Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 2:52:22 PM EDT
Simple question.  Do I spend the money to do dual core technology or not?  I usually keep a computer four years or so.  I definitely want 64 bit.  I do write multi-threaded code from time to time so it would vey cool for that, but for the most part I'm surfing the web and doing mail.  I do run a small site on my computer.  

ETA:  Should I buy the cpu/motherboard combo?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say yes.  It certainly can't hurt.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]
you run a website off your PC....ohhh k.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If funds permit go with an AMD dual core.  If not get a single core one on a MB that will accept the dual core as a drop in replacement later on.  Since you are going to ask about RAM sooner or later my rule of thumb for modern computing 2 GB per CPU.  So a dual core machine would get 4 1 GB sticks.  I run Win XP Pro X64 bit edition and it loves RAM and will take all you can through at it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you run a website off your PC....ohhh k.

It's not much.  Mostly use it for testing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top