picked up a black tactical vest pretty cheap. Seeing I can't shoot for a few more weeks because of a shoulder injury, I've been keeping busy doing other gun related stuff. The vest has a cross draw holster for my Sig 229 and 2 sleeves to hold mags for it. It also has three sleeves for AR mags, but it also has a slew of various other pouches and sleeves for other equipment.

With that said, what do you think is "MUST HAVE" equipment on a SHTF tactical vest? Besides loaded magazines that is. Granted, I'm never going to wear this unless things go terribly wrong, but it's nice to know I have it fully stocked in the event I need it.

The vest came with a belt thats attached through the vest loops and has area's for attachements as well. So if you think I need something more then the vest will hold, I can add them as well. The back of the vest comes with the hardware to install a Camelback or other hydration system, but I'm not sure if that is the right choice or if a canteen on the belt would be better.

So what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:36:47 AM EST
Armour with trauma sheilds and amphetamines.

Just kidding. How about a good knife?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:38:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 9:38:47 AM EST by captainpooby]
Your chest, otherwise it doesnt work right.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:40:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 9:40:53 AM EST by lawsec]

Originally Posted By Rockrivr1:
With that said, what do you think is "MUST HAVE" equipment on a SHTF tactical vest? Besides loaded magazines that is.

TRAINING. Without it, the vest makes you a closet commando. With it, the vest may allow you to effectively carry the tools to help make you effective.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:40:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 9:41:58 AM EST by Palo_Duro]
It depends on what you intend to use it for. If its soley for SHTF - then have a military lensatic compass and a military strobe.

Many other suggestions but that'll start the list.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:47:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By Rockrivr1:
While purusing the online auctions sites I picked up a black tactical vest pretty cheap. Seeing I can't shoot for a few more weeks because of a shoulder injury, I've been keeping busy doing other gun related stuff. The vest has a cross draw holster for my Sig 229 and 2 sleeves to hold mags for it. It also has three sleeves for AR mags, but it also has a slew of various other pouches and sleeves for other equipment.

With that said, what do you think is "MUST HAVE" equipment on a SHTF tactical vest? Besides loaded magazines that is. Granted, I'm never going to wear this unless things go terribly wrong, but it's nice to know I have it fully stocked in the event I need it.

The vest came with a belt thats attached through the vest loops and has area's for attachements as well. So if you think I need something more then the vest will hold, I can add them as well. The back of the vest comes with the hardware to install a Camelback or other hydration system, but I'm not sure if that is the right choice or if a canteen on the belt would be better.

So what do you think?

You better wear/train with it before SHTF for one very simple reason. You won't know how well it will work the way you have it set up if you don't. I shoot with my vest on as much as possible. There were some things(pouches on a belt radio set up etc..) that while they looked like they would work good where I had them, in reality were not in good places, I would not have known that had I not started shooting with the set up. When SHTF it's a bad time to find out yer gear is set up in a way that is not going to work all that well.

As to what to keep on it. First aid kit, water, ammo, compass and maps, find a spot to put a small E&E kit, also hide a power bar or three in it someplace there is lots of stuff. Hit the survival forum, most stuff like this has been hashed over a gazillion times so there is some really good info there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:55:36 AM EST
Search function................
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:57:37 AM EST
Trauma bandage, tampon(for bullet wound), any medications you need, power bars, water(canteen or camelback), I prefer a canteen but a camelback holds more. In an arid environment get both. water purification,good knife, multiplier, spare glasses or sunglasses, lighter, hexamine or other tinder, comms.

That's about as far as I'd go with a vest, wanna keep it fairly light.
Drag handle.

Originally Posted By IYAOYAS467:
Search function................

+1 and visit the dang Survival Forum. They have more info on this than anywhere else.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:59:23 AM EST
Hang as much crap on it as you can....As long as it is tactical....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:58:20 AM EST
Thanks for the replys everyone. I tried doing a search, but didnt' find what I was looking for so I posted the question.

Some of you stated to look into a survival forum. Does anyone have a link or address for one of these forums. There was some good advise, but I might as well see what the people on that forum have to say.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:02:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 6:04:42 AM EST by photoman]
We have our own survival forum here. It's part of the greater general section. Click the tab up above that says general, than look down the page of all the forums and you'll see it.
ah here is a link.
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=123
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:26:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:48:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By BookHound:
Tagged for later. I'll post something of more value later when I have time. For now, I'll just say I think vests with the pistol holster attached suck ass. Just MHO, YMMV. Your pistol is your secondary weapon. If you must ditch your vest, where is your pistol? Also, try doing transition drills from your primary (rifle/carbine) to your seconday with a pistol. Kinda sucks, doesn't it?

I'll also echo the other comments about training with your gear. You have no idea how things will work for you unless you use them. And you do NOT want to find out in a SHTF situation that your gear sucks.

I tend to have to agree on the weapons trasition with a cross draw vest. I got a chance to check out a friends crass draw and when I did transitions with it on it just wasn't right. My rifle hanging down and having to reach accross the rifle thats accross my chest to get to the handgun.... no thanks. Besides that it's more natural to reach down in a situation like that. Thats why I like thigh holsters.

Rockrivr1 another thing to consider is that yer gunna want to carry more shit in a SHTF situation than will be able to fit on that vest. A good pack is a must as well. Yah I can put a lot of shit on my vest, infact enough shit to last me for maybe 3 days, but thats not going to be the best situation in the world infact it will be a very spartan, but it would still get me through three days. The vest is only one part of the "system" I don't like using a belt attached to my vest, it throws off the balance for me, though I'm still experimenting with it a bit to find something that will balance right. I carry extra stuff on a seprate pistol belt. Drop leg holster, SMP, and than I can add and take things off as I see fit, if the need arises to have to dump the vest, I still have ammo for the pistol, and the pistol and a couple extra mags for the AR(20rd mags).

It's all about layers, which you will commonly see refered to as "lines".
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:33:22 AM EST
+1 on posting in the survival forum. Go with the camel back AND canteen. Never know when you'll be in a place without water. Some food items would be a good idea. Power bars , that kind of stuff. Matches, lighter. Maybe fishing stuff if your headed towards lakes , streams. Other than that a head lamp would probably help. I suggest like others have , wear your vest. Get used to it. Go hiking in it. I wear mine everytime I go camping and have memorized all of the pockets as to what they have in them. Since your up North you may want to consider warm hand ,feet packets.Good luck, I hope this helps. Take care.
Top Top